Thanks Guys!

Elemino

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1401251731638.jpg

As we were about to start loading the truck to move to a new house this weekend, guess what decided to go in the driver door?

Well, luckily I've read enough on this forum to know this was coming. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I ended up paying $185.93 + tax at the local Ford dealership for a new Window Regulator. Because I've seen so much on here, I knew what I was looking for before I cracked the door. One piece shattered and the other was falling apart. Now the window works like new... Wish I had metal clips to replace the plastic crap.

The procedure was pretty easy and straight forward. A power drill with Torx bits and socket bit makes the job much easier.

I had to use a method that involved removing the fuse to rest and reinitialize the window.

Approximately 2 hours of work and $200 after taxes.

I want to say thanks for all the info provided, and all the experiences already told on this forum. It helped a great deal here! Thanks guys!

uploadfromtaptalk1401251731638.jpg

Glad it went well...and congrats on the move!

The info here is invaluable.

How does the motor sound? (compared to the old one) I bought a NAPA one for a buddy ($90ish)... but it was a bit louder then stock.

Not sure if this tidbit of info is helpful to anyone or not...

I had the dealer do my front passenger window regulator a few weeks ago. Between working a lot of hours and getting an unexpected bonus at work, it just made sense. Anyway, went and picked the car up, ran the window up and down, it worked so I left. My GF and I went out the next day and she says "What the heck, the window doesn't go down all the way!" It was about 3/8" up when she ran the window down. she ran it up and down a few times, no difference. I ran it up and down a few times the next morning using the drivers door button and it re-aligned itself.

Glad it went well...and congrats on the move!

The info here is invaluable.

How does the motor sound? (compared to the old one) I bought a NAPA one for a buddy ($90ish)... but it was a bit louder then stock.
Sorry about the late reply. I've been busy unpacking and getting things done around the house.

I'm still using the factory motor which looked new upon visual inspection (The car is 11 years old now). From what I've seen, I'd say it sounds like a car still on the show room floor. It works perfectly now. I wouldn't replace the motor unless necessary.

Not sure if this tidbit of info is helpful to anyone or not...

I had the dealer do my front passenger window regulator a few weeks ago. Between working a lot of hours and getting an unexpected bonus at work, it just made sense. Anyway, went and picked the car up, ran the window up and down, it worked so I left. My GF and I went out the next day and she says "What the heck, the window doesn't go down all the way!" It was about 3/8" up when she ran the window down. she ran it up and down a few times, no difference. I ran it up and down a few times the next morning using the drivers door button and it re-aligned itself.
Sounds like the clamp on the regulator isn't tight enough. I had that very issue on my first car. The window was replaced after someone broke into it, and the person that put in the new window left it a bit loose... Every now and then the window would work its way down about 1/4" while driving. If I knew then what I know now I would have fixed it myself.

You didn't need to replace the entire regulator. You can order beefed up clips on ebay for around 20 bucks for a pair. Your passenger door is next.

I bought the cheapest one off ebay. Came to $75 with tax. Works fine usually except when its minus -15 Celsius here in January. It goes down about half way then stops. Gotta double tap the button to continue. Same going up. Other than that, meh works fine.

... It goes down about half way then stops. Gotta double tap the button to continue. Same going up. Other than that, meh works fine.

Did you try the re-initialize procedure to see if it would resolve this?

Open window fully. Press and hold up. Continue to hold the up button for several seconds after the window is fully closed.

Did you try the re-initialize procedure to see if it would resolve this?

Open window fully. Press and hold up. Continue to hold the up button for several seconds after the window is fully closed.

Its the actual Cold that slows the motor. I didn't mention that.

It behaves perfectly fine otherwise warmer temperatures. Its a good motor, imo, very strong.

You might try lubricating the window tracks and adjusting their positions slightly. The adjustment should be done when they are cold enough to be showing the problem.

Joe,
Question about this.
As I mentioned in a previous post in this same thread, I had the dealership replace the passenger front regulator back in May. Well, Saturday the same regulator broke again. Took the car in, yup, regulator broke so replaced under warranty. I pick the car up and the service guy says "your motor is bad. The window will go up and down but the auto up-down doesn't work because the motor won't initialize"
So, I hit the down button. It goes ALMOST all the way down, sticks up about 1/2 inch. I hit the up button. It goes all the way up then comes back down about half way.
Does this sound like the motor is bad or just installed wrong?

... So, I hit the down button. It goes ALMOST all the way down, sticks up about 1/2 inch. I hit the up button. It goes all the way up then comes back down about half way.
Does this sound like the motor is bad or just installed wrong?

Sounds to me like the motor just needs to be re-indexed.

I did it myself actually, was a bit of a pain but thankfully my window sticks a little bit when fully closed so it was like having imaginary helpers lol

Yes, just takes one person. The glass shouldn't move.

Edit: I didn't look at the link at first and I assumed it was talking about removing the motor from the regulator.

I think I will try this first then the motor if it doesn't work.
Thanx for the info guys. I will post back with info.

I've never tried it that way. I would give it a shot and see if it works. If not, then no harm done.

What I have done that I know works is this.

Raise the window as high as possible.
Remove the motor from the regulator.
Press the auto up button (window up all the way down to the second detent).
Let the motor run till it stops.
Reattach the motor to the regulator.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need a new motor.

I've never tried it that way. I would give it a shot and see if it works. If not, then no harm done.

I did mine with the link. Never thought about doing it your way. Just replaced mine over the weekend and I couldn't find how to fix the problem (same as OPs) got to searching and found that page. Worked like a champ :)

I did mine with the link. Never thought about doing it your way. Just replaced mine over the weekend and I couldn't find how to fix the problem (same as OPs) got to searching and found that page. Worked like a champ :)

Good to know.

BTW Joe,
I would NEVER doubt any info you provide on anything to do with the LS. As you eluded to in your one reply, no harm, no foul if the other method doesn't work. I'm all for trying something first if I don't have to tear that door apart!

Urethra! I mean Eureka!

Finally had the chance to try this out yesterday. What a frigin relief, it worked perfectly.

It would have only been a 5 minute job if I wouldn't have dropped the fuse between the fuse block and spare tire well. It went right under the fuse block/battery box!

Now, I'm trying to decide if the dealership was trying to rip me off or really just don't know their ****.

I've done this job before which isn't too bad. My passenger side needs this soon, window regulator is acting up.

Members online

Back