US power and influence declines on Moronic Bush visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMark
viewpost.gif

I think we need a Dem in office and in control of Congress when we get attacked again. People will then be able to make a clear-cut distinction between how Repubs protect the country and how Dems do.

A major city goes down, panic the likes we've never experienced will ensue. Oil, $200 or more a gallon. Looting out of control. The Dems will call for a military curfew.

Only then will we get past this 50/50 impass. The Dems had a nice 40 year run in the House and Senate. Time for the Repubs to get the same timetable.[/quote]

I'm not so sure we can predict how a democrat president and congressional democrats would handle a terrorist attack since democrats often lie about their intentions and don't follow through on what they say they intend to do as evidenced by what has transpired thus far with democrats holding a majority of congress and their numerous broken promises after the 2006 elections. So, while you may think that democrats will freeze and drop the ball should we be attacked, I think they are also capable of going off the deep end in the opposite direction. They may declare martial law, suspend the constitution, invent or increase taxes in a panic to raise revenue to fight terrorism, tank our economy and invade Mexico and Canada--all while blaming President Bush. :rolleyes: The point being is that the current crop of ultra-left-wing democrats are unpredictable.

I couldn't agree more...

obama1cb8.png

The corrector gets corrected:

Ah shagdrum,
I was wondering when you would chime in.
I read the link you posted about the new american century
as well but it wouldn't pull your chain the way my link did.

Should be American, not american.

You supposedly wrote a book so you should have higher standards

Examples

3. Lets compare your grades to theirs - should be their's

Wrong. Theirs is correct. Look it up.

4. The guy cant open his yap without some christian overtones - should be can't

This wasn't Shagdrum's error.

5. Fortunately over 50% of the country disagreed with you- should be voters instead of country.

This is not a grammatical error - merely semantical. Not a bad point though.

8. You obviously hae no clue how the govenment works or what the function of military is.- should be has not hae and government not govenment and function of (the) military is.

Wrong. Should be have not has or hae.

Nobody usually plays grammar police on boards but you ironically have made 10 spelling errors in your post while criticising
my use of the english language.

Should be criticizing not criticising; should be English not english.

Perhaps you should run spell check and re read what you write before posting.
There are always errors like these in your posts.

Should be re-read not re read.

Anyways I just wanted to wish everyone a happy new year
and more interesting provoking posts in 2008.
Should be anyway not anyways.

Thank you for the lesson fossten.
As our President said:
"Childrens do learn"

No problem. :D

Feel free to correct any of my posts' grammar or spelling anytime...if you can find any.:shifty:

I read the link you posted about the new american century as well but it wouldn't pull your chain the way my link did.
Interesting, because your link is basically spin, while mine is the direct link to the group being attacked, yet you seem to just brush it off...
Rather telling

I was never comparing myself or my education with that of Bush.

No, but you were attacking his intellect through his education, which makes your education somewhat relevant to the discussion, at least in comparison to him.

As to my spelling and grammar maybe you should look at your's before you point out mine.
You supposedly wrote a book so you should have higher standards

Examples

1. an irrational hartred- should be hatred
2. Bush senior's carreer- should be career
3. Lets compare your grades to theirs - should be their's
debate in those cercumstances?- should be circumstances.
4. The guy cant open his yap without some christian overtones - should be can't

5. Fortunately over 50% of the country disagreed with you- should be voters instead of country.

6. though you have shown thta you don't use your head- should be that instead of thta
Well theres the problem, your Canadian - should be there's

7. Doesn't like debate or critisism- should be criticism

8. You obviously hae no clue how the govenment works or what the function of military is.- should be has not hae and government not govenment and function of (the) military is.

Nobody usually plays grammar police on boards but you ironically have made 10 spelling errors in your post while criticising
my use of the english language.
Perhaps you should run spell check and re read what you write before posting.
There are always errors like these in your posts.
Anyways I just wanted to wish everyone a happy new year
and more interesting provoking posts in 2008.

I wrote a book? When?
How does any of this critisism (hehe) have any relevance to the debate? Seems to me you are just avoiding the points I made here.

As far as I am concerned, grades in college are irrelevant, as are spelling and grammer (to a degree) as long as the point is made. You were the one citing Bushs' "C" student status as relevant, even though it isn't.
I have been effectively punished (as far as grades go) for holding conservative values in school, in some classes. Many of the wisest people I know were hardly superb students, while many of the most foolish people I know were "A" students. College today is at least as much about indoctrination as it is about teaching critical thinking (if not more). Maybe it was different when you went to college, but that is the way it is today. All good grades mean in many colleges today is that you studied tenaciously, and you can regurgitate liberal propaganda (at least in certian programs). It usually says nothing about your critical thinking abilities (or lack thereof).

What you are citing is irrelevant to the discussion here, and nothing but a cheap attack.

