Tune up time...........

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tune up time........... Ok, its overdue --

SO -- what should I do? Which particular parts? I dont want to spend a ton of money - but im willing to spend a bit..... SO lets do it right....

Joeychgo said:

SO -- what should I do? Which particular parts? I dont want to spend a ton of money - but im willing to spend a bit..... SO lets do it right....

If your car has efi and an ignition box rather than a dizzy then all you need to do is change the oil, oil filter, air filter (or clean it if its oil based) and, if it's been more than a year, change the coolent.

If possible check the diff and gearbox for levels and leaks. If the transmission oil looks like crap or feels gritty then you may need to get it flushed and replaced.

Another trick with an EFI car is to disconnect the battery for an hour or 2 so it loses its memory and then "retrain" the ecu for idle and driving style.

Oil & Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
PCV Valve
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Coolant Flush
Transmission Flush
Brake Inspection
Exhaust Inspection
Drive Belt Inspection
Clean Battery Terminals
Clean/Tighten Engine Compartment Grounds

:L

Did the coolant and tranny fluid already

what brands/models on the plugs, wires, etc.

Joeychgo said:
Did the coolant and tranny fluid already

For the plug wires you can't beat the MSD wires at summit racing. P/N MSD-32219

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=MSD+Cobra

As far as plugs goes, Autolite 764s are a good choice. I run 1 step colder plug AWSF-22C , gave me more power and better gas mileage, also got rid of my "pinging" even with 91 octane. I plan on trying the NGK Iridiums within a month. ($6.99 each at www.ngk.com)

Joeychgo said:

Oil & Filter - K&N Filter / Castrol SynBlend 5W-30
Air Filter - K&N Cone Filter(Clean & re-oil)
Fuel Filter - Purolator F64728
PCV Valve - Purolator PV118C
Spark Plugs - Autolite 764
Spark Plug Wires - MSD 32219
Drive Belt Inspection - Dayco PolyCog 5060980

The above are my preferences. For reference...

Purolator PureOne oil filter - PL24651
Purolator air filter(stock) - A34826

Oh and you may want to clean your MAF sensor.

Last edited:
Hey, is any 'ol PCV valve the same or are there differences in brands and stuff?

WackyWRZ said:
Hey, is any 'ol PCV valve the same or are there differences in brands and stuff?

As long as it crosses over in the book and fits, there's no technical difference. All replacements I have seen are the multi-purpose "F" shape with 2 hose hookups. Hook up the one the hose fits and plug the other one with the supplied rubber plug.

How hard a job is it to change out the battery wires & terminals?

The battery terminals just need to be unbolted from the frame, block, battery, and fuse box and starter (good luck with the one on the block).

For you 5.0 fans out there dont forget about distributor, rotor, and PCV FILTER. (Very frequently overlooked part of the 5.0)

Hi All

I not sure if it's a good idea to use a K&N type filter that is "soaked" in oil on your Mark VIII with a MAF sensor, it has been the experiance of some that over a period of time oil from the filter builds up on the MAF sensor decreasing it's functionality and secondly I am a firm believer in using only genuine Ford plug wires on the 4.6 liter engine.

No one has yet mentiond flushing the PAS oil or brake fluid, often over looked service items, check out http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article44.html for more info on changing your fluids.

Regards

Dereck

Joeychgo said:
How hard a job is it to change out the battery wires & terminals?

The terminals are easy and may I recommend an upgrade:

battery.jpg

Dereck said:
...and secondly I am a firm believer in using only genuine Ford plug wires on the 4.6 liter engine.

No one has yet mentiond flushing the PAS oil or brake fluid, often over looked service items, check out http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article44.html for more info on changing your fluids.

If your going stock you might as well go with the FMS Wires from summit racing. http://store.summitracing.com/defau...ykeyword&searchtype=both&part=Ford+Cobra+Wire
I have seen many times over that the MSDs @ $81.99 are just as good as the FMS ones @$119.

And as far as Brake fluid and PAS, thats a great idea. I plan on doing my brake fluid this weekend because my brakes feel a bit "spongey", probably from many brakings at high speed :cool: boiling my fluid. And as Dereck's link states, using a vac bleeder is a great idea. Harbor Freight sells 'em for under $30 usually, and its one of the best $30 I ever spent. Bleed your brakes once with one and you'll be hooked, guaranteed. I would also reccomend using good fluid like Valvoline's Synpower synthetic.

Joeychgo said:

Overdue, hell didn't we talk about doing this about a year ago! :N

Joey,
I just did the MSD wires from Summit, and the Autolite 764's as well. I noticed a nice improvement in idle, and a tad more power throughout the rpm range. But thats because I drive my car ALOT, and I drive it like a get-away car, and I baby it. I noticed a slight increase in mileage, but the most significant difference, is throttle response. I dont know how, or why, but its almost as if the car got "chipped" as far as throttle response(our 95 has a SCT chip, so I know the difference in throttle response-Cjip vs stock).

Fuel filter, oil, coolant, battery terminals, JMOD(he-he, had to sneak that in), belt, and Mercon V are all important maintenance items. But $15.00 for plugs, PCV, and another $90 for the MSD(btw, they are the replacement wire for Cobra's...direct mod. No "custom" work needed), and you will feel the difference.

I know you already have a tranny cooler, so i wont even suggest that to you, but to everyone else...keep that Mercon V nice and cool, and your tranny will thank you! ;)

Heck - my spark plugs wires are 18 gauge speaker wire. COPs on the Gen 2's.

I did buy some 22c's however - I couldn't believe the difference in going one step colder. ANY EFI engine loves them cold plugs.

Joeychgo said:
thats the key to these cars --- cold..........

This crazy Nebraska has just gone from being in the 60s to 90+ today and tommarow, and back into the 60s next week. My car is definatly not liking the heat. I am hearing more pinging when I get on it.

same weather situation here about 80 today-- which is why im cleaning the garage. Lotta fun -- I still have about 12 trips to the curb to make.......

No kidding........ But, it is my favorite time of year, well, late spring is anyway. Too much work and money in early spring.

OK - which one of you guys do I make an apt for a tune up with? I would like all of ya! You think I'm kidding- I will get raped at the mechanics! Anybody have a hook up in Columbus, OH, or close?

I love it, you guys are great.

Debi!

Where are all the grounds at? I think I have either a short or a loose connection. Ive checked the ones on the battery, fender, and the fuse box one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back