what wrong with my LS, PLease help!!

QUICKSILVER_LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, yesterday as i was driven home , i step on the pedal too much and the RPM needle is at the Red line , then the engine light went on. After that my car start to stutter when i slowing down, and shakes when i step on the gas.(The engine light still on). I'm owning a 2001 Lincoln Ls V8 ..PLease help guys i dont want to take it to the stealer shop:confused:

oh wow, sounds like your linkage cable snapped off and the throtle got stuck open. Correct me if im wrong.

You blew the coils. You're hosed. :( It's definitely a dealer job to fix this.

if the car is still drivable - get the check engine light code read at an autozne, pep boyz, advance auto - that will tell you why the light is on...

If you sit at the redline too long - it is possible to bend valves, ..etc...

Do you mean you redlined the car and then the CEL came on? You gotta be a little more clear on your question. If so, it sounds like a coil problem and I'd have to agree with Todd.

Do you mean you redlined the car and then the CEL came on? You gotta be a little more clear on your question. If so, it sounds like a coil problem and I'd have to agree with Todd.

Thanks for quick reply guys....
Yes, after i redline...the engine light went on right away, Anyways, if it was coil problems can i change the coil by myself...or i have to take it to the dealer shop.

How long was it redlined? Why would you do that, or did it just jack up like that on its own while giving it throtle?

well it redline for a second or two, then i let go of the gas pedal.
Also can i bring it to pepboy for a quick OBDII test.???

Read the codes.

I hit the redline daily and rev to about 6700 in 3rd to finish the quarter mile and thats more than just a few seconds. I have had no problems....yet.

Redline is usually pretty conservative but that assumes an engine in good shape. An old loose engine may not has much safety margin when you hit redline.

I thought these cars had drive by wire, not a cable to the throttle body!? I know the newer ones do so there is no cable to snap.

Get the code read, that is you first and best step. Thne post them here.

Sluggish performance and rough running could be lots of things, like coils, slipped timing, bent valves, clogged smog components, computer went nuts etc.

I would guess coils and from what I have read it is relatively easy but time consuming. I had mine done under warranty. In my opinion the coils are a weak spot in our cars, but I would be surprised that redlining the engine would kill coils, but like I say, I have little confidence in them anyway.

Good Luck, Post scan results.

Jim Henderson

00-02 throttle cable

03up drive by wire.

There is a rev limiter at 6700or6750 I believe so you would hit that if you passed the red line by just a few rpms.

well, i just got a OBDII test result. It said misfire on CYL 3 and 8 PO# 303 and PO#308...what should i do now??

I had the exact same problem. Got a little crazy playing around and blew out my gaskets causing oil to leak into the cylinder. The job can be done by yourself and you should be able to find out by just pulling the plugs (Cyl 3 and 8)and looking for oil. It should be obvious. Do a search...I'm sure there are directions on how to repair the problem somewhere on this site.

I had the exact same problem. Got a little crazy playing around and blew out my gaskets causing oil to leak into the cylinder. The job can be done by yourself and you should be able to find out by just pulling the plugs (Cyl 3 and 8)and looking for oil. It should be obvious. Do a search...I'm sure there are directions on how to repair the problem somewhere on this site.

well i just call lincoln dealer, they charge 700 for tune up, that's way too much
i really apprreciate if anyone please show me how to do this step by step. I did search the forum but find nothing.
PLease PM me halong3392@yahoo.com

Get it diagnosed at the dealer. Its not that much, then find a "how to" and do it on you own...( if this is what happend).

Same thing happened to me about two weeks ago. My coil went out on cylinder #6. This was the first time working on the Ls, and it was fairly easy. I'd say just do it yourself it will save you some money. It didn't really take me too long and i suggest tying a string to your wrench i don't know how many times i kept dropping mine. I had to keep fishing it out of the engine bay that was the most time consuming part for me. The coil ran me about 45 bucks, its not hard just take off the cover and replace the coil. Fairly simple you can do it don't let the dealership take all your hard earned money, i know i won't. Good luck man if you need help you know you have it here. Go for it do it yourself that's the only way to go.

Come on over, we will do it together. J/k I am having the hesitation problem right now, but there is no code yet.

Quicksilver LS, where are you in VA? I might be able to help out if you're close to Charlottesville.

Thanks for the offer, but i guess i have bring it to the dealer since it seem very time consuming job and i live near Tyson Corner btw
but for future reference where is cylinder 3 and 8 Locates.?

Members online

No members online now.
Back