Trading the LS for an LS?...

Lucky_Ls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've seen some post from some of you guys where you've traded in your LS for another LS. More often then not you guys trade it in for a newer (1st Gen to 2nd Gen). I'm thinking about do this exact same thing. I've been looking at some other vehicles and there's a few I like but I still feel like I have unfinished business with the LS. I've been looking at this white 06. I would never picture myself in a white car but this one looks awesome!!!
I already have an Xcal 3 SCT and I'm going to keep my rims I currently have. The gains outweigh the losses I'm going to be getting if I do indeed to the trade in for an 06. Less miles, no overheating issues looming overhead while I'm driving, no hail damage to worry about repairing, the front bumper I already want, 3.58 gears stock! The other things aren't that that big of a deal, stainless steel brake lines, cold air intake, springs, speakers, tinted windows if it doesn't already have it, and a few other goodies I can't think of right now!
You guys who have traded you LS's for another LS what has been your deciding factor?

Do it! Too many stories of trading in for non-LS's here :[

No Doubt! I still have love for the LS, just not mine at the moment! I hardly every hear about big problems with the 2nd gen's. Unless I'm missing something?:shifty:

Traded my 02 silver LSE for a black 06. I looked for like 6 months for a black 04/05 LSE but couldn't find one near enough or decently priced. The 06 has the LSE body kit but not the LSE rims and all red tails. I was going to put different rims on it anyways so the redtails and badges were the only thing missing. Well technically an all leather steering wheel and shift knob are needed too but i can live w/o those. i have done the badge conversion but the tails are gonna run like 300-350 so I opted to tint it and put springs on first. tails and spoiler are next on the list. I really like the LS. Sure there are faster cars out there but for 15000 or so what else can you get that is comparable (year and mileage)? i was also looking at a 2004 Volvo S60 R but it was more money and repairs are outrageous on those things. I also was looking at M3s but again too much money.
I love my LS, but if i were in a position to spend 20-25 instead of 12-16 on my second car it would probably be like an 01/02 M5. I also like the
Infiniti M45, Audi A8 and of course the S type R Jag. But like you said i loved the LS enough to stay with it. Everyone I know knows I am a ford man, particularly lincoln.
In truth the main reason I got rid of my 02 was I had put nearly 3000 into a start up problem and still couldn't get it fixed. still no clue what it was...
As far as problems with 2nd gen...
Some people have tranny problems but I think most of that is PCM. Some people have had coil issues (but not yet for me anyway). I know I had to replace one rear shock at 49000 so I just did all 4. I had a little trouble with the drivers side seat heater but the piping had come undone. So far no real problems yet. 14000 miles into ownership. bought it at 49000 now
63000. I would recommend dynomat on the rear deck if you want clear bass with the THX system.

Sold my 2000 and bought an 06. Love it. Only mod is putting in a Pioneer Avic F900bt.

Great car. Bought w/ 49000 now have 57K. No trouble yet.

Yeah I'm also going to trade up for the '06 once I get mine paid off ( like 18 months )... I'm hoping they'll be down to around 10k or so by the time I'm in the market.

an uninsured motorist,

but thats why i got rid of the 1st gen,
the reasons i got a 2nd gen are:
a mucho bigger center console
the heated seats will stay on for more than 10 min
cooled seats
auto up power windows (non auto up windows drove me crazy every time i left a drive through or ATM)
better looking rear end
a factory extended warranty on the VCG and coils
puddle lights
nicer looking steering wheel
more than one power port (i do see that some 1st gens do have an extra one on the back of the center console, mine did not)
did i mention a bigger center console
and who doesn't want more power

rsimmons 06s are going for like 16-18 where I live. I dont know if they will drop to 10 in a year and a half. Most 04+ with average mileage are not even 10 yet. I am sure it depends on where you live, but a decently equipped LS with 60000 or less in miles is still up there in price. they have already had their big drop from 45000 in the first couple of years. Cars usually hit a point where they stop losing so much value.
But I hope you do find a good deal on one. And who knows maybe I am wrong and they will be going for 10 soon.

