Which coil conversion is best?

coil conversion

Overall, this thread has been very helpful. I bought my Mark already converted, and it seems my suspension's missing a lot of missing stuff, like perches and isolators, which explains why it rides and corners like crap! I'm still doing the hub/brake mod, and went to Ford Service to have my knuckle bearings replaced. Those clowns wanted almost 250 bucks, and that's with the knuckles off the car! I asked around and found a place to do it for 80 bucks, and in the process found my upper knuckle bushings shot. The bushing kit DLF has is excellent, but not in my price range right now, so after some searching I found a poly kit for 90 bucks. The Cobra forums have a lot of info on IRS. To my point, some things you only want to fix once, so it may be worth it to save up for the good stuff, or buy the best in pieces. Especially if you've got big HP. My Mark will be a daily driver, so its not that big a deal. Some opinions will vary depending on how the car will be driven, not necessarily right or wrong. Thanks for your time.

Bought and paid for those ebay rears just now, I gotta give my buddy his car back ASAP and school is kicking the sh*t outta me, so I'm gonna have to kick my ass into gear and fix this car, lol.

what shocks then?

What shocks do you recommend with the colil conversion? I've recently converted to a Struttmaster on all 4 wheels and the rear seems to rattle like a shock would do. the shocks were replaced earlier with (I think) monroe's. Sugestions??
Hey thats almost right if it wasnt wrong. Ford since damn near the begining of time has valved the shocks in accordance with the springs only iys opposite of what you said. When Ford reduces spring rate they increase bound/rebound on their shocks. Take the 93 Cobra for instance. To make it handle better its springs are softer then GT springs but they have firmer shocks to compensate.
Ive confirmed this in my 97 Mark as well that had stock Mark shocks in the rear on its conversion vs a new pair of T-Bird shocks before I bought my Tokico shocks. The Marks shocks were harder to compress and rebounded much faster.
So the "springy" ride is due to now having a firmer spring and a shock thats trying to compensate for a softer spring.

Thats why a lot of spring converted Marks ride like crap. Need to have the suspension work together, not against itself.

So yes, you do need different shocks on a coil converted Mark in the rear but its cause the valving is too tight on a Mark for a higher rate spring.

Tokico blues if money is an issue.

Koni yellows if not.

I have the rear kit. It's OK, but it's a little harsh and bouncy. I think Suncore may sell those fronts as restickered arnotts. They look like my arnott fronts almost exactly. The rear kit DOES NOT come with the mount perches as shown, they come with strutmasters style perches with small rubber isolators and a metal locator with bent tabs to hold the spring. Regardless, as a budget kit I bet this would be a damn good deal, I would have bought it if it were available at the time I bought my Suncore rear kit for $179.99+ tax. I paid $100 for a used front kit from a friend in great shape from Arnott, but it has no warranty, I'd rather have had this.

I have the rear kit. It's OK, but it's a little harsh and bouncy. I think Suncore may sell those fronts as restickered arnotts. They look like my arnott fronts almost exactly. The rear kit DOES NOT come with the mount perches as shown, they come with strutmasters style perches with small rubber isolators and a metal locator with bent tabs to hold the spring. Regardless, as a budget kit I bet this would be a damn good deal, I would have bought it if it were available at the time I bought my Suncore rear kit for $179.99+ tax. I paid $100 for a used front kit from a friend in great shape from Arnott, but it has no warranty, I'd rather have had this.

yeah,i am surprised at the low cost, could the dampeners be that cheap that i would regret saving the money buying this set? i gotta mull this over.

You get what you pay for.

Ya know, while there is an ultimate truth to that, sometimes there are good deals to be had by being frugal or not paying for top of the line. I don't really think there's any harm in bang-for-your-buck, especially in cars like mine that are project cars to fix up while I drive while I'm in college. One day, when I really give a damn about my car I'll stop buying cheap high mileage projects and get a good project going, like yours ;). Until them I'm thrifty , or at least always looking for a deal. I was, and still am happy with my suncore rear kit. I'd have loved to pay $267 for a new kit to tide me over until I do a nice custom setup, but instead I paid the same price for new rear and used front.

Ya know, while there is an ultimate truth to that, sometimes there are good deals to be had by being frugal or not paying for top of the line. I don't really think there's any harm in bang-for-your-buck, especially in cars like mine that are project cars to fix up while I drive while I'm in college. One day, when I really give a damn about my car I'll stop buying cheap high mileage projects and get a good project going, like yours ;). Until them I'm thrifty , or at least always looking for a deal. I was, and still am happy with my suncore rear kit. I'd have loved to pay $267 for a new kit to tide me over until I do a nice custom setup, but instead I paid the same price for new rear and used front.

these are my thought too, if i was building a sweet ride like lasers,i would go the money route,but for wanting a nice mark 8 and keeping it cheap enough to get through life right now, this looks like a ok kit,

$267 now, and then i have the components for later to purchase a good set of front / rear shocks(struts,whatever) when a little extra cash is laying around.

as long as the springs dont rot out in 2 years time it would be a decent deal for me anyway.

I tell ya, I have been in two cars with Strutmasters. One pisses me off and I hate riding in that car still (sprry Sapper), the other was my 97 and it was stock height. I got sea sick sometimes in that car. Ive vbeen in two cars with the Arnott setup and they are really close to air and are quieter systems plus like Jamie said they have damn nice perches. Simple as hell to install too. I just removed a complete setup from the 93 in under 30 minutes with only a 13mm socket, 18mm wrench and a 21mm. Very nice and easy.
I agree 100%. I own three marks 97, 97, and 98. The 98 has air and there's nothing like it but if coil conversion is the only option then I recommend the Arnott set up also as opposed to the Strut Master set. The Arnott to me is as close to the air feel you might get without it being air itself and the Strut masters just ride like a school bus, not happy about that at all. You can just tell the quality and build of the Arnott is just better, perches and the rubber all good quality stuff!

I installed the arnott kit a few months ago and I can say that I'm satisfisd with my kit. It was so easy to install that I almost did'nt need the instructions.
The parts look and feel like good quality stuff.
I have no problems with this kit so far, and I would buy it again.

Staff online

Members online

Back