Transmission problems

WrazedWrong

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 97 Mark VIII and havent had it a week and the trans goes in reverse only now.
Will a transmission from a 98 Mark VIII work in a 97 Mark VIII?
Is there any other transmissions that are interchangeable?
Any info would be appreciated

Yes a 98 will work but I believe there is a need to use the 97s electronics. Anything with a 4R70W will work. If the tailshaft is wrong you can swap yours over.

And if he were to search "engine" he would never find his answer. :lol:

Yes a 98 will work but I believe there is a need to use the 97s electronics. Anything with a 4R70W will work. If the tailshaft is wrong you can swap yours over.

And if he were to search "engine" he would never find his answer. :lol:
Thanks
So a 93 thru 97 Mark VIII transmission will work with no problem?

Thanks
So a 93 thru 97 Mark VIII transmission will work with no problem?

Yes, unless the 97 has the tag on it showing that it was upgraded. If you can get a 98, get one and swap out the electrical internals and J-Mod it. Very simple to do and besides the trans cost, the electrical swap and J-Mod only cost about $10.00 and your time. 98 is a much better trans.

just a question for my own personal information can i 4r75w trans mission work for a maark viii?

Yes, unless the 97 has the tag on it showing that it was upgraded. If you can get a 98, get one and swap out the electrical internals and J-Mod it. Very simple to do and besides the trans cost, the electrical swap and J-Mod only cost about $10.00 and your time. 98 is a much better trans.
Thanks for the info

No problem. If you do get a 98 trans, get with me and I'll provide you with all the info step by step to get you swapped over and be rolling again. Make sure you have help lined up when you try to do the swap.

Exhaust has to come down, fuel tank, drive shaft and then the trans. Not fun alone. J-Mod and electrical internal swap can be done while both are on the floor and upside down within an hour.

No problem. If you do get a 98 trans, get with me and I'll provide you with all the info step by step to get you swapped over and be rolling again. Make sure you have help lined up when you try to do the swap.

Exhaust has to come down, fuel tank, drive shaft and then the trans. Not fun alone. J-Mod and electrical internal swap can be done while both are on the floor and upside down within an hour.
I do know where a 98 is but was told it wouldnt work
I think I may buy it now and try the electrical swap I dont have a clue what a J-mod is

I do know where a 98 is but was told it wouldnt work
I think I may buy it now and try the electrical swap I dont have a clue what a J-mod is

It will work with ease and many many people on here will back me when I say this. How many miles is on it and how much can you get it for? I got mine with a little over 60K miles on it delivered to my door for $250 but I got damn lucky. Swapping out electrical internals is something my 8 year old son was helping me with. Doing the J-Mod is something that may seem intimidating but with the 98, it's very simple to do. Only takes two different sized bits. 3/32's and a 7/64th bit and I'll provide you with the drilling diagram that shows the holes you will be making bigger. The holes are already there, you're just enlarging them to allow better fluid flow. Better 2nd, 3rd gear and it will engage in reverse right then with no hesitation.

The cost of the two gaskets needed for the J-Mod are around $3.00 each and you will need two. Get those from Maxx (check on the right for his ad) and he will ship you exactly what you need. When you get done, you'll be like "is that it" and then it will be install time and then the fun begins but if you have help, it's nothing to it.

It will work with ease and many many people on here will back me when I say this. How many miles is on it and how much can you get it for? I got mine with a little over 60K miles on it delivered to my door for $250 but I got damn lucky. Swapping out electrical internals is something my 8 year old son was helping me with. Doing the J-Mod is something that may seem intimidating but with the 98, it's very simple to do. Only takes two different sized bits. 3/32's and a 7/64th bit and I'll provide you with the drilling diagram that shows the holes you will be making bigger. The holes are already there, you're just enlarging them to allow better fluid flow. Better 2nd, 3rd gear and it will engage in reverse right then with no hesitation.

The cost of the two gaskets needed for the J-Mod are around $3.00 each and you will need two. Get those from Maxx (check on the right for his ad) and he will ship you exactly what you need. When you get done, you'll be like "is that it" and then it will be install time and then the fun begins but if you have help, it's nothing to it.
Its at a local pull-a-part and all of their transmissions are $75 w/30 day warranty I have no idea how many miles are on it.
I found another trans from a tbird w/70000 miles on it for $100

Its at a local pull-a-part and all of their transmissions are $75 w/30 day warranty I have no idea how many miles are on it.
I found another trans from a tbird w/70000 miles on it for $100

From seeing others past experience (won't call no names "coughs" two humps), I would go with the 30 day warranty but try to find out the mileage if possible. They should have some sort of clue what they have on them. You should be fine with one. If it's under 100K, there shouldn't be any problems but that 70K sounds better if you know it's from a known running and rolling car.

i dont mean to jack this thread its related but for the electricals i can swap my 95 bird trans right over into my 97 mark...... my birds trans has less mileage and j-modded just asking or is that wen i have to repin it?

i dont mean to jack this thread its related but for the electricals i can swap my 95 bird trans right over into my 97 mark...... my birds trans has less mileage and j-modded just asking or is that wen i have to repin it?

Swapping electrical internals is what stops you from having to do the re-pin. It makes it plug-n-play. A 95 may not even need anything swapped. Not real sure on that one. It could be just a simple swap over. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Again thanks I didn't mean to impose on someone else's post but thanks again

Your fine I'm learning too so the more info thats posted here the better for me

Ok kool so everything pre 98 will plug into eachother for wiring with original car wiring.......a while ago my 95 bird was having wire issues I thought it was exposed trans wires and they touched ground and it fried my ecu fuse turns out it was 02 sensor touching ground any ways so I went to the junk yard got a trans wiring under body harness off a 97 bird big mistake put it in and drove no first or fourth I think but everything plugged in no codes came up besides well first and fourth errors..... I look at the diagram of them and turns out half of them went to a different location

Members online

Back