underhood shine?

Jayce 1971

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the detail shops use to get engine compartments looking so shiny? Is it tire wet, or an armorall like product? Just like the look of "just detailed" engine. I'm sure there are several products out there, but I have never tried any. Thanks guys.

Well, Ive mostly used Mobile 1 motor oil diluted with wd40. Its an oldtimers detailing trick. (mostly for car shows)

I have mine steamed. Then just keep it clean with Simple Green.

LS CAIa.jpg

Show off!!!!! But hey that looks really sweet!!

^^ :cool:

Does anyone know what the detail shops use to get engine compartments looking so shiny? Is it tire wet, or an armorall like product? Just like the look of "just detailed" engine. I'm sure there are several products out there, but I have never tried any. Thanks guys.
I know this is the LS forum, but how much gloss do you want?

I use Meguiar's detailer line Hyper Dressing if I want a glossy shine, or just Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line #40 Vinyl/Rubber cleaner+protectant if I want more of a rich satin-matte finish.

Here's Hyper-Dressing diluted 2:1 with #40 on the hoses on my other car:
sta71314.jpg

You can dilute hyper-dressing more to change the gloss as well. 4:1 gives it more of that matte finish. Of course you have to thoroughly clean the engine bay before applying any dressings.

PlastX works well to clear up the coolant, power steering and brake fluid reservoirs if your's are clouding. Use an aluminum polish on the cast aluminum parts to remove any oxidation. I like to give the fire wall, underside of hood and inner fenders a few coats of a synthetic wax as well.

To prevent damage to the COPs, I cover them with plastic bags. Cover the alternator as well.
It also helps to have dielectric grease in the boot and around the boot's seal to the head.

Here are a few thoughts on engine bay detailing. FYI, I detail my engine compartment once per year.

Before you apply any dressings, the engine bay must be clean. I use Simple Green diluted 50/50 in a spray bottle. I spay everywhere, and agitate with a soft brush (a paintbrush works great for getting into nooks and crannies).

I'll use engine degreaser ONLY on the hood latch, since it is often one of the dirtiest parts under the hood of my car (don't forget to re-lube at the end!)

After the engine is clean, rinsed and dried, the next trick is to build contrast between the black plastic parts/hoses, etc., and the paint. The easiest way to do this is to make the black parts blacker. Now, I do not like a lot of shine on the hoses, shrouds, etc. To my eye, it looks artificial. Instead, I try to get a nice satin sheen on the black or rubber surfaces. For dressing, I use 3M Tire Dressing on a small sponge. I wipe everywhere, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then wipe off the excess. I'll post some pix of the finished product later.

Hey Quik, I still want some info on that shock tower brace you have?

Run the motor for about 3-5 minutes to warm it up, cover anything you don't want to get wet (wires, plugs, etc.). Mist with water from hose, spray diluted 1:1 degreaser and let sit for a few minutes. Aggitate any heavily dirty spots, then rinse off. You can use a tire dressing or a vinyl dressing for the plastic parts, chrome polish works for piping. I wouldn't use WD-40 for any long term effects, just quick shows. It will attract a lot of dirt.

I'm not into the high gloss/shinny look under the hood, so after wiping everything down with a damp rag, I use Griots Vinyl & Rubber Dressing. It gives a nice satin look, just like it came from the factory.

KNCAI.jpg

Thanks for the ideas

I appreciate all the input and variety of ideas. My engine is "clean." (once a month spray at the super wash), but losing the "detail shine." Thanks for all of the suggestions. Here's my two cents: Never, ever, ever spray engine degreaser on aluminum parts, unless you like oxidation!:D :D :D Oh, and I already have the back to black product, I'll prolly try that first, after it warms up a wee bit.

Schweeet!

dRock, Quick, Tman, all kicka$$ underhood shots. I really like the red/black contrast on Tman's ride.

Clean looking engines there, guys. You've inspired me to polish mine up! :D Hopefully after this crummy weather dissipates.

Whatever you choose to use, make sure it is not FLAMMABLE before you spray it on.

I have seen a car catch on fire because of flammable dressing that was sprayed under the hood. And before anyone asks, it was not me that did it. :p

Hey Rollin where did you get that engine cover?

Did those covers for the shock mounting hardwear come with EVERY year?

My 03 does not have them...

ahha!!! Thanks quik... I've seen them before and intended on asking but I forgot.

just to narrow down, which above mentioned products were non flammable? i have 4 hid ballasts that i really do not want to take out (PITA) to wash the engine bay. i want something i can spray on a rag and wipe down.

Members online

Back