Well Snap i got an oil leak

pepperman

The Real Deal
Reaction score
Got off work today to come home and noticed a puddle under my car thinking maybe it was a power steering leak an it wasn't. I got home and looked under the car and noticed oil dripping, so i took it to my mechanic and he will look at it tomorrow. I hope it is something simple and not that damn adapter gasket although it probably is i will know more tomorrow. :(

If it's leaking by the filter it's either the gasket or the oil pressure sensor.

Thanks guy's i will tell my mechanic tomorrow to check the oil pressure switch and try replacing that first and see what happens. This car has meaning for me because of the people involved in giving it to me. Just where would the oil pressure switch be located ?

Thanks guy's i will tell my mechanic tomorrow to check the oil pressure switch and try replacing that first and see what happens. This car has meaning for me because of the people involved in giving it to me.

It was indeed a very special moment. :)

He will put it on the lift running and have someone rev it to check for where its leaking. No need to guess wrong.

Well my mechanic confirmed that it is the oil filter adapter gasket that went bad and well that SUCKS, oh well i will find out on Thursday how much it is going to cost me to have it fixed.

He will i have been having him work on any i have owned for years. My car will not go out of town until that gasket has been replaced.

Ok my mechanic hasn't been able to price the labor repair cost to replace the oil filter adapter gasket, the books he uses do not have the labor estimates in them. How much does it cost to do the job ?

I would guess book hours are 2 hr or 3 hr. It seems like it might be easy, but it really isn't. I fought with mine and it took a little over 3 hours, but that included pressure washing everything that was coated in oil. I really fought to get the gasket in place and held in place, then being able to refill it with coolant because of a stuck fill plug on the coolant crossover.

I looked it up on alldata. They say 1 hour, which I say is bs. We usually charge 1.5 hours at my shop, plus you have coolant and maybe an oil filter.

Thanks Chargerxr that's the info i was looking for. Hopefully my car will go into the shop next week sometime, until then it will not go out of town and i will keep a close eye on the oil level.

Now that I have done it once, on a Mark VIII, I could do it in less time the next time, and I could see an hour on a Crown Vic (without the oil cooler) but not on an MN12/FN10, looks slightly easier on a MN12 but not much. I thought the book also included the hours for additional work. I couldn't see doing this without an oil change (as the water port is above the oil ports, and I couldn't get close to enough coolant drained to no get some in the oil) and coolant drain and refill.

But if a shop uses that estimate and charges you for an hour, they will likely eat another hour or 2 in labor.

Do it yourself if you have access to a garage. The gasket only cost $6.50 at rockauto shipped. Then the price of oil/filter/coolant. First time it took me 6 hours I think. Took my time because I never did it before. Took the housing completely out to clean and inspect. Changed the oil/filter and coolant, no way around it. One bolt is hard to get to. I took the batt out and moved some things to make room and wrestled around with the cross over for awhile. Went through the top and bottom, no wheel well action.
Next time I can see doing it half that time. I can see a shop charging $200-$300 or more for this cheap fix.

Do it yourself if you have access to a garage. The gasket only cost $6.50 at rockauto shipped. Then the price of oil/filter/coolant. First time it took me 6 hours I think. Took my time because I never did it before. Took the housing completely out to clean and inspect. Changed the oil/filter and coolant, no way around it. One bolt is hard to get to. I took the batt out and moved some things to make room and wrestled around with the cross over for awhile. Went through the top and bottom, no wheel well action.
Next time I can see doing it half that time. I can see a shop charging $200-$300 or more for this cheap fix.

I would do it my self but I live in an apartment and have no access to a garage or the tools necessary to do the job. One of these days I hope to have a garage where I can work on my car.

I think were all curious...how much did the shop charge you for that fix?

The shop where the work will be done at is full up at the moment, but as soon as the work is done i will let everyone know how much it cost me.

The job has been completed and the total cost was $173.00 , i was expecting it to be alot more than that. :cool:

@$25 for oil, @$20 for coolant, @$5 for filter, @$5 for gasket_ @$55 in parts
----
@$118 in labor? yea, it could have been a lot worse
---
I've done it twice, gotta have the wobbly socket adapters and the long extensions to go through the drv side wheel well...Spree, I can't imagine doing this job without removing driver's side tire

Yeah, a couple years ago when I was getting estimates most were at $300 (For S&G). Had my mech friend do it for $80 iirc. I would've paid double if he asked, anything to save me the aggravation and frostbite of doing a of-ag repair in February.. :)

$118 was a very nice price. Glad you got it all fixed up.

I was quoted $125. for just the gasket change, they did not mention oil n coolant.

Members online

No members online now.
Back