Oh, so you noticed that Mespock hasn't been around since the beginning of the year also.:D

Ya, huge Packer fan. Only made 5 games this year.:(

Favre beating Brady in the Super Bowl would be the greatest story ever told in football. The old gunslinger leading the kids to victory. One can only dream.

Hey I know when my team is down and not just lucky.. LOL...

Dream go to sleep and dream about those packers.. they have only one game left this year. :p

Stupider? Is that a word? (when you are attacking someones intellect, it helps if you use good grammar).

Well you attacked my use of the english language otherwise I wouldn't bring it up.

Stupider is a real word

stu·pid (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est

I love to engage in repartee with people who are stupider than I am.
Ann Coulter

I made a pact with myself a long time ago: Never watch anything stupider than you. It's helped me a lot.
Bette Midler

Can anything be stupider than that a man has the right to kill me because he lives on the other side of a river and his ruler has a quarrel with mine, though I have not quarrelled with him?
Blaise Pascal

:D
I wasn't sure what you meant by "christian quote". I thought you must be referring to the Bible because you used the term "quote". I'm still not sure what you're referring to. What do you mean by "christian overtones"? Do you have an example?

From today
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22443302/

Mike Huckabee, a Republican relying on support from religious conservatives in Thursday's hard-fought Iowa presidential caucuses, on Sunday stood by a decade-old comment in which he said, "I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ."
;)

Is it just me or did anybody else feel the air just go out of this thread?
I think its got legs :D

Dream go to sleep and dream about those packers.. they have only one game left this year.
Two games :D maybe three if Owens don't get the ball and pouts :D
The third will be bad for the pack if they can run that far.

Over on NBC's "Tonight'' show tonight, host Jay Leno will welcome a slightly more subdued guest: Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee.

Stupider? Is that a word? (when you are attacking someones intellect, it helps if you use good grammar).

Well you attacked my use of the english language otherwise I wouldn't bring it up.

I stand corrected.
I didn't think "stupider" was a word. It just sounds like bad english to me, hence the question.

:D

From today
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22443302/

Mike Huckabee, a Republican relying on support from religious conservatives in Thursday's hard-fought Iowa presidential caucuses, on Sunday stood by a decade-old comment in which he said, "I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ."
;)
This example is after your initial post. ;) At any rate, why would you be upset at Huckabee for defending a decade-old comment regardless of whether it's religious in nature? Moreover, it's not unusual for a republican or democrat to try to appeal to Christian conservatives for votes by discussing their personal views on such topics as abortion and family values. It sounds like Judeo-Christian values don't appeal to you so your offended anytime someone brings the topic up.

Huckabee campaign on a wing and a prayer
December 28th, 2007, filed by Ed Stoddard
From a pheasant shoot to prayers before his stump speeches, rising Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee’s cash-strapped campaign seems to have literally at times been done on a wing and a prayer.

A former Arkansas Governor and ordained Baptist preacher, Huckabee’s unexpected surge in the polls has been attributed in large part to his successful wooing of the Republican Party’s conservative and influential evangelical base.

That means his campaign events often kick off with prayers — a common way to start many public affairs in the American heartland, from rodeos to business breakfasts.

On Thursday night close to 1,000 people bowed their heads in prayer before several speakers took to the podium at an event dubbed “We The People” at a hotel in West Des Moines that ended with a Huckabee stump speech.

Last week at a campaign event for Huckabee sponsored by the Iowa Christian Alliance, Huckabee joined the group in prayers before and at the end of his speech. He also sprinkled several Bible references during his remarks.

The crucial Iowa caucus on Jan. 3 kicks off the presidential nomination process for both the Republicans and the Democrats for the November White House election.

“When you’re outspent 20 to one, and that’s basically the ratio here, it’s a remarkable story. If we come in second even third it’s still a remarkable story to be outspent like that,” Huckabe said on Thursday night, refering to Republican rival Mitt Romney’s financial advantage over him.

But Huckabee has been hitting key Republican ATMs like Texas and Florida this month in his fund-raising efforts. When December’s numbers are disclosed, he likely is hoping some of his prayers have been answered.

Prayers may go over well with the evangelical base but not so much with mainstream voters.
In a way it says "I'm not strong enough to win on my own so please help me God"

Prayers may go over well with the evangelical base but not so much with mainstream voters.
In a way it says "I'm not strong enough to win on my own so please help me God"
So, when Hillary uses a fake southern accent to try to appeal to southern voters does that also tell you that she's not strong enough to win on her own? Instead, she has to disingenuously pander to southern voters. Also, you're probably right in that Huckabee has asked God for help through prayer--After all, he is Christian, and Christians do appeal to God for help.

All politicians are manipulative and desire to win however they can.

Hillary is a chamelion focusing her style to a particular audience
which a lot of people find cynical just like her abandoned forced laughter.

Huckabee is appealing to people's Christian faith which is more exclusionary
than a regional accent. People of other faiths, or no faith will say he's not really interested in my vote or he wouldn't be so in your face with the emphasis on religion.

