Thinking about getting another 8... (Sorry for the novel!)

98lincmk7lsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
....except this one will be a G8 GT (Pontiac). :D

2009_Pontiac_G8_GT_main.jpg

So. I've got a wife and a 13 month-old kid. My daughter hasn't ever been in either of my Mark VIII's in her entire 13 month life span. My wife hasn't ridden in either of my Mark VIII's in at least 2 years. In the last 5 years, I could probably count on one hand, how many times she has ridden in either of them. She drives the truck (4-door Toyota Tacoma, bought it for her new in 2004) whenever she needs to go anywhere, and that's where the baby seat fits best. Since the baby seat actually fits in the truck (haven't even wanted to TRY fitting it in one of the Marks! lol.) that's the vehicle we drive EVERYWHERE.

Anyway, as the kid gets older, and bigger, it's starting to suck to get her into and out of the truck (off-road suspension, and small back seat) all of the time. It would be nice to have something else to switch off to every once in a while.

That's where the G8 comes in. My 97 wasn't treated very nicely before I bought it. It still runs well, and gets the job done, but that's all it does for me. Whenever I don't drive the 98 for long periods of time, only the 97, I find myself wondering why I like Mark VIII's so much. The driver seat foam is sad, the leather is all hard, it's got some paint that's pealing, etc... It doesn't feel like a Lincoln to me anymore. More like a Thunderbird or something. That always changes as soon as I get into the 98, but the 97 just doesn't do anything for me.

Anyway, I've been thinking of replacing it with something newer that I don't have to worry about so much. The 97 has been fairly dependable for me, but I'm always worried about something randomly breaking or whatnot...

My first thought was "new Mustang!" but my wife shot that down pretty quickly. lol. She reminded me that 4 doors would be much better, AND I'd still have my 98....

So, I sat down and tried to think of any 4-door cars that I wouldn't mind driving 65 miles round-trip to work every day. Not very easy:
New Taurus - would have to be an SHO - too expensive
Charger - would have to be an R/T, but I'm not a big fan of Dodge
Cadillac CTS - would have to be CTS-V, of course, lol - TOO expensive
Lincoln LS - too gay....j/k, I just don't really like them

I couldn't think of anything else I'd like to have, until one day as I was riding with my friend in his Corvette (awesome car btw...), we got behind a GTO and started talking about them. Something came up about wishing they had a 4-door version when BAM! it hit me:

Pontiac G8 GT

I spent a good portion of my work day that day looking them up and reading reviews on them. They seem to be a pretty solid car. Most of the reviews seemed very similar to what I would imagine our reviews of Mark VIII's would be. Most people were upset that GM got rid of them after only years, and many wished that they had bought 2 of them, and "If you can find one, BUY IT!" I read pages and pages of 4 1/2 to 5 star reviews and only saw 3 unfavorable ones. I also spent a little bit time on a couple G8 forums and didn't see anything to steer me away from them there either.

So, do any of you guys know anyone that has one, or have any of you driven one? What was your experience like with it? For those of you that know someone with one, what do they think of it?

Top Gear Australia LOVE that a Holden basically made it to the US...

I've heard nothing but great things about these cars and I would love to own one but as of now they are holding their values just a little too well :)

A kid that graduated from my school 3 years ago has a G8 GT, its a nice looking car, i'd love to have one. He never really talked about it, but they got a lot of balls let me tell you. I was with my sisters boyfriend, he was driving his 06 mustang and a G8 GT pulls up next to us, were crusing down the ave at like 35, the G8 floors it and smokes the tires :O all i know from personal experience is that they're fast, and pretty roomy on the inside

Top Gear Australia LOVE that a Holden basically made it to the US...

I've heard nothing but great things about these cars and I would love to own one but as of now they are holding their values just a little too well :)

Yeah, looks like I'll be spending somewhere in the $22-25k range on one with low-ish miles. I'm telling you, it's pretty hard to find anything bad about them...

A kid that graduated from my school 3 years ago has a G8 GT, its a nice looking car, i'd love to have one. He never really talked about it, but they got a lot of balls let me tell you. I was with my sisters boyfriend, he was driving his 06 mustang and a G8 GT pulls up next to us, were crusing down the ave at like 35, the G8 floors it and smokes the tires :O all i know from personal experience is that they're fast, and pretty roomy on the inside

What more could you ask for in a "family" car?!? :D

I would love one, but would get the firehawk . They are sweet looking rides

The guys I met who have them love them to death.
Go drive one you will want it.

I've never seen a G8 I didn't like:) I'm not a GM fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd drive the holy heck outta the G8! Those cars are just plain tough! I can't believe GM let the car die with Pontiac. How hard would it have been to tweak the front and rear facias a bit, put a bowtie emblem in the grill and call it an Impala????? That way they could still be bringing them over here from Oz. If you can find one, jump on it. I'd love to have one myself. Now if Ford would just give us the Falcon from the Land Down Under, all would be right with the world.

Edit:

2012 Impala.JPG:D

2012 Impala.JPG

I too like the G8 and will most likely replace my Mark one day with a similar 04-06 GTO, BUT, if you want the ultimate family 4-door american muscle car, you gotta at least try and find a STS-V. :)

Here's one.........
http://odessa.craigslist.org/cto/2995602451.html

They are super rare, most people don't even know about them, and they have all the power and room you'll need.

You should also be able to find a slightly older cts-v in your price range??

you ever think of looking at a 2008 mercedes E63 AMG ? 4 door "family sedan
4-Door Rear Wheel Drive Car, 507 bhp, 465 lb-ft, 7-sp Automatic, 12/19 mpg

5 passengers, 4025 lb, 6.3-liter, 8-cylinder engine, 8.0 lb/bhp

:O

Well...19mpg ain't bad for that size car. I'm sure it would be better if you keep your foot out of the carpet (assuming that's even possible with 507hp:D).

I'm also not made of money... :(

1. Much more than I could spend on a car

2. More money spent on gas too...

You won't be having any shortage of low-end torque with the G8 like the 4-valve. For reference, I saw my buddy run a 13.3 with catback, CAI, and tune. It was 80 degrees that run and the DA was horrible. ;) Oh, and just some silly 3.45 gears LOL

Members online

Back