what year did the OBDII (I think that's it)

Jerrwayne

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
engines come out. Also on gen 1 with spark plug wires are those two distributor looking objects in front of each head coils or do those engines have the coil located on top of each spark plug like the gen 2 ? Thanks for replies.:)

1996 was the Government mandated year that autos were to be OBDII complient. The '96 MKVIII is interesting as it is OBDII and still a GenI style. GenIIs (97-98) had Coil on Plug ignition. Yes, the two objects in front of GenI engines are coil packs.

This also makes 96 and odd year for electrical parts. The main engine and trans harness are unique to 96 and 96 only. There are lots of other things too.

Obd Started In 94, Mandatory For 96 Cars

OBDII ADDS ANOTHER OXYGEN SENSOR AND OTHER EMMISSION CRAP. I WANNA SAY 94TBIRDS AND COUGARS WERE OBDII IN 1994, DONT QUOTE ME BUT IF THEY WERE, GLAD THEY DIDNT SCREW WITH THE MARKS, OBDII IS SLOWER TOO...:p

OBD2 is easier to tune, more parameters you can adjust as well.

where is obd2 connector ...

on my 96 mark viii? i had a nice 93 for about 4 years and, just as i was getting it to where i wanted, an genius woman turned in front of me as if i was invisible, and it was totaled-i mourned about one week and bought this 96, and am in the midst of going through it-i thought all obd2 connectors were near the driver's knee, is this one in the same place as the 93 (passenger fender)?-thanks

Members online

Back