what heads to use?

spraymax

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone my name is Bruce and this is my first post here, the head gaskets gave out on my 98 lsc so decided it's time for a few upgrades, i'm leaving the shortblock alone but was thinking about a pair of good frpp heads and cams along with a set of 1 3/4 kooks and a quiet 2.5 stainless exhaust, the trans and driveshaft will also be upgraded

i was hoping for a little over 400 chp and about the same torque wise and was wondering if this is realistic with the bolt ons above, thanks for your replys

Forget the FRPP heads/cams. If your going to do it go for 03 and up heads, get a ported 01 Cobra or Mach1 intake and custom ground cams.

I'd love to hear some informed responses about the different head options, what's a direct fit, what needs to be altered, and the different options available.

Funny how you mention quiet exhaust. That's why I haven't thought about doing an exhaust upgrade is because I like having a sleeper, and I don't think a Lincoln should sound like a muscle car. Is it possible to upgrade the exhaust and keep it quiet?

Aren't the influx of newbs what keeps sites like this up and running since many older members sell their cars and eventually move to another site that is catered to the current car they own?

Just figured I'd take a jab at the search Nazi! :) ;)

so if i use the termi heads and ported 01 intake with a full exhaust what cams work best with this combo since i'll have a stock lower end ?

also should the heads be ported or just port matched ?

sorry for the large pics..

KarKraft is blowing out alot of old 4.6 mod motor stuff.

2003 S/C Cobra heads -used $295.00 pr
1999/01 Cobra Heads-used $225.00 pr
1996/98 Cobra Heads-used $175.00 pr

1999/01 Cobra-03/04 Marauder-03/04 Mach1 Lower Manifolds-used $99.00

4.6/5.4 DOHC Valve Covers-used $20.00 pair
C.O.P. Coil Covers $1.00 ea.

http://www.karkraft.com/new_page_7.htm

GARAGE%20SALE32.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

I don't have the experiance to help you choose cams. If you are getting the heads ported by someone with a lot of 4V experiance talk to them.

How big is your wallet?

i'd like to keep it under 7k for the heads/cams etc. a trans re-build a driveshaft and 1 3/4 kooks with 2.5" full stainless quiet exhaust

Well custom cams are $1300 from Comp plus another $450 for springs and retainers from Summit. Try the corral.net for a PSR 01 intake. There is a guy NA SVT who makes them and will probably give you some help with cam selection. Go for the 03 and up heads

so i just got back from the big livonia parts sale wOw what a madhouse...

first i got caught in traffic then my gps said no signal so i got there a few minutes late then the line is already way long then to top it off a company called motosteel hogged all the termi heads grrr...

anyways ended up with some excellent shape complete 01 heads with a marauder intake all for $359 so all in all i 'm happy, i plan on having the heads fully ported and maybe mill then a little, the intake looke a little higher than the stock could someone chime in about clearance with a stock hood ? thanx

wish I woulda known you were going.

that crate full of IMRC plates and controllers would have netted you a gold mine here on LVC and on ebay.

anyways ended up with some excellent shape complete 01 heads with a marauder intake all for $359 so all in all i 'm happy, i plan on having the heads fully ported and maybe mill then a little, the intake looke a little higher than the stock could someone chime in about clearance with a stock hood ? thanx

That's a good deal. If your going to port them you won't lose that much over the 03+ heads. Get the intake done too and with some custom ground cams(and supporting mods) the car should easily see over 300rwhp. I would consider gears/stall mandatory with ported heads/intake/cams. I would start thinking about a high volume oil pump with ported heads PSR intake and a healthy set of cams too.

As for hood clearance I don't think anyone on here has done C heads/intake on a Gen2. I think you'll be okay though.

wish I woulda known you were going.

that crate full of IMRC plates and controllers would have netted you a gold mine here on LVC and on ebay.

True

i wish i would have known that, it's been a hectic day and thanks for all the suggestions

i do alot of highway driving so i hate to give up the 3.27's i was thinking maybe a 3000 stall with a lockup for the highway ?? i'm also picking up a mmx driveshaft some sub frame connectors and re-doing the air ride, any suggestions for the best shocks?

Members online

No members online now.
Back