Which coil conversion is best?

Big Mike

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What kit do you guys think I should get to convert my '97 to springs? To keep the air-ride I'd need a compressor assembly, 2 front bags, air-ride computer, and proabably one new rear line. I think coils are the way to go. Which kit is best for ride/handling?

Click on the link in my signature and go to American Air Suspension ... follow links on the site to find what you need.

Eddie is a great guy and knows his $hit on air ride and suspension parts. Contact Eddie with any questions ... he's the guy to go through for the parts you are looking for.

If u don't want to lower it but want great handling try and find supercoupe springs they r the same spring rate as eibachs but it keeps the stock heigth..... well besides the back u need thicker isolators on the lower control arm....

$449 bucks shipped
http://www.americanairsuspension.com/cart/proddetail.php?prod=MK8CV

or
$429 bucks shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ries&fits=Model:Mark+VIII&hash=item588b4505ab

me personally think the arnott springs ride better and install much nicer, they have the billet perches that hold the rear springs instead of just floating like the strutmasters kit.
i wouldnt recommend any air suspension parts from arnott but the coil spring kits i would, i have, and owned myself on personal marks of mine, i have owned marks with both kits and i prefer the arnott kit over strutmasters.

I've heard good things about the Strutmasters kit, but have also heard that using Moog springs and Tokico blue shocks is another popular option.

i was going to get the strutmasters kit and was told by other members on here that cutting the springs was ok on the kit.

Best? Buy upper rear shock mounts from strutmasters, spring perches from dlf, your fav tbird SC/v8 lowering springs (linear rate are my personal fav. but many prefer progressive rate), buy some new upper spring mounts for a tbird for the front, buy some beat up junkyard front shock bodies, and the koni tbird shock kit.

Okay alot to go through here, and I have a couple of questions. I'll post a reply when I have some time after I get done with all this homework.

$449 bucks shipped
http://www.americanairsuspension.com/cart/proddetail.php?prod=MK8CV

or
$429 bucks shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ries&fits=Model:Mark+VIII&hash=item588b4505ab

me personally think the arnott springs ride better and install much nicer, they have the billet perches that hold the rear springs instead of just floating like the strutmasters kit.
i wouldnt recommend any air suspension parts from arnott but the coil spring kits i would, i have, and owned myself on personal marks of mine, i have owned marks with both kits and i prefer the arnott kit over strutmasters.
I tell ya, I have been in two cars with Strutmasters. One pisses me off and I hate riding in that car still (sprry Sapper), the other was my 97 and it was stock height. I got sea sick sometimes in that car. Ive vbeen in two cars with the Arnott setup and they are really close to air and are quieter systems plus like Jamie said they have damn nice perches. Simple as hell to install too. I just removed a complete setup from the 93 in under 30 minutes with only a 13mm socket, 18mm wrench and a 21mm. Very nice and easy.

I'm a little lost with the t-bird parts. I understand the idea, but I'm missing some things. Can someone who has done this install please throw a parts list together? Nothing detailed, you don't have to go in depth with prices or part numbers. I'd really appreciate a list of the parts I need to buy, and where they comes from (i.e. strutmasters, arnott, junkyard, a new t-bird part, etc.). People seem to chip in with great info, but it's hard to make sense of it all for me... perches, mounts, different brands, different applications... I am new to this! The part that seems like a headache, to me, is getting a machine shop to make rear spring locators, and assembling the front struts since I do not have, nor know how to use, a spring compressor.

This thread was mildly helpful, however, I see some of the same confusing things: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=66807

You have a couple of choices:

1. Buy a complete conversion kit from a vendor.

2. Convert to 93-97 Thunderbird parts.

To convert to the T-bird parts you'll need the following:

A pair of Thunderbird front shocks, your choice of brands.

A pair of front shock upper mounts.

Thunderbird springs of your choice. I like H&R's p/n 51624.

Rear spring isolators, upper and lower. Either 4 pieces from Ford or 2 of Prothane p/n 6-1709.

Upper and lower springs perches for the rear as neither the Mark VIII body or the LCA has one. You can cut the upper perches off of a junkyard car and weld them in, or make your own. You can also make lower perches, or buy them from someone.

I make both the uppers and lower perches. Not cheap, but they're the best available that I'm aware of.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=62875

Last edited:
Lowering would be great, but the t-bird route seems like a headache, considering that I can't just go out and buy the rear spring perches.

Would it be easiest to just cut the springs on a pre-fab kit? I hear as many say that it's fine as I do saying it dangerous.

if i was you i'd just get the arnott kit and call it a day.

Lowering would be great, but the t-bird route seems like a headache, considering that I can't just go out and buy the rear spring perches.

Would it be easiest to just cut the springs on a pre-fab kit? I hear as many say that it's fine as I do saying it dangerous.

:confused:

Read the thread I posted the link to, you can buy both the upper and lower perches from me, but they're not cheap.

I wouldn't recommend cutting springs, but many have done it.

The almost universal complaint about the conversion kits are too soft springs and shocks, but the cost is lower. If you read what's posted here in your thread, it sounds like the Arnott kit is better.

The Thunderbird conversion will cost more, but you'll have more options, both now, and in the future.

I read your link, I like the stuff you make, I just cannot afford it. Not to be insulting, I am sure they are worth every penny. My aim was to buy good quality, but to be as affordable as possible. I want to knock out all I can to make this car reliable and nice, and the better value:dollar I get, the more I can fix/improve. Also, I am trying to be fairly quick, as I cannot have this car sitting on the tires in my parking lot for long. I expect it to be tagged by the management soon.

My '95 was converted, IDK what kit it was though. It was a little soft. The shocks/struts were Monroe, and they were very crappy, they didn't absorb impact well at all.

Regardless, I am still researching, and I always seem confused and unsure until I nail down a plan. Sorry if I seem like an idiot. lol

If you plan to lower it, drive it for a while before you lower it. The springs will compress some. My last 94 was painful proof.

^how would you lower it with stock height springs?

GMAN, hows the ride height with your tbird springs? i have a couple spare sets of old bags, would i be able to gut those and puit springs on them?

You can always cut them down. I bought the precut set from strut masters and I couldn't clear an aluminum can laying on it's side.......

Okay, here a new issue.... Towing. My car is FLAT down, I need to get it towed to Jamie's, which is no problem with AAA, but I don't want my bumper getting ripped off!

Members online

Back