Time to complete Spark-plug change?

Mechanicboy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm going to replace the spark plugs on my 2001 V6 LS 5 speed and while I have the coolant drained and intake off i plan to change the thermostat, PCV(maybe the Tube too), Degas tank, and fuel filter. How long do you think this will take? Think I could do all of it in 5-6 hours? I've found tech manuals and writeup for everything but the thermostat so I'm fairly prepared.

Any additional advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

So nobody know how long this might take? How about just taking the intake off and changing the passenger side spark plugs?

I was charged 2.5 hours labor for removal of my intake, install new plugs and coils. The fuel filter was 1 hour labor plus part. I will be changing the degas bottle and T-Stat this spring along with a flush and fill. You are doing the right thing by changing these parts now before they become a problem. I woukd also suggest you change the pwr str, brk and trans fluid as the steering wheel will start to be noisy and the trans will shift rough. Just spent $800 on having the water pump, belt tensr.and bleeder hose replaced at 74K. Will be relacing the windsheild at a cost of $359 next month. Im slowly restoring an 04. Good Luck

You are doing the right thing by changing these parts now before they become a problem. I woukd also suggest you change the pwr str, brk and trans fluid as the steering wheel will start to be noisy and the trans will shift rough. Im slowly restoring an 04. Good Luck

Well actually I think they kind of are a problem. I just don't feel like bothering you guys with posts about problems I'm having until I've finished my tune-up and see if that solves any of my problems.

So far I've replaced the battery with the proper battery, the one in there didn't have a breather tube. I replaced the tires with the proper size. They were 235/55R17. The rears were pretty trashed anyway and now they all match with 235/50R17. I have the KKM Intake and cleaned that. I pulled one spark plug from the drivers side and it was so worn(wasn't too dirty though, not oil fouled) so I changed the drivers side while I was in there. And I've changed the engine oil. I was about to change the tranny oil(remember I have the 5 speed manual) but remembered that I don't Have anyway to put the new fluid in.

I know my degas tank is leaking, not too bad yet and I've not overheated yet. I have a high idle when hot It never goes below 1050 rpm. But the Idle air controller will rev the engine just fine so I think it might just be dirty. I also sometimes will experience what fills like a misfire or maybe detonation when I floor it at lower rpm speeds, say ~3000 rpm and below. I have a new fuel filter and have new spark plugs for the passenger side that I might be putting in today. My drive line has play in it and I need to determine if it's normal or if my diff in going out.

I also have a new PCV valve, 180 degrees thermostat. Mercon V fluid for the tranny, PS, and PF. New synthetic diff oil.

I still need to get a degas tank. Trying to find the best value and can't decide if I should get the tank with new hoses or not.

Edit: My airbag like is also on, I'm hoping I can scan that with my XCal 2. I also have a bump on the passenger side when going over bumps that I think is a sway bar bushing because the end links look good and the ball joints look good.

Last edited:
I think someone posted that the degas install was easier if hose was attached because its a tight spot and diff. to reinstall hose once bottle was in place. Good Luck

I'm going to replace the spark plugs on my 2001 V6 LS 5 speed and while I have the coolant drained and intake off i plan to change the thermostat, PCV(maybe the Tube too), Degas tank, and fuel filter. How long do you think this will take? Think I could do all of it in 5-6 hours? I've found tech manuals and writeup for everything but the thermostat so I'm fairly prepared.

Thanks!

My best time on the plugs is 3 hours. The first time took around 5 hours. There's a lot of stuff involved in removing the upper intake. Tp replace the PCV elbow the lower intake needs to be removed. IMHO, unless you're a professional mechanic this will take a day, if not a day and a half. It's not really difficult, just time consuming.

right - the hose coming out the bottom of the tank is coupled to another hose about midway under the cowl. so it is much easier to undo the coupling and pull the tank out with the hose attached, move the hose to the new tank and then feed it back, then recouple it.

My best time on the plugs is 3 hours. The first time took around 5 hours. There's a lot of stuff involved in removing the upper intake. Tp replace the PCV elbow the lower intake needs to be removed. IMHO, unless you're a professional mechanic this will take a day, if not a day and a half. It's not really difficult, just time consuming.

CRAP! I wish I had read your post before I left to do this. Well I did this in about 3 1/2 hrs. BUT, I didn't replace the PVC hose because I COULDN'T find it! I followed the hose and it disappeared under the fuel injectors. It was almost dark when I got the plugs in and had had a few margaritas at lunch from this mexican restaurant and between the two I said F*** this, I'm not going there and didn't have a cheat sheet for taking the lower intake off. If I had read your post I'd either put this off to another day or have left the intake apart and finished it tomorrow.

