What is this i'm feeling

mrm143

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I put in a new wiper motor over the weekend and while i had the whole tray out, i decided to do some feeling around :shifty: to see if i could find any loose hoses etc, i reached my hand down behind the engine, under the EGR valve i think, and could feel some air blowing out... Not sure what it is, or if even anything to worry about, as i couldnt see anything, it was almost an arms length down, under the EGR valve...
Any ideas what it could be, or is this normal....

The T Valve is ok, it wasnt that

I found this thread and i think this is the problem
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=61412&highlight=egr+valve

the EGR Tube

Could this cause a vacuum leak, and do i REALLY need to fix this, or can it wait, DOES NOT sound like fun

Last edited:
My silver 94 had one of the DPFE hoses came off and was doing what it sounds like your issue is. I fixed it from under the car with 2 long pairs of pliers. It did not seem however to affect my driveability. The hose I am talking about is black with a red/orange core.

My silver 94 had one of the DPFE hoses came off and was doing what it sounds like your issue is. I fixed it from under the car with 2 long pairs of pliers. It did not seem however to affect my driveability. The hose I am talking about is black with a red/orange core.

I think its the EGR Tube, i could even feel the nylon sleeve over it as shown in the pic... Could be my whole vac leak issue right their, but sounds like a HORROR story trying to change it

I think its the EGR Tube, i could even feel the nylon sleeve over it as shown in the pic... Could be my whole vac leak issue right their, but sounds like a HORROR story trying to change it

Damn, I feel for you but I can't reach you. Anything doing with the EGR on the Gen 1 is a bitch. Easy to work on if the transmission is out lol. I would rather do 10 IAC's than to mess with the EGR tube.

Damn, I feel for you but I can't reach you. Anything doing with the EGR on the Gen 1 is a bitch. Easy to work on if the transmission is out lol. I would rather do 10 IAC's than to mess with the EGR tube.

Well im hoping that would solve my vac leak issue, with the lean codes, im assuming. I dont think its the DPMF or whatever thats called, cause that would be higher up no? I had almist my whole arm down behind the engine to feel it. It was coming out warm, and pulsing with the engine, I remember slipping the little sleeve i could feel down over it to stop it...
Whats the worst that can happen if i leave it for now??

(PS, This sounds dirty LMFAO) :D:D:p:p

Well im hoping that would solve my vac leak issue, with the lean codes, im assuming. I dont think its the DPMF or whatever thats called, cause that would be higher up no? I had almist my whole arm down behind the engine to feel it. It was coming out warm, and pulsing with the engine, I remember slipping the little sleeve i could feel down over it to stop it...
Whats the worst that can happen if i leave it for now??

(PS, This sounds dirty LMFAO) :D:D:p:p

That's up to you but it needs to be addressed soon or it could lead to even worse things. You can remove the cowl on the drivers side, loosen the trans mount at the rear and motor mount and jack up on the flat spot at the rear of the trans. That will give you a little more arm room but not much. Just don't jack the trans up till it's raising the car. Could crush something up on top of the trans, wiring harness connections, ect.. Someone else might have an easier way but I do know with the trans out, you can get all at it with ease.

That's up to you but it needs to be addressed soon or it could lead to even worse things. You can remove the cowl on the drivers side, loosen the trans mount at the rear and motor mount and jack up on the flat spot at the rear of the trans. That will give you a little more arm room but not much. Just don't jack the trans up till it's raising the car. Could crush something up on top of the trans, wiring harness connections, ect.. Someone else might have an easier way but I do know with the trans out, you can get all at it with ease.

To much for me, i know my limits... Now hopefully someone here lives close and can help LOL, Ill buy the beer AND the lunch.. and maybe the women LMAO

http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocat...VIII&year=1994&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

This will give you an idea of money that will be needed if you go back with OEM and their prices are some of the lowest.

Maxx might beat the price or match it.

http://fivestarford.com/Department-Parts.aspx

Rock Auto I don't think carries the tube.

Max was closed today, I have to order the Jmod stuff too...
Im gonna look at it one more time, maybe it could be the DPMF thing (hoping) but i doubt it...

Where is the IAC in relation to the egr tube, i was trying to find it while i was in their...

Also what about taking off the drivers side tire, and getting in that way, would that work??

The EGR tube has nothing to do with a vacuum leak.

