Transmission/Idle problem. (Video)

Just replace every vac line you have to eliminate it. Also, cleaning an IAC with carb cleaner is not a fix. Get a new Motorcraft IAC and replace, along with a new gasket and do the TPS at the same time. You'll need a new TB gasket. Don't forget to plug the TPS in before you put the TB back on.

Stormberg, Thanks for all the possible situations. Ill look for that plug later tonight. There is a wrecked mark in town that I may be able to pull off the throttle body to compare (the guy lets me have any part off the car for pretty cheap so its not a big deal). Thanks for the help everyone, Ill keep you all posted.

If you think you might have vacuum leak you can always unplug each vacuum line one by one and cap the nipple off.
At the end of the day if the idle hangs you have air coming in somewhere. You can unplug the maf and see if it makes a diff.
Try unplugging the iac and rev it up a little, if the idle hangs tap the iac with the handle of a screw driver and see if it drops right away.

Went through every vacuum line I could access and none of them are leaking. Capped them all off and idle was still hanging. Disconnected IAC, still hanging. Disconnected MAF and IAC, idle still hanging. I would try and tap it but I have a gen 1 so the intake tube is in the way. Took her to ford and the idiot charged me 80$ to use the same code reader they have at Oreilly's. codes..

10-Cylinder #1 Failed Cylinder balance test
214-Cylinder Identification Circuit Failure
335-PFE sensor voltage out of test range
336-PFE voltage above maximum voltage with zero EVR duty cycle

Last edited:
thought maybe a bad EVR solenoid but don't know how to diagnose it. here's how I tried to diagnose it... The EGR system is supposed to open the EGR valve at 2,000 RPM. My EVR solenoid has no vacuum going to the EGR at any time, even at 4,000 rpm. So I put a hose on the vac line to the EGR and manually opened it. At idle the car was running very rough and there was a knock in the engine (maybe because it was so rich?). At RPM it still didn't make a difference on the hanging idle while it was open. Not sure how good of a test that was but I wanted to try something.

Went through every vacuum line I could access and none of them are leaking. Capped them all off and idle was still hanging. Disconnected IAC, still hanging. Disconnected MAF and IAC, idle still hanging. I would try and tap it but I have a gen 1 so the intake tube is in the way. Took her to ford and the idiot charged me 80$ to use the same code reader they have at Oreilly's. codes..

10-Cylinder #1 Failed Cylinder balance test
214-Cylinder Identification Circuit Failure
335-PFE sensor voltage out of test range
336-PFE voltage above maximum voltage with zero EVR duty cycle

And I guess they want around $2700 to fix it... Those people down there done me the same way when I had a leaking fuel pump gasket on the black 94. This ain't no lie... They told me my filler neck was bent and I needed one of those. They told me I had to have a new fuel pump and a new fuel tank. I was looking at nearly $1800 to do what they wanted to do. I jacked it up myself and had a 93 fuel tank laying in the garage at this time and it had a fuel pump in it. I removed the pump from the 94 and the same with the 93 and I found a kink in the gasket for the 94 fuel pump. Someone had replaced it with a new one and it was a Motorcraft but all I done was swapped out gaskets for free and it never leaked again from that day on. My filler neck was not bent and nothing was wrong with my pump because it ran 5 years after they said all of this. :rolleyes:

Ya, trained ford mechanics my a$$. Half of them have no business at a dealership.

I think you have a failed PFE sensor dude. There is a way to test it with a voltmeter but I am uncertain how to do that. Address that issue first, clear the codes, and then reassess.

I'll have to look up how to test it. Looks fun to get to also. Would that explain my idle problems also or just the PFE codes?

I also noticed on the inside of my throttle body between the butterfly valves (above the hole for the intake tube) that there is another small hole that goes through to the bottom to what looks like an arrow shaped passageway. Problem is that the throttle body gasket covers this anyway, and in some pictures (mostly 93's) the throttle body does not have that hole on the top... Is that just for more air at idle? Is it really necessary?

When you remove your intake tube, do you still have a stud sticking up from the TB? This is a pic of an old rebuild GMAN was working on. Is that the hole you're talking about?

95c47352.jpg

Not the one for the intake tube bolt. There is another. I have a Gen 1 TB. Sorry for the crappy photo. Its the hole on top.

IMG_0046[1].jpg

That's one of the ones that I seen. lol. Yea, im not sure what its for. I'll try and cap it sometime and see what happens.

FIXED!!!! I plugged the hole and every problem is GONE!!! I'm So happy. Thanks guys

Makes sense. I cant believe how much better the car runs now. I don't wanna stop driving. lol I feel like every one of us mark VIII owners get tired of all the trouble these cars give, but when everything works right for that split second... its the best feeling ever.

Makes sense. I cant believe how much better the car runs now. I don't wanna stop driving. lol I feel like every one of us mark VIII owners get tired of all the trouble these cars give, but when everything works right for that split second... its the best feeling ever.

110% true! Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Changed out my intake gaskets to fix the too lean codes on my 97
And found the brass plug laying on the imrc
Put it back in the bottom side of the throttle body , new ford gaskets and no more codes
Glad you got yours fixed too.
I Read some where I'm my enormo shop. Manual it's a throttle plate stop.
Sounds like a way for the dealer to hawk it off inya.

Yep exact plug I found layin loose when I did my intake gaskets ,
Screwed it back into the bottom of the throttle body and no mor vac leak
Glad it was simple but what a job doin the gaskets , did it on. My own in one day.

Members online

No members online now.
Back