What kind of spider is this?

turborich

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys & Gals, This spider was in my front yard. Any idea what kind of spider it is? I live in the South West (Las Vegas) Maybe that will help identify it. At first I thought it might be a brown recluse however I did not see any violin marking on it. So you can get an idea of it's size the black thing is a garden hose. I'm guessing it was about 2" wide from leg tip to leg tip.

Thanks Guys & Gals!

misc 021.jpg

misc 023.jpg

if i had taken the picture it would have been a dead spider. i hate spiders so bad. i cant answer your question, maybe a wolf spider, down here in florida, brown and black recluse you want to stay far away from, we also have black widow's all dangerous spiders, the ones that arent dangerous, but freak me out the most are banana spiders, they get as big as an average adult hand, yuck!!!!

its a north american BIGASS spider:leghumper
put it in a jar with another one see who wins my cousin does he calls it spider wars hes kinda touched

Certainly looks like a brown recluse without the marking... Maybe still a spiderling?

On another note, when i was in South Carolina last week a damn HUGE wasp like creature landed right next to my hand, on my coffee cup! Man, was i scared! After an internet search, i found out that it is generally called a tarantula hawk. Apparently, it has the worst sting of any insect! Guess i got lucky.... Lol.

tarantula hawk! WOW that name alone sounds horrible. Sounds painfull too. I can't stand spiders myself, They are the creepiest insects ever.

Its a Wolf spider. Won't hurt you.(Much) I have them all through my shed. That is actually a small to medium one. I use them to help me move some of the heavier stuff around in the shed when I am feeling lazy. Brown Recluse spiders are smaller. My one brother has been bitten three times by Brown Recluse spiders. He has the scars to prove it. They are nasty spiders.

Did a little looking around and it seems that it's a member of the Wolf Spider family. Lycosidae

Color and markings may vary due to region.

These are the ones that use to give me the creeps when I was a kid. Fishing Spider

Our Dock at our Cottage was loaded with them. One day when I was ver young. My grandfather was working around the dock stirring up the water. When I looked down at my had I had a Mother resting on it. But that wasn't what was so bad. It was the 1000's of babys that covered my other hand and leg.

Its a Wolf spider. Won't hurt you.(Much) I have them all through my shed. That is actually a small to medium one. I use them to help me move some of the heavier stuff around in the shed when I am feeling lazy. Brown Recluse spiders are smaller. My one brother has been bitten three times by Brown Recluse spiders. He has the scars to prove it. They are nasty spiders.

I've been bitten twice. I almost lost my leg the first time. They don't play!

Doubt its a wolf spider, but a good guess it is.

Wolfs are way more robust than that, very similar in color ( local dependant ) and some other looks but the face and fangs are also more broad and not so narrow.

Most wolfs if not all wolfs do not have the slender legs like that one in that pic.

In PA we have some pretty mean ones. Some types are about the size of that one, but way more bulky looking, daring as well. You could easily lift up a rock or piece of wood and find one twice that size around here. I hate them, those things and damn water spiders!

Thanks guys, I thought it may have been a wolf spider but I couldn't find one online with the same markings. I guess that it's like Mespock said, their color/markings can be different in other regions. I'm glad to now know what it is for sure. I have seen the pics of a brown recluse bite and all I can say is OMG!

Doubt its a wolf spider, but a good guess it is.

Wolfs are way more robust than that, very similar in color ( local dependant ) and some other looks but the face and fangs are also more broad and not so narrow.

Most wolfs if not all wolfs do not have the slender legs like that one in that pic.

In PA we have some pretty mean ones. Some types are about the size of that one, but way more bulky looking, daring as well. You could easily lift up a rock or piece of wood and find one twice that size around here. I hate them, those things and damn water spiders!

We must have posted at the same time. Well maybe it's not a wolf, maybe it is? I am just glad to hear that it's not a poisionous recluse!!!

lol!

Maybe a different local but even in the pics with the lycosid link they really don't match up.

But you should say at least its not as poisonous as a recluse;) . We sometimes have incidents of those in PA and like every one says they are nasty.

Well with all the spiders I looked at the only one that came close through all the sites was the Wolf or as on site said the lycosid which the wolf spider is part along with other similar spiders.

It is hard to ID spiders so they say. Theirs way to many species that look alike but have different attributes that make them not the same, some of those attributes are not even noticeable to the human eye and that is what they say makes it difficult.

In either case I know nothing on arachnid taxonomy so I just say it looks like a ugly spider and it should have looked like a squashed one.

I still would have drowned it or something. I am scared shltless of spiders when it comes down to it. Even looking at ones to try to figure out what this one is is freaking me out, but its kinda fun.

Rich, a bug ate your avatar.

No no not my little bug...

It is hard to ID spiders so they say. Theirs way to many species that look alike but have different attributes that make them not the same, some of those attributes are not even noticeable to the human eye and that is what they say makes it difficult.

In either case I know nothing on arachnid taxonomy so I just say it looks like a ugly spider and it should have looked like a squashed one.

Here how is this... although it's not a true spider.. my nice while in Iraq said you would wake up in the morning with these crawling on you.. (this was during the first part of the war while they were in the dessert)

spider9.jpg

They have those camel spiders in Afghanistan too.

My buddy came back with a dead one that he had dried out and crap. They look disgusting.

Not as bad as a whip scorpion
TaillessWhipScorpion.jpg

or as weird as a seudoscorpion.

My guess that the other spider is a type of Tarantula. Almost like a Goliath but I'm not sure where it was found to determine that one.

1183252375544.jpg

The funny thing Mespock is that I have no problems with the big guys. I owned a Cobalt Blue Tarantula, a Zebra leg Tarantula and a Rose Hair Tarantula.

Its just the small ones that freak me out.

Look What I Just Found:

Was just about to take my car apart to help catmech with a detail and looky what I caught! (was just INCHES from my hand, crawling up the garage steps guard rail) Guess this silly Brit has a way of attracting BAD things!

blackwidowlightedpic.gif

blackwidow.jpg

Funny thing is, I caught it and took it up the yard to let it out humanely. Darn thing jumped at me! Suffice to say, I ran off like a lil' girl! :p Will collect the glass I used tomorrow! :shifty:

Edit: BTW, the first pic is optically deceiving - spider was quite big. The second pic is also deceiving, but actually shows the correct size of the spider! After more research, I believe it to be a Southern black widow - very venomous with a nasty bite! I was always curious about these spiders... Always wondered if I'd 'know' when I saw one. I knew alright! Haha... You couldn't mistake a spider like that for anything!

Members online

Back