what the difference in the cobra and mark VIII engines?

sho89mtx

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
are they exactly the same engine, just in a different car, or is there a lot differen't about them?

thanks,
scott

Cams and intake as far as the 96-98 cobras go vs the 93-98 Marks. Don't forget. the Marks are the original Cobras. Hissssssss!

Actually, the Mark VIII intake cam is exactly the same as the Cobras in those years, it is just the exhaust cams are different between the Mark/Cobra, and the intake is different too.....

can u put the cobra intake and cam on the markviii? If so or if not, does that mean u can buy cobra performance parts for the markviii just like as if you had a cobra and was trying to supe it up?

thanks,
scott

sho89mtx said:
can u put the cobra intake and cam on the markviii? If so or if not, does that mean u can buy cobra performance parts for the markviii just like as if you had a cobra and was trying to supe it up?

thanks,
scott

Just about anything you could buy for a cobra.....(engine wise) will fit on the mark.

whats the main diff, it is stamped with linc emblems and that makes the ins co's make you pay more!

if you were going to change the cam, it would make more sense to put in a performance cam instead of a stock cobra cam, in any case.

Hey I'm a newbie here,

So if I understand this right.....you could swap a Cobra engine for a Mark VIII and swap a Mark VIII engine for a Cobra.......maybe not the brightest idea, but possible.

Could you place a 93-98 Mark VIII engine in a regular 96-98 Mustang v6 or GT without problems?(other than transmission, and possible rear axle)

To answer your question, yes, you can swap many parts with little or no modification...

Another difference is in the crankshaft and flexplate setup. The crank from the cobra is a Winssor forged steel crank with 8 bolts. The Mark VIII has a cast iron Romeo crank with 6 bolt flywheel.

If you were to swap a cobra crank into your Mark, you'd need an 8 bolt auto flyweel from a Windsor (Auto F-150, etc.)

Could you place a 93-98 Mark VIII engine in a regular 96-98 Mustang v6 or GT without problems?(other than transmission, and possible rear axle)

Yes, that's a pretty popular swap. There are a few websites I've visited where a V6/ GT Stang' owner swapped in a Mark VIII motor...

evillally said:
To answer your question, yes, you can swap many parts with little or no modification...

Another difference is in the crankshaft and flexplate setup. The crank from the cobra is a Winssor forged steel crank with 8 bolts. The Mark VIII has a cast iron Romeo crank with 6 bolt flywheel.

If you were to swap a cobra crank into your Mark, you'd need an 8 bolt auto flyweel from a Windsor (Auto F-150, etc.)

Yes, that's a pretty popular swap. There are a few websites I've visited where a V6/ GT Stang' owner swapped in a Mark VIII motor...

id like to see pics of that

Members online

No members online now.
Back