The Guessing Game

stone17

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got this part in today.

What is it?

IMAGE_227.jpg

I know what is it.

Why is a "Poly" mount better than a solid, or what is the difference?

I'm not an expert but I would think (logical as I can get) poly would allow for more Vibration dampining.. less shake in the car!
Anyone else want to chime in? I would then have to reason that the solids are for hard horsepower applications less give and less chance of breaking the mount..

Geez I love these minor issues! :)

Solids is FREE if you have flat stock steel and a welder. If not most places will do it for $50.00 and is ROCK solid, no need for poly what so ever except to lighten your wallet. I have total solid welded drivers mount and EVERYone who drives in it says "I thought it would vibrate more"

I'm not an expert but I would think (logical as I can get) poly would allow for more Vibration dampining.. less shake in the car!
Anyone else want to chime in? I would then have to reason that the solids are for hard horsepower applications less give and less chance of breaking the mount..

Geez I love these minor issues! :)

This one I actually know about. Poly engine and tranny mounts are used to cause less movement in your engine/transmission under hard acceleration. This in turn is supposed to help your car put the power to the pavement better. It's also better for your drivetrain as it's not moving as much.

The downside is it actually makes the rest of your car shake more. I put a poly-tranny mount in my focus and although I definitely noticed the difference on the launch (because it was fwd), it also made the steering wheel and whole car shake.

Performance wise it was worth it, daily driver wise it wasn't.

Members online

No members online now.
Back