tranny rebuild

Markviiiedrea

Speed Bump
Reaction score
all right after over two grand in my tranny i still have problomes with it, the guys who rebuilt it scamed me, and i got the shaft so what im going to do now is ,i have a tranny out of a 95 couger and i want to get a rebuild kit for it , the only thing i found is an art carr kit but i have heard alot of bad things about it , i would like to get a lentech but i dont have that kind of money, actuall i have no money but do what you have to do. so i need alot of info, what some of you guys have done and what i should do ?

Eric

I'd look into seeing what i could do to get some coinage back first from the morons, then give us a number that you have to spend. There are many options from junk yard pieces, to take outs, to professionally rebuilt 600 rwhp versions. Post some more pertainent info when you get a chance as to your direction and we can lend some decent advice.

well i will spend what i have to i dont need a tranny that can hold 900 hp, just one that can withstand a shift kit and a lead foot, there is a good place down here who agreed to do it i wouild like to keep this under 500 i was just wondering if there is a better kit out there other wis i will give max a call "again"

-Eric

Well there is a shutter/hesitation at 35 and 45 mph at a 1/4 throttle, when it down shifts out of 3rd there is a grinding sound, and when it shifts out of first there is a quick vibration due to a leaky 1-2 accumulator o-ring. Once and a while it slips out of 3rd gear, and if you push the gas in past ¾ throttle it comes back and shifts up again. Dose any one here know if a 95 cougar tranny is the same because I have the valve body from one cause it had the shift kit all ready installed. I think if I take a loan out I was thinking about getting a Lintec tranny, what can you guys tell me about it I have heard a lot of good things about it, thanks.

-Eric

With 2 grand in what you got, it sounds like time for BBB and small claims court. :mad:

driller said:
With 2 grand in what you got, it sounds like time for BBB and small claims court. :mad:

ponyfreak is selling a new tranny over on mark8.org for 1300

Well the reason i wanted a Lintec is cuz of warranty. it would be cheaper to buy e-bay or something but I’m going to have the work warranted too along with a good tranny, im going to bend over good for this one. i have been trying to get around to sending a letter to the BBB even with that i dont think it would help me to much . but i will do any way

Hey ray I was at a swap meet today able to get a dealer book for the AOD-E and it has tranny trouble shooting inst and tells you how to tare down and rebuild the tranny with op checks, it’s a good book so if any one needs it I would be able to photo copy it., we will see if it helps me at all.

:bash: im going to start selling crack for money, any one interested??????
HA i kill my self some times, for sale slightly used mark viii needs some tranny work? I KID I KID, SCUSE ME!

Markviiiedrea said:
Well the reason i wanted a Lintec is cuz of warranty. it would be cheaper to buy e-bay or something but I’m going to have the work warranted too along with a good tranny, im going to bend over good for this one. i have been trying to get around to sending a letter to the BBB even with that i dont think it would help me to much . but i will do any way.
How bout sitting down with the owner of the AAMCO place and laying the cards on the table. Maybe they will work with you to make things right before things have to get nasty.

For $2000, you should have a trans with NO issues. Period. Anything less is unexceptable. If you need me to chime in and rag on these people, let me know. I can rag with the best of them, and for a felllow Mark owner, especially a 2nd Gen '98 owner, willing to do whatever it takes.

MonsterMark said:
For $2000, you should have a trans with NO issues. Period. Anything less is unexceptable. If you need me to chime in and rag on these people, let me know. I can rag with the best of them, and for a felllow Mark owner, especially a 2nd Gen '98 owner, willing to do whatever it takes.

Reminds me of the time I helped a bud out by calling the dealership he got his creampuff used caddy from. It soon became obvious the odo had been wound back, so I called and played 'attorney', threatening to take him to the State's Attorney General, etc... Later, the guy took back the car no questions asked.

