Weird Tire Issue

DANRS112

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
To start my tires about 6 months old.

About 3 months ago I noticed a large slit in one of my tires. I took it to where I bought the tires from and they said it looks like I ran something over. I thought based on where there the slice entered and exited the tire it ran in the opposite direction of tire rotation(really I thought somebody had tried to slice my tire.) In any event the replacement was covered under my road hazard warranty.

However, just now I noticed the same thing has happened to another tire. I'm wondering if anybody here can hazard a guess at what most likely the cause it. Faulty tires? Wife not paying attention to what's she's driving over? Vandalism? I'm taking the car in tomorrow.

First time
IMAG0178.jpg

Just now
IMAG0478-1.jpg

you're rubbing on the fender lip. the fender lip even appears to be bent down from where it contacted the tire.

aftermarket wheels? whats the offset? lowering springs? how low?

you're rubbing on the fender lip. the fender lip even appears to be bent down from where it contacted the tire.

aftermarket wheels? whats the offset? lowering springs? how low?

hmm, it does look like that in the picture....The offset is 35. It's not lowered and the tire in the first picture came off a different wheel.

To complicate matters, that tire was just rotated to the front today. I noticed a vibration coming from that wheel after leaving the shop. But the current location and the one the tire was at before are not the same as where the damage occurred the first time:shifty:

Though I suppose the two instances could be unrelated and that you're right on this one.

Do you think with how stiff the suspension is on these cars it'll travel that much?

FAIL tire shop, it's obviously rubbing on the fender, which is clearly visible on the picture. Have it rolled in, or just hammer it back in carefully.

35mm offset is also pushing it a little, no?

If that 35mm offset is on a 18" or larger, 8" wheel you will rub. How loaded is the trunk? How fast does the Mrs. take dips? with directional wheels those tires should be on the same side. If the tire shop swapped sides as well as front-to-rear then MAJOR FAIL! If that is the case I would look elsewhere.

A vibration on aftermarket wheels is usually caused by an unequal hub bore. Are you using hub-centric rings? Did the tire shop reinstall them?

just by looking, the offset of that wheel does look like it could push the tires out a little far, that fender does look like it has a tire cutting lip bent into it. cant believe the tire shop didn't notice something like that, if i told a customer that the trie looked like ti was sliced, i would fist check the car to make sure it wasn't the thing doing the slicing. agreed with above that the tire shop needs to be replaced along with fixing the fenders (having all of them rolled so that this doesn't happen again)

also since there is only on big cut into the tires instead of tons of little ones, this appears like it could have been done over a one time thing (like driving over a big speed bump or someones drive way...) instead of being a obvious clearance issue that would be rubbing all the time. again because of how the cut starts further outside, moves inward, and goes back outward in one single suspension movement.

If that 35mm offset is on a 18" or larger, 8" wheel you will rub. How loaded is the trunk? How fast does the Mrs. take dips? with directional wheels those tires should be on the same side. If the tire shop swapped sides as well as front-to-rear then MAJOR FAIL! If that is the case I would look elsewhere.

A vibration on aftermarket wheels is usually caused by an unequal hub bore. Are you using hub-centric rings? Did the tire shop reinstall them?

That fender is def more noticeable in the picture than otherwise. Fixed it tho.

Trunk isn't loaded, 17inch wheels. No hub rings. Replaced tire and it doesn't vibrate anymore.

Just the sway bar bushings need to be replaced..which sucks because they don't look bad but there is a lot more play than there should be.:(

Sway bar bushings

I investigate tire failure cases, yep that's a fender cut.

sway bar bushings gone bad will make a clunking noise in the front. They are not too difficult to replace. Search forum for repair procedure and where to buy. Took me about an hour. Remove end links to make shifting easier. Hey, replace links while you're there.

I investigate tire failure cases, yep that's a fender cut.

sway bar bushings gone bad will make a clunking noise in the front. They are not too difficult to replace. Search forum for repair procedure and where to buy. Took me about an hour. Remove end links to make shifting easier. Hey, replace links while you're there.

Yeah, I've replaced almost everything except the bushings over the last few weeks....probably should have just replaced the bushings when I replaced the end links. Hindsight tho,

Nice thread. First reply is the answer, the rest help with solution.

Yay internet.

every once in a while, this place can keep it under control! lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back