The Mark VIII goes to Europe

micahs97m8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Some of you may remember my excited post last year when I got orders to TX, only to get them cancelled. :mad:

This year brings much better news!! I'm going to England!!:eek:

I get to take one car, and i'm seriously considering taking the Mark. It should be a blast to drive over there, and will most likely be the only one around. :headbang:

It will, however, need a lot of work done this Spring and Summer.

I thought I should let you guys in on this huge chapter in my life. Lots of awesome pictures in the future. :cool:

Yep! extended-long. :D

The other option is to take a classic, and sell it for substantially more. :shifty:

You won't be the only one there, Andy Fanshaw has one.

I thought I remembered hearing that. We'll have to have a European meet. :cool:

The Mark VIII will be my main toy. There will be lots of new and interesting cars bought and sold. I tend to have 3-7 cars at a time........

How much does it cost to have your car shipped there? You could take a classic, sell it for a profit and than have your Mark VIII shipped by yourself.

Some of you may remember my excited post last year when I got orders to TX, only to get them cancelled. :mad:

I get to take one car, and i'm seriously considering taking the Mark. It should be a blast to drive over there, and will most likely be the only one around. :headbang:

I thought I should let you guys in on this huge chapter in my life. Lots of awesome pictures in the future. :cool:

Have you been to Mildenhall?

I was actually born close to there. It's been a long time, though.

As far as shipping goes, the first one ships free. Additional cars cost an arm and a leg. If I ship something other than the mark, the mark will be sold. :(

Mariusz is over in Poland and he has 3 Lincolns that I know of. Two 2nd Gen Mark8s and an 80s model Town Car limousine. :D And mind you, he is a die-hard. He was just married this last year and his honeymoon consisted of him and his wife visiting the US and picking up a Gen2 Mark8 in Texas and shipping it back on a container to Poland. There is a few enthusiasts out there. :D

Dereck is another. He is over at Burnham by the Sea(sp???) He has a Town Car, Expedition, and a Marauder if I recall correctly. He is a super smart dude with his own shop out there and provides endless amounts of useful information over on the LOL forum.

Best of luck in your adventures Micah. :)

So... does this mean that fellow Mark VIII enthusiasts might possibly be able to pester you for a night or two???? I've been dying to get back to England, most especially for opportunities at BBC North.

Please take your Mark. That would be AWESOME!!! Cheers! - Laurie

I was actually born close to there. It's been a long time, though.

As far as shipping goes, the first one ships free. Additional cars cost an arm and a leg. If I ship something other than the mark, the mark will be sold. :(

I spent 3 years in the UK..about 3 years ago.
Do as much research as you can on housing and what car you will take. If you plan on selling a car over there and it doesn't come through a traditional customs port you may never be able to sell to anyone off base.
I don't know your rank or if you have kids but I do know that mid 2012 they had all e1-e6 with children move into base housing. If you didn't you forfeited your OHA, they have 11 housing area between the tri-base area.
Some are new.. some really old. Lords walk is one of the housing areas that is "base housing" but off base and not gated. Not the best area.
That's about the worst of it though, you will have a blast. Take the opportunity to travel and see as much as you can, you can get pretty cheap flights to just about anywhere in the EU.
One word of advice, don't be the stereotypical loud American..lol you will enjoy yourself a lot more if you're not that guy.:D

You won't be the only one there, Andy Fanshaw has one.

You mean the '97 white base? Unfortunately he just sold it to some guy in London. I was down there to see the car, probably one of the best Mark VIIIs you could buy in Europe. I wanted a first gen tho, so I bought the '95 LSC from a guy he knew living down the road. That was pretty awesome of him, he even showed me where he lives and helped me getting some info about the car! Incredible guy.

@micahs97m8: Yeah, bring it over here, we can never have enough of them. :D If you want to make money of a car selling it here, Id recommend to buy a cheap LT1 Impala SS or Roadmaster Wagon and ship it though. You can get insane money for a 3000$ Roadmaster in Germany, more than enough to justify the shipping costs.

If you can get a a cheap but nice LT1 Roadmaster sedan or a first gen Olds Aurora with Autobahn package I might actually buy it from you myself :D

I agree with Schaefft.
There are cars you can earn money on here. Chevy's are a few of them. Here in Sweden chevys are worth a lot more than Fords.
Or you could buy a brand new Camaro, ship it over, use it and sell it for more than what you've paid for it years earlier.

