Which coil conversion is best?

jack it up and put some pieces of 2x4 on top of the front upper control arms, and in the rear stick them in between the upper rear control arms and the frame rail, then lower it back down the wood will keep it up to get it on the tow truck. if you want i will take pics at my shop tomorrow of what i mean i have a 97 outside sitting like this so i could roll it outside out of my way. send me a text tomorrow and i will text you a pic where to put the wood. 727-678-3223

you cant put springs over an old air strut lol!!!

i could have sworn i saw a post on here where someone took apart an old air stut and used it for their coils? figured that was a dumb question

i could have sworn i saw a post on here where someone took apart an old air stut and used it for their coils? figured that was a dumb question
You see lots of people on here try to do stupid chit and them insist its the way to go on here. That one I havent seen yet though. :lol:

rear shocks

when you change to springs change your shocks air ride is valved softer that's why the springy. ride.

when you change to springs change your shocks air ride is valved softer that's why the springy. ride.
Hey thats almost right if it wasnt wrong. Ford since damn near the begining of time has valved the shocks in accordance with the springs only iys opposite of what you said. When Ford reduces spring rate they increase bound/rebound on their shocks. Take the 93 Cobra for instance. To make it handle better its springs are softer then GT springs but they have firmer shocks to compensate.
Ive confirmed this in my 97 Mark as well that had stock Mark shocks in the rear on its conversion vs a new pair of T-Bird shocks before I bought my Tokico shocks. The Marks shocks were harder to compress and rebounded much faster.
So the "springy" ride is due to now having a firmer spring and a shock thats trying to compensate for a softer spring.

Thats why a lot of spring converted Marks ride like crap. Need to have the suspension work together, not against itself.

So yes, you do need different shocks on a coil converted Mark in the rear but its cause the valving is too tight on a Mark for a higher rate spring.

With that being said, which setup up would you personally recommend (specifically which struts to use in the front and shocks to use in the back)?

If money is no object, Koni Yellows. They freakin rock and are adjustable. If they are too much then Tokico Blues or Illuminas are great for cars that are stockish height or lowered. KYB is ok for cars that are stock height.
Cobr rear Bilstiens also rock just cant get Bilstiens for the front any more. :(

Money is a considerable factor for me, and I would prefer to keep the stock height of the car. If I do get a customized kit, I'm leaning towards the Moog CC888/CC861 T-Bird springs. Would using Motorcraft T-Bird shocks and struts be a good option?

Tokico Blues and KYB whites are cheaper and better then Ford stock shocks.

Good to know. Are the aforementioned Moog springs stock height? Thanks.

I also noticed a site that sells the KYB GR2 kit of shocks and struts for the T-Bird. Which would you says is better for stock height: Tokico or KYB?

So, I wanted to order the arnott kit. I accidentally bumped into a friend and he has 2 very clean used front coilovers he will sell me for $100 that are black which means they aren't strutmasters. I am picking them up tommorrow. I think my best course of action to get my car moving is to grab a rear kit on ebay for $180 regardless of the non-ideal spring perches http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310173106577&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT.

We all want the best, but I think given my budget, this stuff will be fine, and I may as well save some money here. I think later on down the road I will start to build a t-bird conversion little-by-little after this car is able to be driven and cleaned up some. Dropping $430 on a spring conversion when I spent $1000 on the car isn't really my cup of tea right now. When I am in love with it (if it's worthy), later on when it's a good looking car again, I may change my mind, who knows?

What is in the front? :confused:
Shocks.

Struts take the place of upper control arms and usually are where the castor and camber are set from.
Our cars have UCAs and the camber adjustment is on the LCA mount with the castor being changed by the strut rod nuts.

bill sometimes you say stupid things. it is a strut with an air bladder around it. it is a strut catridge, its not a shock. you call it a shock, so ford is wrong, and everything eddie ever posted on american air is wrong too!
BOTH FRONT NEW AFTERMARKET AIR STRUTS for a '93-'98 Lincoln Mark VIII
NEW FORD O.E.M. DRIVERS SIDE FRONT AIR STRUT for a '93-'98 Lincoln Mark VIII(8)

bill sometimes you say stupid things. it is a strut with an air bladder around it. it is a strut catridge, its not a shock. you call it a shock, so ford is wrong, and everything eddie ever posted on american air is wrong too!
BOTH FRONT NEW AFTERMARKET AIR STRUTS for a '93-'98 Lincoln Mark VIII
NEW FORD O.E.M. DRIVERS SIDE FRONT AIR STRUT for a '93-'98 Lincoln Mark VIII(8)
Yea douche, I just got into it with Thaywood a couple months ago saying the same damn thing as you. Then I did research on the fancy interwebz machine and refreshed myself as to what the difference is between a strut and a shock.
Our front components are more of a coil over shock but with air.
A strut also turns with the steering and is attached to the spindle/knuckle.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_t...absorber_and_can_they_be_used_interchangeably

Ford calls the old pushrod 302 a 5.0 and its a 4.9 and the Ford parts catalog has the wrong pics and parts numbers for 03/04 Cobra cooling crossovers and thermostat bypass hose. They are wrong from time to time.

its a strut ball licker.
this is an air shock
shockMA708.jpg

we all know them as air struts so just leave it at that why go confusing people specially newbies jesus christ do we have to be correct all the time on here? its an air strut.

Another question. I noticed that the KYB GR-2 T-Bird shocks are considerably cheaper than the Tokico blues. Are the Tokico blues so much better than the KYB shocks to spend the extra money? Again, I'm keeping the stock height and would like good handling and ride comfort. Thanks.

i got gr-2's on mine i dont know how much tokico's are but i'll never find out either its a shock, mine work, and when they crap out, i'll replace them with 40 dollar monroes!

That's all I wanted to know. BTW, a set of Tokico blues are about $100 more than a set of KYB GR-2's. Thanks for your help.

its a strut ball licker.
this is an air shock
shockMA708.jpg

we all know them as air struts so just leave it at that why go confusing people specially newbies jesus christ do we have to be correct all the time on here? its an air strut.
An air shock is a different animal from what we were talking about. We have air springs with a gas and/or oil SHOCK cartridge in them.
You know thats right and I given the info to prove I am right. Swallow your pride after you are done swallowing Alex's jizz and admit it. I was the same wrong as you and admited my mistake to Thaywood. I hate being wrong too but unfortunatly I am a dumb ass and am usually wrong...... just not now! :p
Another question. I noticed that the KYB GR-2 T-Bird shocks are considerably cheaper than the Tokico blues. Are the Tokico blues so much better than the KYB shocks to spend the extra money? Again, I'm keeping the stock height and would like good handling and ride comfort. Thanks.

The KYB is smoother then the Tokico but the Tokico has better controll. The Tokico will last longer too but for the price, on stockish ride height the KYB is a good choice.

Oh boy, my thread is gonna get locked...:wrench

Nah, I'm just kidding.

Anyway, I'm sure people hate me for going economical, but the front ...um... conversion kit parts.... I got were in very nice shape, and I trust they are good since I got them from someone I know. Will it be bad if I get the Suncore $180 rear kit from ebay? I think I want to do alot of other more important things to my car before I worry about lowering and handling. A good set of tires and wheels (since I need tires anyway) will make me happy before a 1.5'' drop will.

Members online

No members online now.
Back