What Octane rating do you use in your Mark VIII?

What Octane rating do you use in your Mark VIII?

Votes: 20 80.0%

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • anything else

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

1wykdmk8

LvC Dues Collector
Reaction score
I use what is recommended by the manufacturer.......premium! Anything less IMHO is not a bright idea.....you MAY save $100 thru the whole year.....how is that savings? Sorry, but this got me going from another website....and I just want to see who post here what they run in their car.....

I only run 93. If the prices are too high I just don't drive the car! I thought I heard that these cars get better mileage on 93 anyway. So you really aren't saving much if you go to a lower grade.

These cars have pretty decent knock sensors that pull the timing to prevent detonation. The downside is that means you are also losing power. If you like your computer to be trained to pulled timing so you feel like you are driving around on 7 cylinders, more (or less) power to you.
icon10.gif

MonsterMark said:
These cars have pretty decent knock sensors that pull the timing to prevent detonation. The downside is that means you are also losing power. If you like your computer to be trained to pulled timing so you feel like you are driving around on 7 cylinders, more (or less) power to you.
icon10.gif

To me.....only an idiot, or cheap arse would run anything lower than 91........but what do I know.......there are cheap fuqs everywhere!!!!!!

well... I've never really seen any documentation saying to use one specific grade of fuel. I'll I've ever seen was "premium fuel only"

with that being said... I used to use 89, but since the last thread about octane I've used about 3 tanks of 93 and it seems to run alot better than it did (either that or a coincidence). Not necissarily more power... but smoother (although I've never had a knock with the 89)

I use nothing less than 93 in both of my cars - and gas is more expensive here than where most of you are from.

93 burns faster and allows more comb. i use a good gas treament sometime too just a little methanol i use 93 use to use 91 89

lincolnboy said:
93 burns faster and allows more comb. i use a good gas treament sometime too just a little methanol i use 93 use to use 91 89

I thought it was the higher the octane, the slower it combusts?

Ya, the higher the octane the slower it burns.Thats why high compression race engines use higher octane race fuel like C-16 which has an octane rating over 112 I think.Turbo cars need the octane as well.

Thats part of the reason for moving to colder plugs.It moves the spark further away from the combustion chamber and in turn burns slower so as NOT to pre ignite and set off the knock sensors.

In these cars you can get away with running cheaper gas espacially in the winter, without noticing MUCH difference.
In the heat of the summer you're pretty much gaurenteed to run into the knock sensors if you run cheap gas.Now it doesnt HURT the engine, your just not running as good and as powerfull as you could be.

I try to use Sunoco 94. I doubt it does anything over the 93, but it can't hurt.

any one ever run race fuel oct. over 100 in their mk8

Allot of piston aircraft burn 100/130 LL because there is more BTU’s per pound then regular fuel plus the volatility of the fuel is higher and its more of a complete burn, that is why high octane is good, and with gas prices these days I’m paying 2.30 a gal and 100/130 LL is only 50 cents more. But DON”T go putting air craft fuel in your car there is way to much lead in it and you fuel injectors an o2 sensors will be fowled in 20 mi, so just stick with 93. I tried to cheep out with 87 once my car was a knocking so I immediately switch back to high test.

If your car is carbureted theoretically you could use AV gas though your still going to have lead deposits on you valves and extreme carbon build up on your header’s

I know people that run AV gas in their carbed engines.All you need is hardened valve seats.
Ive never heard anyone screwing up an injector with leaded fuel but it will hurt MOST O2 sensors.
I say most cause the O2 that came with my Stand alone system isnt hurt by leaded fuel.
But I only ran GOOD gas in that car.With the T trim and BIG boost I ran C16 (which has a motor ocatane of 117)from VP racing fuels.With the S trim I ran TRICK from VP, its available at the pump and is 100 octane.

dont know, i can only tell you stuff about aircraft, unless thats what you mean, no cuz they need those engines to run for longer than 10 min

you in the aerospace industry....the last one i was talking bout alchol/ methanol....meth work well nice,

Members online

No members online now.
Back