:I For $2K, any place should be able to give you a transmission with no problems, so they have no excuse. They should be made to make it right. Sux it always seems to be Aamco though, and somehow they're still in business. :mad:

Well aamco would have done a better job, it was re built in vadala GA by a salvige yard because I was getting the hell out of the way of Frances, and on my way through GA I lost 3rd gear (should have limped it back home) so that was the local shop and they agreed to do it for 1300, well I got if back seemed fine so I left on my marry way, well a month later there was a shutter in the Tran and I called them up and after arguing with them for ten min (they wanted me to drive 5 hours and leave the car there a week for them to fix, I cant I have school) so they sent me a torque converter from day co . Not to mention I found used parts in my tranny i.e. filter gaskets (they denied every thing). I put it in the car with the shift kit and it ran fine than the shutter came back two weeks later, and the rest of the problems that I said above.

-Eric

Last edited:
Markviiiedrea said:
Well aamco would have done a better job, it was re built in vadala GA by a salvige yard because I was getting the hell out of the way of Frances, and on my way through GA I lost 3rd gear (should have limped it back home) so that was the local shop and they agreed to do it for 1300, well I got if back seemed fine so I left on my marry way, well a month later there was a shutter in the Tran and I called them up and after arguing with them for ten min (they wanted me to drive 5 hours and leave the car there a week for them to fix, I cant I have school) so they sent me a torque converter from day co . Not to mention I found used parts in my tranny i.e. filter gaskets (they denied every thing). I put it in the car with the shift kit and it ran fine than the shutter came back two weeks later, and the rest of the problems that I said above.

-Eric

i wonder if there replaced the accum. springs

eric
call your local channel 2 news station and ask for the shame on you guys. tell them about it and when they go i guarantee youll get satisfaction. although id suggest getting my money returned.
Eric

ERIC1 said:
eric
call your local channel 2 news station and ask for the shame on you guys. tell them about it and when they go i guarantee youll get satisfaction. although id suggest getting my money returned.
Eric

well i dont know who they are , but i was just planing on a GTA ramage in GA but that would be the more legal way of doing it

lincolnboy said:
i wonder if there replaced the accum. springs

they did the spring but not the piston

tranny pics 014 (Small).jpg

All right this is what I know right now, I was talking with the trans mechanic and we both think its the new torque converter that I put in so I need to find a better one, order one from max or is there better? Also when the trans is out I was going to get it inspected and replace what is needed so that’s the plan for now, but I’m looking for an other mark for cheap still. :wrench

Markviiiedrea said:
All right this is what I know right now, I was talking with the trans mechanic and we both think its the new torque converter that I put in so I need to find a better one, order one from max or is there better? Also when the trans is out I was going to get it inspected and replace what is needed so that’s the plan for now, but I’m looking for an other mark for cheap still. :wrench

no no gotta do legal stuff first then if not satisfied then go the other way

Go with a Precision Converter. I think Steve at Houston Performance still has the best price on them.

Or for a little less money get ahold of EDGE converters.Great stuff as well.

i have heard of precision befor but dont they only make stock, i was wondering if any one makes a higher stall, a good one

No, Precision doesnt make a stock converter.They only make higher stall rated converters. They are probably the most popular out right now, but EDGE is planning on changing that with their new converters.
Same quality if not better for a couple hundred less.

Here you go.Give them a call, they're very helpful on the phone.
http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/

unstoppable said:
No, Precision doesnt make a stock converter.They only make higher stall rated converters. They are probably the most popular out right now, but EDGE is planning on changing that with their new converters.
Same quality if not better for a couple hundred less.

Here you go.Give them a call, they're very helpful on the phone.
http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/

thanks man for the help, i will let you know what happens :Beer

question: dose the converter have any thing to do with presure in the tranny? cuz when im in third it slips out of gear and back into third.

One other:when the OD is off it dose not make that grinding sound when it down shift into seconed, like wise when its on it makes that sound out of od and out of third, if im right i think i might be able to get away with just a converter.

and one more what could have happend to this coverter to do this it only has 500 mi on it , some thing i did?

Eric

ps :max how much for one?

Members online

No members online now.
Back