The 06 LS's I've been looking at are around 16k to 18k as well. I'm really considering it!
What kinda coil problems are you guys seeing with the 2 Gen's? I've heard that the 03 (first 2nd Gen LS) had coil problems but that it's still usually covered under factory warranty. Does that include the VCG going bad as well or?... Haven’t heard any cooling problems as of yet. Did Ford/Lincoln ditch the way the cooling system was don’t from Gen 1 to Gen 2?:confused:
I already know some family members and friends of mine are looking at me like I’m crazy but I DON’T CARE!!!:mad: I do love the LS, I just happen to A. Don’t have enough time or money to fix the problems that I have on mine and B. Don’t have enough money to do what I want to it customizing wise (See my first post as to what I wanted to do to my current LS). I’d rather have an LS platform that has most of the things to start off with and go from there.:)

the 03+ (06 not included) extended the factory warranty on the coil and valve cover gaskets, because they leak oil into the plug wells and short out the coils, its one of the more common problems we deal with, not sure if the pre 03 have the exact same problem or if its just a coincidence that they burn coils up too.

the 03+ (06 not included) extended the factory warranty on the coil and valve cover gaskets, because they leak oil into the plug wells and short out the coils, its one of the more common problems we deal with, not sure if the pre 03 have the exact same problem or if its just a coincidence that they burn coils up too.

Why is the 06 not included? Did they nip it in the bud so to speak?

Not sure of they fixed it for 06. But as far as I know I have not had any misfires with mine. By the time I had 60K on my 02 it needed coils and gaskets. I just turned 64K on mine and no coil problems.
The only real complaint I have about the 06 is if you are slowing down and then punch it the tranny doesn't immediately drop a gear or two. It takes a second for the car to realize what you want it to do. So the revs are a little higher when it switches gears and that makes the downshift a little harsh as times. I believe this has to do with the PCM and electronic throttle. With a flash people say that it doesn't really do that.

I read somewhere 06's were not included because this was in like 06 or 07 and all of the 06's were still under factory warranty.

The 03 has extended warranty for coils and valve cover gaskets.

The 04 and 05 have extended warranty only for coils.

The 06 still has trouble with coil failures.

The 00 to 02 have problems with both valve cover gaskets and coils.

Please note that it is suspected that oil or water on the coils will cause failure.
It is known that epoxy problems internal to the coils do cause failure, it is mostly just a question of time and the number of hot/cold cycles.

Not sure of they fixed it for 06. But as far as I know I have not had any misfires with mine. By the time I had 60K on my 02 it needed coils and gaskets. I just turned 64K on mine and no coil problems.
The only real complaint I have about the 06 is if you are slowing down and then punch it the tranny doesn't immediately drop a gear or two. It takes a second for the car to realize what you want it to do. So the revs are a little higher when it switches gears and that makes the downshift a little harsh as times. I believe this has to do with the PCM and electronic throttle. With a flash people say that it doesn't really do that.

That's great because I already have a Xcal 3 SCT! I hope Torrie can make me a file that takes care of this as well as the whole getting into 1st gear. IF the 2nd Gen's have this problem?:confused:

That's great because I already have a Xcal 3 SCT! I hope Torrie can make me a file that takes care of this as well as the whole getting into 1st gear. IF the 2nd Gen's have this problem?:confused:

Gen II LS's start in 1st gear already.

Yeah, going from my 02 to the 06 I put it in SST and saw the 1 and thought maybe someone flashed it already... Kinda funny 'cause at the time I didn't know about the 1st gear being available in the 2nd gens stock!

Yeah, going from my 02 to the 06 I put it in SST and saw the 1 and thought maybe someone flashed it already... Kinda funny 'cause at the time I didn't know about the 1st gear being available in the 2nd gens stock!

How bad is the 'lag' from the throttle by PCM? Having an 02 to an 06 you know the 02 goes (if you want to call it 'goes';) ) when you hit the gas can you compair how bad it is from one to the other?

Well forgive me for being a rookie here, I don't know terribly much about these cars except for what I've gathered from this message board. I'm interested to know though, I've got the '04 LS V8, and although I'm not having any problems coil-wise, how many years and what mileage does the extended warranty cover the coils for?

I've already got 66,000 miles on the clock. About the only problem I can foresee down the road are the tranny solenoids. Definitely reminiscent of a valvebody issue I had with my truck several years ago. After I found out these trannies have solenoid issues, I was thankful it wasn't a more serious problem -- solenoids are relatively easy all said and done, just a little pricey and time consuming.

Anyway, back to my question, how many years and what mileage does the extended warranty cover the coils for?

Use the warranty!!!! I found out about it a few miles too late. Had to pay out of pocket when 4 of mine failed.

In SST there is really no lag that I can tell. It is just in D4 or D5. Test drive one to see. With the whole "engine learning your driving habits thing" the previous owner might have trained the engine differently. For my car the lag is noticeable, but I don't have a tune yet and from what I understand the tune can make a big difference in the shifting/lag.
Anyone have a tune on a Gen II and want to chime in?

Members online

Back