Well anyway. If I did it again I bet I could shave an hour off my time, not including the PCV valve. How much more work is it to change the PCV valve?

Thanks!

Just saw your post. I ahve the same car, (2000) and it took me about 5 - 6 hours. That was changing the PVC hose too and it was the first time I had town the top side of the car down so I was being careful.

I am getting ready to do this tomorrow. Can you send me the info on doing the VCG's?

what's VCG?

Here's a very useful guide to get the upper intake plenum off.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/IntakeManifoldV6/

If you have never taken the air cleaner intake tube off then this could help too.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/AirCleanerOutletPipeV6/

If you need anything else go to the Tech Articles section of this forum, it's to the right of the search function.

Sorry, Valve Cover Gaskets.

Oh, well once you have everything off to replace the spark plugs you're only a handfull of bolts away from having the valve covers off.

You can find everything you need in the Tech Articles, although the guide the that valve cover gaskets is for the V8. You'll need to to take the Air cleaner intake tueb off, the upper intake off, Take the COPs off then you can take the valve covers off. Everything will be metric as far as tools go.

Oh and don't worry about using abbreviation, I'm just never up to snuff on those things. I'm only 23, but still it's so hard to keep up with all those.

Damn, I forgot that I didn't have to drain my coolant because Of my degas tank leaking that it was already low enough that there was no spillage.

No, I didn't use any silicone, but I did use Anti-seize on the spark-plug threads.

You were almost there with the upper intake off. Add an hour or two to the total job, less if you buy new intake gaskets. I usually clean mine, they clean up to new condition but it takes time and elbow grease. And a handsome amount of solvents. That PCV hose can make a V6 run poorly and for $25 it is cheap insurance if you are already drilling down that far to change the plugs. Did you take your cowl cover off along with the shock tower brace? I'm just wondering how they come off in California. Up in the NE area, the bolts break a lot. Good luck.

You were almost there with the upper intake off. Add an hour or two to the total job, less if you buy new intake gaskets. I usually clean mine, they clean up to new condition but it takes time and elbow grease. And a handsome amount of solvents. That PCV hose can make a V6 run poorly and for $25 it is cheap insurance if you are already drilling down that far to change the plugs. Did you take your cowl cover off along with the shock tower brace? I'm just wondering how they come off in California. Up in the NE area, the bolts break a lot. Good luck.

Mine came off without breaking, but then two bolts on each sides for the strut towers where a little tuff because I was using a small gear ratchet.
Just for so background, My car started out life in NY for 2 years, then California for 4 years, then Nevada for 1 year and now I have it back in CA.

Why would you need to drain the coolant? Just don't un-hook the lines. Or is this not possible?

It might be possible, but It would be tight because there isn't much extra length on the coolant hoses. Even If you lose some coolant it won't be much.

Hi Milehighmikey
I was wondering where you got the PCV hose for $25. I was quoted $70. Mines a Gen 2 V6 if that counts. Seems a little high ($70) for a plastic hose.
Good Luck

I have a question, why the heck do we have a PCV and breathers on the valve covers that goes to the intake tube?

you have to vent off any excess pressure build up - in the old days this was done by adding a little filter to the hole in the valve cover. However, modern cars have to comply with the emission laws - meaning you have to re-direct the vented gases back into the intake to be re-burned.

you have to vent off any excess pressure build up - in the old days this was done by adding a little filter to the hole in the valve cover. However, modern cars have to comply with the emission laws - meaning you have to re-direct the vented gases back into the intake to be re-burned.

Ok, then my new question is is the vents on the valve covers good enough to let the engine breath? I'm not concerned about emissions compliance.

Well any I changed the fuel filter, and I'm pretty sure that the last filter was on the wrong way. The arrow on the filter was facing toward the outside of the car, away from the engine. The filter should be on the smaller line and the arrow should face the engine right? To help, the small fuel line should be the pressure side, and the larger fuel line should be the return right? If I'm wrong then I need to replace my filter again :p

I have a V6 and trying to get the lower intake off, did any one figure out how to unhook the wire harness that goes out the back. Its tight back by the firewall and I can't see how to get it off, it does have a red tab that pulls up.. but can get it off. Any help would be great... I can see the PCV valve and just need more room to get to it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back