Wheel Offset Comparison Pics

DLF

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Since I was taking the DR's off my car today, I thought I'd shoot some pics showing the three different wheels that I have. All are FRPP wheels, and all are the 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern.

The first pic is a 17x9" M179 Cobra R wheel with +36mm offset. The tire is a MT 275/40-17 DR.

The second pic is a 17x9" R58 Cobra R wheel with +24mm offset. Same MT 275/40-17 DR. These I use on my '98 Cobra.

The third pic is a 17x8" '98 Cobra wheel with +30mm offset and a 245/45-17 Firestone Wide Oval tire.

HPIM1321s.jpg

HPIM1323s.jpg

HPIM1326s.jpg

Last edited:
more pictures of #2 please!!!

Sorry, that's all I took. I don't use that R58 wheel on either my LSC or SC because they rub all over the place. I'd have to jack it waaaay up.

Even the M179 wheel/tire combo rubs a bit near the top of the wheel opening, and I have to raise the car a bit with my Module VIII when I go to the track.

which one rubs?!?!/

The 17x9" R58 wheels with +24 offset rub a lot. If I wanted to use them, I'd have to cut the fender lip, and even then, I think it might still rub.

The 17x9" M179 +36 wheels just rub a little at the top when it's really low or I hit a really big dip. It could easily be fixed by removing the trim and rolling about 6 inches at the top of the arch. Since I'm only using them at the track, I haven't bothered.

My 17x8" '98 Cobra wheels don't rub at all.

Herm....

That is odd. I'm running 18x9 03 cobra 24 offset wheels, 275/40/18 sumotumo tires and ONLY get a rub on a HARD depression in the road at speed. This is with a 1.5" spring kit and sensatracs all the way around.

This is only in the rear as well. I am working on raising the rear a Half inch which should take care of the remainder. Not to mention it looks much better.

Mike

Tires have a lot to do with it as well as offset of the rim (as you can see from the last pic where the offset is in the middle of the first two.)
The section width varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer, as well as sidewall thickness and design...

Tires have a lot to do with it as well as offset of the rim (as you can see from the last pic where the offset is in the middle of the first two.)
The section width varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer, as well as sidewall thickness and design...

The wheel in the last pic is an inch less wide, with a narrower tire.

I noticed the tire width, missed the rim width sorry. Thanks for catching that.
It still applies what I said though about the section width, sidewall etc... ;)

I disagree.....

With the compound curve on the wheel wells the stickout of the 24mm wheel looks killer!

100% stock sheet metal on my 94. I'm just not seeing the impracticality here.

I don't know how you can get a 17x9" +24mm offset wheel with 275/40-17's not to rub, without jacking the car up or hacking up the fender. :confused:

But, more power to you, I'm glad you're pleased with your setup.

Not entirely sure myself.... Only thing I can think of is the coil spring conversion. I'm running 18"s BTW.

if you have enough negative camber maybe it wont rub... but still impractical

Not a problem there either.... Alignment is within specs as well. I'm thinkin that my suspension is stiff enough to keep the rear under control. It is piticularly stiff.

Members online

No members online now.
Back