The Used Car Dealership I work with is selling tons of cars to Sweden. Mostly big 4 door Impala's from the late 60's but a lot of MOPARS from the early 60's now too.

Doesn't suprise me at all mate. The american car culture is extremely big here in Sweden.

Yeah, doesn't matter to anyone driving these cars though :D Otherwise Id buy a freaking Polo ****box.

Btw, some might know Cereal Marshmallows from youtube. He seems to sell old american cars and Mercedes especially to Europe all the time. If you can get a car to Europe for free Id used the chance and get something you can sell here for a lot more money than you paid for. The UK used car market is kinda ****ed up though, Id recommend the Netherlands, Germany and Sweden it seems. :D

Wow. So many new responses! Let me see if I can reply to them all. lol.

@Kirk. It looks like a few people have come out of the woodwork. This could be a lot of fun. Thanks for the well-wishes.

@Laurie. Let me get settled and we'll go from there. I here the houses in England are smaller than here. I'm already living in 1000sf. I can't go much smaller. lol.

@97markJA. I'll definitely look into this housing situation. I want to take the Mark, but not sure. I only get one car. :( I'm a quiet American. Hoping that keeps me under the radar......

@Schaefft. Should I bring one of these cars INSTEAD of the Mark, or are you saying I should pay to ship one over WITH the Mark? I love the old Roadmasters and Impalas. What is the going rate for one with about 100k miles?

@I can't afford a new Camaro. I work for our military. It's why I drive 10-20 year old cars. :p

@Kirk. It looks like a few people have come out of the woodwork. This could be a lot of fun. Thanks for the well-wishes.

@Laurie. Let me get settled and we'll go from there. I here the houses in England are smaller than here. I'm already living in 1000sf. I can't go much smaller. lol.

@97markJA. I'll definitely look into this housing situation. I want to take the Mark, but not sure. I only get one car. :( I'm a quiet American. Hoping that keeps me under the radar......

@Schaefft. Should I bring one of these cars INSTEAD of the Mark, or are you saying I should pay to ship one over WITH the Mark? I love the old Roadmasters and Impalas. What is the going rate for one with about 100k miles?

@I can't afford a new Camaro. I work for our military. It's why I drive 10-20 year old cars. :p

I work for our military and I own a 2004 KB Mustang Cobra and a 2004 Dodge Viper. How much you want to bet that you outrank me?

OK. Let me clarify. I support a family on active enlisted military pay and don't like car payments. The bank would laugh at me if I tried to buy a Viper. Demoman defies logic or deploys alot. lol.

Well, that really depends on how much you would have to pay to get a second car over here. Roadmaster Woody wagons and Impala SS are extremely rare but the market is definitely there because of that. The question is, could you make even more money with another even cheaper car. Im pretty sure there are still tons of cheap 60s and 70s detroit 4-door sedans or wagons out there, those might be cheaper to buy than a '96 Impala SS and you'd get the same money for it.

Theres a 1993 non-LT1 Roadmaster Wagon with 233k km (I guess, that would be about 150k miles) for sale right now on mobile.de. They want 7980 Euros for it, that would be over 10200$. Im pretty sure you can find a very nice example with the right engine for less than half of that and since you dont have to pay for shipping there can be a nice profit. '94-96 Impala SS usually go for 10000+ Euros, those should be a bit harder to find in good condition for that price though, especially the '96 in black with floor shifter.

But seriously, don't take over a Ford. If you want to sell it for as much as possible here in europe you should take over a Chevy. That is the reality here in Europe. We're so infested by all these **** cars like Mondeo, Fiesta, Focus (I call them Fikus which in Swedish means ***got) and so on and it probably brings quite a bad rep over Fords.
Impalas goes for crazy much here in Europe just like Schaefft says. Bring over an Impala SS and you're good to go.
GMC Syclones are CRAZY priced here. They go for atleast around $20k here in Sweden. Typhoons are more common and you can get one for about $10-15k.
A 03-04 Cobra is atleast 25-30k (for a bone stock one).

Members online

No members online now.
Back