The fuzz ain't playin no more

stang99x

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The local PD used some drug seizure money to get a new toy, and they went all out

challengerside.gif

Side
challenger.gif

Grill lights
challengertoplights.gif

Winshield lights
challengerrear.gif

Rear end

I took these with my Iphone which isn't hte fastest camera in the world so I couldn't get all the lights on at once, but it has strobes in the headlights as well. This is their official, "chase" car:eek:

Meh.

They should have not dipped into the drugs and sold ALL of the seized drugs. Then buy an SR/T 8. That is a heavy car, and the wheezy 372? HP the R/T engine is putting out, isn't going to get it going very fast. What do they chase down there? Mopeds? LOL

what part excatly is a waste? The fact that down south, we don't have LA sytle chases cause we own the bastards that run? I think its great, good for PR, bought with seized funds, and with their discounts it was 32k, not much more than a charger or vic

A single car like that is as much about catching bad guys as showing off to the kids at the middle school on career day.

No need to get your britches in a knot, stang. Not everyone thinks the Challenger is a hot car. It's not something that everyone is clamoring over to get. With that said, I'm sure it's a fine car and all.

As far as using it for patrol purposes? Well, let's examine:

1. It's a 2 door car. Where' you gonna put a cage in it for even one prisoner? Though, to be fair, most chase cars don't have 4 doors.

2. Ok, it's supposed to be a "chase" car. No offense, many cars will outrun it. Granted, no car can beat a Motorola, but a Challenger R/T is not exactly "chase car" material.

3. Is this Challenger equipped with heavy duty, law enforcement supporting equipment? You know, bigger radiators to keep the motor cool when "chasing" someone? Higher amp output alternator to keep all the cop electronics working well? Tires? Stock? Or are they rated for higher speeds? Has the top speed governor been removed? You see where I'm going with all these questions.

You own the bastards that run? I don't get it...

Look, if the cop shop bought it for PR... that's great. Nothing wrong with that. Seriously. But calling it a "chase car"? Really?

they should just have mustangs..at least they ain't gonna die in the recession

both the Chargers and Challengers are going bye bye sucka pig!

No need to get your britches in a knot, stang. Not everyone thinks the Challenger is a hot car. It's not something that everyone is clamoring over to get. With that said, I'm sure it's a fine car and all.

1. It's a 2 door car. Where' you gonna put a cage in it for even one prisoner? Though, to be fair, most chase cars don't have 4 doors.

2. Ok, it's supposed to be a "chase" car. No offense, many cars will outrun it. Granted, no car can beat a Motorola, but a Challenger R/T is not exactly "chase car" material.

3. Is this Challenger equipped with heavy duty, law enforcement supporting equipment? You know, bigger radiators to keep the motor cool when "chasing" someone? Higher amp output alternator to keep all the cop electronics working well? Tires? Stock? Or are they rated for higher speeds? Has the top speed governor been removed? You see where I'm going with all these questions.

Look, if the cop shop bought it for PR... that's great. Nothing wrong with that. Seriously. But calling it a "chase car"? Really?

+1 frogman...I love your thinking :-D

The local Sheriff Dept here seized a Charger from drug activity about 3 months ago. I think they are still working to get it made into a patrol car. You can't beat a free car.

Meh.

They should have not dipped into the drugs and sold ALL of the seized drugs. Then buy an SR/T 8. That is a heavy car, and the wheezy 372? HP the R/T engine is putting out, isn't going to get it going very fast. What do they chase down there? Mopeds? LOL

What kinda car would you wanna see? My dad talks to a cop who drives a converted 03 cobra that came with plenty of mods on it over in Camden. I think it's a squad car. I've driven a stock one but those things can move.

The cobras are decent cars. Few grand in mods, and they can REALLY move. As far as what I'd want to see for what? A chase car? I don't know. What's my budget?

My point was, the Challenger in the picture, while I'm sure a fine car, is not going to be the best choice for a chase car. Sorry.

Isn't there a start-up company that is working to design a "pure" police car. A ground up new car that is designed to only serve law enforcement fleet use? I can't think of the company name though.

Isn't there a start-up company that is working to design a "pure" police car. A ground up new car that is designed to only serve law enforcement fleet use? I can't think of the company name though.
I heard about it, too; they're supposed to be to law enforcement what the old Checker was to taxis. I did a quick search of the Google, but all I could find (that looked at all relevant) was an article from '07 about a "new Checker" that was going to specialize in fleet/livery sales.

http://www.carbonmotors.com/

You're thinking of Carbon Motors, Cal. It's really a brilliant idea on the company's part.

That thing's PR. Calling it a chase car when it really isn't is, well, semantics. However, I would like to humbly put forth a couple thoughts.
Compared to the Crown Vic, that thing is a chase car :)
Even though there are many cars faster than a Challenger RT, how many of them are in Atlanta? Realistically, when you see a police chase video, what do you see most often.... trucks and SUVs. Especially down South. For chasing down rednecks in pickup trucks and drug dealers in Cadillacs, that Challenger will do just fine.
Although, I do remember the folks on Allpar had tested a Hemi Charger police cruiser up to 150 governed.... I take Allpar information with a grain of salt, but at the same time there really aren't that many cars capable of 150.

and its still a Dodge...
Famous for their rock hard transmissions :shifty: and the caravan= "Mini Van Big Fun"

It does look cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont wan to play with numbers but I saw a test drive of the challenger s/rt off the showroom floor and she hit 180 with no mods what so ever.

They should just sell the car and put the money to work somewhere else, or donate it to a worthy cause. The car is going to be an odd ball at the shop and will never run right.

Anything can go 200 MPH in a straight line...more or less a straight line. All you need is power. But the magic question is, will if be aerodynamically capable of reaching those speeds and still drive properly?

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Have you seen the front ends of the Challengers? They are like a damned wall. Why do you think exotics and super cars have a reallly small (relatively speaking) frontal area? Why are they wedge shaped?

Members online

No members online now.
Back