V6 -vs- V8? Is a V6 worth it?

If you're going to buy an LS with 120K miles already on it then I'd go with the v6. That's just me, but high mileage v8 LSs' seem to have issues likes bad timing chains. Good luck with w/e you get and bring it up to date from a maintenance stand point when you get it.

THANK YOU for that, I thought maybe it was just me, but the 120-140k point seems to be a VERY bad time period for the V8's.

Speaking of V8 problems, our 2000 V8 with 140k has had a bad transmission since at least 135k, when we got it, (slips if you wanna get up and go), engine makes strange noises, nothing bad or loud, CEL throwing a P0420 or something like that, and just the other day, I was filling it up, and the pump would click and stop about every 5 gallons unless i pumped at about 3/4 trigger, and filled it, with like 45$, and got in, and it said I had like just under a quarter tank, even said like 66 miles til E, and as I drove, they actually went down, but every 5 minutes or so, it would jump up about 1/8th of a tank, til I shut it off at walgreens and came back out and it said full, cruise control recently quit working, and the drivers seat makes a clicking noise when its moving

You are making erroneous assumptions about the mileage. Mine was not a 1-2 mpg difference. V8 mileage was about 17 vs about 21 in the V6. The 4 mpg difference added up to a lot over a tankful. This was especially noticeable when gas prices were over $3.50 per gallon.

I get 19.6 thank you very much, shove that in your V6-pipe and smoke it!

bomb squad.jpg

Ours averages about 19.2, but seems so much worse than my explorer, which I drive like a M******************cker, and I know thats not getting better than 19 MPGs. The LS gets driven like a grandmas car, probably not over about 3600 RPMS MAX.

I get 19.6 thank you very much, shove that in your V6-pipe and smoke it!

You can take your 19.6 and pound sand, mofo. :D

Actually, this just shows how variable fuel formulations and driving habits factor into total MPG, and therefore costs of ownership. I mention this because I can tell you do not think very deep about things. :p

Holy crap, I haven't seen you on here in a LONG time, toddg.

A V6 stick is the only V6 LS I'd buy. But then again, it seems finding flywheels for them is about as easy as finding a set of aftermarket heads for the V8.

A V6 stick is the only V6 LS I'd buy. But then again, it seems finding flywheels for them is about as easy as finding a set of aftermarket heads for the V8.

I'm working on that! F***ing garage is full of sh1t from moving :mad:

Make it or break it there will be pictures of my trial and error for all to see!!

Think I should post that thread when I make if in this forum or the high performance forum?

Hope it works out, dude. Nothing worse than needing a part for your car and not being able to find it. Was bad enough when I had my VIII that any part I needed was never in stock anywhere and I had to wait days for it. I could only imagine parts seemingly NOT made.

Hope it works out, dude. Nothing worse than needing a part for your car and not being able to find it. Was bad enough when I had my VIII that any part I needed was never in stock anywhere and I had to wait days for it. I could only imagine parts seemingly NOT made.

Just an FYI, I'm not going to look for a stock replacement dual mass flywheel that probably weights 30 plus pounds, I'm going to look for a lighter weight single mass flywheel, probably 12-15 pounds.

Seriously though, should I post that in the LS forum or the High Performance LS forum?

If you still have not found a car I am going to put in my 2 cents worth. In my opinion handling is very important to me in a car. Drive both the V8 and the V6, make sure they have the same suspensions. Noticeable difference in handling. V8 feels heavier and less responsive. V6 more agile. V8 more power. It's just what you really are looking for in the car.

I do want power, but I think I will be just as happy with the V6, its not like im downgrading from a V8 or anything LOL. I think My explorer has what about 160 hp?

If you still have not found a car I am going to put in my 2 cents worth. In my opinion handling is very important to me in a car. Drive both the V8 and the V6, make sure they have the same suspensions. Noticeable difference in handling. V8 feels heavier and less responsive. V6 more agile. V8 more power. It's just what you really are looking for in the car.

The 06 takes care of that!

I basically gave it to my mom, shes paying for it, and I wasnt even about to drive that this winter LOL.

I was in my explorer goin through half a foot of snow like nothing, and just last night half a foot of mud, maybe I should swap the LS and Explorer bodies :D lmao

I would LOVE a v6 stick though, damn. Theyre so rare around here though

Did you ever fix that bad transmission you were telling us about late last year?

EDIT: I guess I should have read the whole thread before responding. I see that your mom's LS is still running like crap. Fix it man! Your mom squeezed you out of her uterus. Least you can do is give her a car that works!

i have a 02 lincoln lse v6 I am willing to sell it :)

I dont know what your price range is, i got my 05 with 47k on a V8 for 10,900.
I would say go for the V8, if your on a budget to begin with it can be easier in my oppion to start with V8 on spend 20$ more on a budget then to buy the V6 and struggle to come up with money to get more power. Also every time i got the smaller engine of a vechicle for pratical reasons i kicked myself latter on and wished i had the other. If you do end up with a V6 it would be good to know you can do some modes to almost anything. You can take any car to a mufler shop and get a custom exhaust made. Maybe you can find a shop with a laser cutter and a welder. Pick up a exhaust manifold have a programer draw it up and cut it out and the welder can get it all straight for you and take it to the mufler shop and you will have a full exhuast. A local engine shop can port and polish the heads for a bit of power. Universal turbo kits, or if you got ambition custom make it. I have a budy with a geo metro that he put a turbo on that he got from a junk yard, he made his own full exhaust and turbo plumbing. He drop the car, got a larger displacment set of heads frankensteind on it and got a guy to custom flash the comp and he was running around town beating mustangs with a 200$ geo. I wouldnt do that to my LS but its there if you want it

Members online

No members online now.
Back