We'll see if he uses the same MO in New Hampshire which has a lot more moderate voters.
I say no as he's not stupid and knows he may alienate more voters there than he gains.

If Hillary does win the Democratic nomination it will be good fortune for the Republican Party as they'll all unite to fight her as this LA Times article suggests:

GOP BASE SCATTERS TO RIVAL CAMPS

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gop2jan02,0,2826395.story?coll=la-home-nation

All politicians are manipulative and desire to win however they can.

Rather large generalization

Huckabee is appealing to people's Christian faith which is more exclusionary
than a regional accent

Not in America...
You forget this is a nation founded on Christian values and principles

People of other faiths, or no faith will say he's not really interested in my vote or he wouldn't be so in your face with the emphasis on religion.

That seems to be reading into it quite a bit...

We'll see if he uses the same MO in New Hampshire which has a lot more moderate voters.

Remember, this is the primaries. Gotta appeal to the base, not the moderates

If Hillary does win the Democratic nomination it will be good fortune for the Republican Party as they'll all unite to fight her as this LA Times article suggests:

GOP BASE SCATTERS TO RIVAL CAMPS

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gop2jan02,0,2826395.story?coll=la-home-nation

True; kinda the reverse of the last prez election (all Kerry's votes were mostly "anti-Bush", or "ABB" votes)

This example is after your initial post.

You wanted one I gave you one. you want a older one here.

Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, asks in an upcoming article, ''Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?''

Who gives a $hit ? I don't .....the bible thumpers in Iowa must I guess.

Huckabee has asked God for help through prayer--After all, he is Christian, and Christians do appeal to God for help.

He can ask god all he wants that dosen't mean I want to hear about it.

Interesting how religious tolerance should only go one way, according to some in this country...

Athiests don't have to tolerate Christians, but Christians must go out of their way to accomodate (much more then tolerate) athiests.

Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, asks in an upcoming article, ''Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?''

fordnut may be a bit intemperate here but in essence he seems to be saying that Huckabee is manipulating his evangelical base.
As a professional Christian minister he surely could have
looked up Mormonism in 10 seconds and answered his own question:

To wit...

The authoritative Encyclopedia of Mormonism, published in 1992, does not refer to Jesus and Satan as brothers. It speaks of Jesus as the son of God and of Satan as a fallen angel, which is a Biblical account.

A spokeswoman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said Huckabee's question is usually raised by those who wish to smear the Mormon faith rather than clarify doctrine.

Huckabee has made other speak before you think gaffes,
The Pakistanis being the second largest group of illegal immigrants on the Mexican border ( reacting to the Bhutto assasination) as the latest example.

Since we live in the here and now I think fordnut and a lot of other moderate people want to hear more policy and less faith speak from Huckabee.

It seems Huckabee's faith is his strong suit but he seems not ready for prime time when he talks about national governance and foreign policy.

Jokes and affability will only take him so far.

fordnut may be a bit intemperate here but in essence he seems to be saying that Huckabee is manipulating his evangelical base.
No I what I said was
Couldnt agree with you more I I hear one more christian quote from Huckabee I am going to puke

Interesting how religious tolerance should only go one way, according to some in this country...

Athiests don't have to tolerate Christians, but Christians must go out of their way to accomodate (much more then tolerate) athiests.

Is this pointed at me shagdrum ?

Is this pointed at me shagdrum ?

Not really; though your comment did spark the train of thought that lead to that comment.

trust me, If I was aiming at you, you wouldn't have any question on that (think "subtle as a freight train"). :)

You don't live in Iowa but nevertheless you apparently care enough to complain because you're obviously anti-Christian.

The answer to the Mormon question posed by Huckabee is "yes", which no doubt he already knew the answer. He was obviously trying to persuade Christians who might vote for Romney to vote for him as someone with more mainstream Christian/biblical beliefs.

You wanted one I gave you one. you want a older one here.

He can ask god all he wants that dosen't mean I want to hear about it.

I was quoting fordnut MAC1
It's a free (mostly) country.
Religious people don't bother me and I don't bother them.
Bush and the evangelicals haven't forced me to go to church or interefered with my life.
I'm just always wary of the politician who hides his shortcomings by invoking God.

I was quoting fordnut MAC1
It's a free (mostly) country.
Religious people don't bother me and I don't bother them.
Bush and the evangelicals haven't forced me to go to church or interefered with my life.
I'm just always wary of the politician who hides his shortcomings by invoking God.
Then I stand corrected and apologize for attributing fordnut's statement to you.

I don't think a candidate that talks about God or Jesus is necessarily trying to hid shortcomings. A July 2007 ABC News poll found that 83% of Americans identify themselves as Christian. Huckabee isn't trying to hid anything, rather, he's trying to appeal to both evangelical and mainstream Christians. I'm sure you would agree that it's highly unlikely that a politician, much less a presidential candidate, could hid shortcomings--There is no such thing in today's political arena.

Members online

No members online now.
Back