THX navigation to aftermarket

Pictures of the camera install?

Also, I didn't see it anywhere in the diagrams; Did you use the speed pulse signal for the JVC. If so, where did you get the signal from?

Tony

Pictures of the camera install?

Also, I didn't see it anywhere in the diagrams; Did you use the speed pulse signal for the JVC. If so, where did you get the signal from?

Tony

Post # 1: "Next, I connected the VSS signal (pin 14) to pin 8, because the "Video Red" signal runs all the way back up front to where the JVC is."

Backup camera

Picture 124.jpg

Post # 1: "Next, I connected the VSS signal (pin 14) to pin 8, because the "Video Red" signal runs all the way back up front to where the JVC is."

So you're saying the speed signal is in the back? Weird place for it. So you used pin 9 to get the signal up front for the head unit. OK I get it.

Thanks

Tony

So you're saying the speed signal is in the back? Weird place for it. So you used pin 9 to get the signal up front for the head unit. OK I get it.

Thanks

Tony

Not really a weird place for it. The GPS receiver is in the trunk. It's actually the part that generates all the video displayed on the factory screen. The part in the dash just has the CD changer, the radio tuners, and the audio path switching. The intelligence is all in the box in the trunk.

Question for you; Are you triggering both amps with the same remote out signal from the JVC? I'm putting in the kw-nt300 and it only has one remote out. Are you tying both 2.2k reisitors to that and then on to the amp triggers?

Thanks.

Tony

Question for you; Are you triggering both amps with the same remote out signal from the JVC? I'm putting in the kw-nt300 and it only has one remote out. Are you tying both 2.2k reisitors to that and then on to the amp triggers?

Thanks.

Tony

Yes.

Thanks for all of your help so far. I have a question for you. For the rear view camera; The lamp seems to be negatively triggered (think that is the term...both leads to the reverse lamp are +12v until in reverse, and then one goes gnd to light the bulb). How are you wiring the relay to power the camera and send the +12v to reverse trigger on the radio? l currently have a relay that is connected to a switched source and the reverse signal (+12v when not in reverse, gnd when in reverse). problem is that when the power is cut from the car the relay gets powered because the switched source goes to ground. How are you wiring this?

Tony

I have the coil of the relay connected across the two wires that go to the backup light.

Joe, I got my JVC KW500 unit installed, enjoying the heck out of it.

I first got it from Crutchfield, as a refurb, for $440. That unit died a day and a half after install. Second unit came from Amazon, fulfilled by them but supplied by an independent dealer, for $608. Best Buy swapped out the head units for free. Total install cost was $425 with tax. That's a lot of money, but I could never have done all that by myself and they spent hours on this thing. I went back once because the tail lights were stuck on. That was due to the cheapo camera feeding back voltage due to the way it was wired. They soldered in a diode to fix that. Then the head unit died and I had to get the return authorization from Crutchfield and live without any stereo for a week and a half while waiting on the new one and then waiting for my appointment.

So what did I get for my $425 install money?
front and rear speakers swapped out, $75 each
gps antenna with hidden install under dash/firewall area
blue tooth mic mounted (so cool using this to make phone calls!)
camera wired/installed i think that was $80
head unit installed twice! i forget the breakdowns, could have been $110 for this
steering wheel controls mated to new module - $80? i forget.
ensuring that there was no safety defeat installed - free with verbal request. I know it was said that the LS doesn't have that wire to hook up to for the safety defeat, but Best Buy is supposed to install that, so he said he could rig something to do that, I was like Oh no! please don't, just leave it as is. So I did get the ability to watch movies, make nav updates, whatever, when driving.

Anyway, everything definitely had a cost to it, the blue tooth mic, the gps antenna, all of it. And for me, it was all very much worth it, because I would have taken 6 weeks to do this job and probably done half of it wrong.

Joe and 1LoudLS, your pointers in this thread were invaluable. And any others I forgot to mention, thanks!

0306141745.jpg

0306141745.jpg

Congrats. Yes, bluetooth phone in the car takes you to executive levels. Like a boss!

sucks you had to get a second one.. glad your enjoying it!

Joe:

question about how the backup sensor system works in this car.

is there a separate module with its own speaker? so that replacing the radio has no effect on it and it still works as it originally did? I know this is how most cars are, but i have seen a couple where its tied into the audio system, and come out through the speakers after it mutes the radio.

Joe:

question about how the backup sensor system works in this car.

is there a separate module with its own speaker? so that replacing the radio has no effect on it and it still works as it originally did? I know this is how most cars are, but i have seen a couple where its tied into the audio system, and come out through the speakers after it mutes the radio.

Yes, there's a separate module in the back with its own speaker. Changing out the radio had no affect on the rear park assist.

Hello joegr. I have this same thx system and i want to put in an aftermarket radio. Can you explain in detail how to connect the oem parts so i can keep my factory amps and factory 6x9. I have the wire harness that has the square connector with the 2 rca cables but i dont know where it goes, please help. I tried to take it to best buy and they said they had to bypass the amp and i woukd lose my speakers

Hello joegr. I have this same thx system and i want to put in an aftermarket radio. Can you explain in detail how to connect the oem parts so i can keep my factory amps and factory 6x9. I have the wire harness that has the square connector with the 2 rca cables but i dont know where it goes, please help. I tried to take it to best buy and they said they had to bypass the amp and i woukd lose my speakers

You are not going to be able to buy any harness adapters to do this. You will have to do the wiring as I showed in this post. It's all there. I wish I could give cut and dry exact instructions, but that would take more time than I have right now. There is enough detail here for someone with some understanding of wiring and wiring diagrams to be able to do the conversion. Soldering is required.

worse case scenario, have the guys at BBY go over this thread to see what they need to do to integrate the amps. if they can't follow those directions, then I'm sorry, you have one of the bad Best Buy's... sorry you'll probably need to find a new shop

Stevinator, you put a lot of work into that writeup, and I'm sure that many will appreciate it.

I would like to offer a correction on pages 13 and 14. That's not the factory microphone. The factory microphone is in the rear-view mirror. If you look closely at it, you'll see the holes for it. The location you identified, is the inside air temperature sensor for the climate control. The big hose attached to it is there to such a small amount of air in all the time so that the temperature sensor gets an accurate temperature reading. Personally, I wouldn't put a microphone or anything else there out of concern that it might mess up the airflow.

Ah shoot. Well I've been talking into it for years now. LOL. What a dumbass. I'll find another spot for it and update the doc. I was hoping to avoid any removal of A pillars as the plastic is so darn fragile at this age. Oh well

Wow. Stellar write-up. I will forward it in the future to the goofballs on the FB page that are always asking what harness to buy for THX.

that is a great write up, that should help quite a few people out!

also just incase anybody is wondering, metra does make a silver version of the dash kit to match 2nd gens dash color.

Members online

Back