V6 -vs- V8? Is a V6 worth it?

BrianDye

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking at LSes again, but the only ones that are really in my range, and catching my eye are all V6's. The one imparticular that im looking at has the SST, and no chrome so I believe it is a sport, but its a V6.

Am I taking a huge hit if I got it? Are there still easy mods like intake, muffler, etc I can do to gain a little HP?

gen1 or gen2? The gen1 benefits from exhaust upgrade a lot. I believe the v6 has more potential, but you'll have to be willing to pony up good money to do it. If you want a sporty car with minimal work you should probably spend the extra money to start with get the v8.

Also, the v6(talking only about the engine) seems more reliable with higher mileage.

Also, what price range you looking at?

If you are plannin on overtakin anybody V6 is just as good as the V8. Yes, it does seam to be more reliable. There are less electronics in the V6 car then in the V8 one too. No info board, less beaps.

Go drive it see if you can live with it.

The V6 has adequate performance, I do miss the sound and smoothness at higher RPM's of a V8.

When I bought my 2000 V6 LS for the wife it was in no means a race car or ment to be. It goes fast enough and is smooth as silk. Also no worries about timing chains and tensioners breaking like the V8. It's really rare to hear about engine problems with the V6 which is a Duratec engine. Bulletproof.

a v6!!!!!!! im searching for one myself... they tend to last way longer. I dont know about you but id try to find a sport one.

It's really rare to hear about engine problems with the V6

Could be because there are far fewer V6es out there.

I have a 2000 V6 and two 2006s. Had I known then what I know now I would have purchased the V8. The V8 also has a higher resale value, if you care about such things.

My 04 v6 is a great car, even the base model. I do find myself longing for the heated / cooled seats and little extra getup the v8 has.
I do agree, the duratec v6 is a great engine for longevity.

Well thanks for all the replies guys! I was thinking id be taking a huge hit and regretting it forever if I got a V6, but from the sounds of it, its not a bad machine :D

Theres no on-board computer? Does that mean like the screen on the right side of the gauges that shows MPG's, Oil life, light info, specs, etc? I would miss that :(

Im almost wanting a V6 more now if theyre really that good LOL. If something serious did go wrong, I dont really have extra money to shell out.

Im not trying to buy one though, im looking to trade for one, and I DO want a sport haha. And if I dont get a sport, Im getting an SST shifter, I would miss that so much!

I have a hard time finding dead V6 cars but thats how I got mine ,the rods broke/pulled out of the pistons. I've only seen one other non running v6 car and been looking in my area for 1.5 years now. I was gonna pick up a timing chained V8($1500) twin to the wives LS but my 4cly beater gets wicked pissa MPG.
Yep Brian, the V6 doesn't get the cool computer on right side. I really wanted that. My 93 mark8 has that info, on a frickin 93 no less.

I would only get the manual v6 if I had to choose a v6. I would Still get the v8 if I were to go back and look for an ls though.

The love died for your current ls?

I basically gave it to my mom, shes paying for it, and I wasnt even about to drive that this winter LOL.

I was in my explorer goin through half a foot of snow like nothing, and just last night half a foot of mud, maybe I should swap the LS and Explorer bodies :D lmao

I would LOVE a v6 stick though, damn. Theyre so rare around here though

Theres a few LS'es (I believe V8's) on craigslist for like 1500$ but they need engines, and one is running "really rough"

i love my v6 coming from a v8 to a v6 its a big change but its worth my gas money lol

Gen 1 V8: 0-60 ~7.3 vs V6 ~8.0

Gen 2 V8: 0-60 ~6.2 vs V6 ~ ... I can't find it :D oh well...

If it were not noticeable why would there be a V8.. just saying

I would love that LS, but im in Michigan....I have no clue where the hell buffalo is and those arent michigan or ohio plates LOL

HOT DAYUM! Look at this one!
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1619260323.html

I just emailed him

KBB is usually high but it says the car is worth $2890 in excellent condition. With the clutch work already done I'd say it's worth every penny as long as there's no big surprises when you look at it or drive it. He's looking to trade I'm not sure how much cash he's looking to get. You might have to offer him more and the 5 speed is worth it over the auto.

Members online

No members online now.
Back