Under Body Canister Tray on 97-98 mark VIII

I got a new one from my local Lincoln dealer a year ago the metal is pretty cheap, it was new but had rust starting in spots where the original coating had come off. I stripped and painted with Imron, let it cure for a month then waxed the crap of it. I also replaced all the rubber hoses, they were nasty.

Now that I think about it I prob should had it powder coated...rats...

is there an ETA on this part yet? My canisters are now about to fall through. hoping to be able to purchase on this friday.

Heres the deal, I've been trying to get some time to work on these, but work and school are taking up all my time. I ahve my ap calc test and final paper for english due this week. After all that is done I will be free to spend much more time on this.

hey man i feel you...studies come first. i'm going to try and find a way to temp fix the problem until you get some free time. :cool:

any word on this project yet or does anyone have an extra tray that they can sell me as my canisters are now hanging through the servely rotted out tray. :eek:

Perhaps a wire wheel on a drill motor and clean off whats left of your tray. Then silicone or pop rivet a flat sheet or strips of sheet metal to the cleaned areas of the tray as a temp fix, till the "kid" can make you a kick ass replacement.

If you need bent pieces of sheet metal, for the quick fix. A hammer and a bench vise can be used for some rudimentary bends for corners or edges.

I will actually have time to work on these this weekend. I have had one hurtle after another getting anything done, and my grandpa dieing didn't help any.

If I don't get a few done this weekend you can slaughter me.

first thing sorry about your family loss "kid". this definitely isn't more important than that, plus school trust me i know. I only bumped up the topic because i went to pull out my mark and large pieces of my tray was on the ground in my garage. Also i too thought about trying to salvage my tray but there is nothing left..lol so i'm just letting the car sit until kid can get around to making the trays or i find one in decent condition at a junkyard. I'm just still trying to understand how ford could have used such inferior material for these trays and yet the trays on other ford vehicles are way better quality. anyway thanks for the advice on the metal strips though...i just wish i had enough of my tray to work with. well at least the weather has been jacked for the last week and it won't get any better this week or next so the extra down time is cool.

I have one that is half done, shouldn't take me more than 20 minutes to finish it up, and I will try and get a few mroe done.

School is just nuts, ap calc is no fun at all!

Members online

No members online now.
Back