TPS Help!

raido1980

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm testing my tps and am getting strange readings. When I back probe the plug I'm getting an initial reading of .4 volts. As I rotate the tps the voltage readings go into mv. If I rotate it all the way I max out at around 60 mv. I get this reading on two different sensors i've tried. Do I have the wrong sensor? I was told at napa that they have two different part numbers for this. One shaped like an "L" and the other one straight. I am at a complete loss and am looking for a second opinion.

Should start at .9-1v and ramp up to almost 5v.

You also want this one. Nothing L shaped.

299033-1.jpg

Right, that's what I was expecting to see. But Alas, I did not.

That's the one I got. Well I guess it's time for some harness continuity tests.

The replacement gives me the same readings. I must be doing something wrong. I got one probe hooked up to the gray wire with a white stripe, and the other is hooked to a brown wire with white stripe. I'm just not sure why my volts are going the wrong way.

If you have a new replacement, just put it in. I'm sure it comes with some kind of warranty and maybe you're reading the voltmeter wrong or it's on the wrong setting. If it's new, I would just put it in.

What was going on to cause you to buy a new TPS? Whatever it was could be IAC related or vacuum related, ect....

A bit of a missfire, low idle. I don't have the time right now to list all the parts I've replaced in the last year and a half. Including an iac and tps. The iac does raise rpms when cold or are put into gear. It just always settles at around 500 rpms. And if you put the a/c on forget about it. It has a crazy stumble to it when you first start it up and it's in open loop. Thanks for the input guys. Let the hunt continue!

A bit of a missfire, low idle. I don't have the time right now to list all the parts I've replaced in the last year and a half. Including an iac and tps. The iac does raise rpms when cold or are put into gear. It just always settles at around 500 rpms. And if you put the a/c on forget about it. It has a crazy stumble to it when you first start it up and it's in open loop. Thanks for the input guys. Let the hunt continue!

mine does that too! very annoying.

You are reading the wrong two wires. Keep touching two of them till you get a reading of .9-1v. Not sure which two as I forget what colors but eventually you will find the right combo. If none ever give a reading close to that then you have an issue in you harness somewhere.

Ill try again tomorrow. I checked the continuity in all three wires and they checked out.

I do have another question. I happened to take a look at the ignition control module while I was buttoning things up. My question is, am I supposed to be able to get movement out of the squared piece in the middle? It's the piece that has motorcraft embossed on it.

Ok thanks. I'm looking around but can't seem to find a description of what exactly it controls. I thought the PCM had total control of the ignition system.

I saw a price, but still wondering what functions it performs in exchange for my monies.

I saw a price, but still wondering what functions it performs in exchange for my monies.

Scroll down a little and it kinda explains it's functions and they can be bought much cheaper than that. It says

• Designed to perform under a wide range of temperatures
  • Helps ensure sure-fire starts in extreme cold weather
  • Helps ensure no premature firing, misfiring or shutdowns resulting from transient outside signals

Thanks but those are kind of generalized descriptions. I was looking for a more descriptive explanation. I can get that same explanation from most additives in the auto dept. at Wal-Mart. It was nice to see though what the cost would be for a new one.

Well then those are pretty good odds! I wouldn't want to replace that little guy with a new one.

Members online

Back