If it's leaking, I'd start spraying the fitting at the cat every day until you are ready to replace it. Also make sure that you hold the fitting on the cat when you remove the tube fitting from it. Spray the top fitting at the EGR valve too.

I was lucky, mine came off easy but I did spray it many times before I removed it. It wasn't that bad, I was able to get to it with big open end wrenches.

The top part is easy if you remove the hood or remove the hood struts and prop the hood open more. Just don't open the hood too much, the corners will hit the cowl.

And oh, it's a DPFE sensor.:)

iac as seen through the dash circled in yellow

and its called the DPFE. theres 2 hoses that run off the egr tube and you can see the dpfe bracket on the back of the driverside head circled in red

dpfe usually throws a egr insufficient flow / not flowing / etc code

gen 1 iac.jpg

iac as seen through the dash circled in yellow

and its called the DPFE. theres 2 hoses that run off the egr tube and you can see the dpfe bracket on the back of the driverside head circled in red

dpfe usually throws a egr insufficient flow / not flowing / etc code

THAT PIC should be a Sticky, that explains SOOOO much, looking at it from that angle... Its def the EGR tube, as it feels metal....

I have small arms, so i will try

So basically on each end is a nut, which has to be unscrewed in simple terms, and getting to the "bottom" but is the problem...
Wondering if i should do my O2 while im down their, i could see it when looking for the tube...

Getting no codes on anything EGR related, maybe its not leaking enough to throw a code...

Is the EGR tube not shown in that pic?

The EGR tube has nothing to do with a vacuum leak.

If it's leaking, I'd start spraying the fitting at the cat every day until you are ready to replace it. Also make sure that you hold the fitting on the cat when you remove the tube fitting from it. Spray the top fitting at the EGR valve too.

I was lucky, mine came off easy but I did spray it many times before I removed it. It wasn't that bad, I was able to get to it with big open end wrenches.

The top part is easy if you remove the hood or remove the hood struts and prop the hood open more. Just don't open the hood too much, the corners will hit the cowl.

And oh, it's a DPFE sensor.:)

Well maybe i should rephrase, the codes im getting are from the 02 Sensors, lean codes, could that cause the codes? We were assuming it was a vac leak

lol, you don't want me working on it. If I can't fix them, I blow them up. :D You must have missed the pics of the 94 I had. Unless the trans was out, I seriously would hate messing with an EGR tube but it is doable.

Oxygen sensors are simple to do. Get them off rockauto with the 10" wire and get Motorcraft. They have good prices on them.

lol, you don't want me working on it. If I can't fix them, I blow them up. :D You must have missed the pics of the 94 I had. Unless the trans was out, I seriously would hate messing with an EGR tube but it is doable.

Oxygen sensors are simple to do. Get them off rockauto with the 10" wire and get Motorcraft. They have good prices on them.

What i meant with the O2 sensors was that why replace them if their throwing a code, maybe the reason is the broken egr tube, or is that totally different code... I doubt both O2's are wrong, i want to fix the code...

Im trying to figure out the symptoms of a broken tube... and what if any consequences if i leave it for a few months...

What i meant with the O2 sensors was that why replace them if their throwing a code, maybe the reason is the broken egr tube, or is that totally different code... I doubt both O2's are wrong, i want to fix the code...

Im trying to figure out the symptoms of a broken tube... and what if any consequences if i leave it for a few months...

See if this helps any.

http://www.markviii.org/dcforum/DCForumID14/2080.html

a broken tube shouldn't cause a lean code since its after the o2s, rather just make the car sound like crap and give one hell of a buzz, followed by the worst headache you've ever had, (if you wake up) the dpfe hoses go on the 2 smaller tubes on nolimits pic, im betting one of those burned up. but im willing you bet you also have a vac leak somewhere else

a broken tube shouldn't cause a lean code since its after the o2s, rather just make the car sound like crap and give one hell of a buzz, followed by the worst headache you've ever had, (if you wake up) the dpfe hoses go on the 2 smaller tubes on nolimits pic, im betting one of those burned up. but im willing you bet you also have a vac leak somewhere else

Doesnt sound bad or anything, maybe its not that big of a hole... I only noticed it cause i had my head stuck down their LOL when i was doin the wiper motor

Since Im in no hurry, I am going to PB Blast it every day for the next couple weeks, and then try and get in their and get it off....

Last edited:

Members online

Back