Test N Tune 01-31-09

yea I went to hrp for "street night" on friday.

ya gotta get there early.. it gets pretty packed on fridays
it was cold as hell and they still had 212 cars that bought tech cards

I can't reveal my secrets....

My line pressure isn't relevant due to jmodding.... timing retard between shifts, for what? Timing at WOT when where how?

BTW... Tiff could school your ass in your own car hate to break it to you :D

Seriously doubt it, she's never tried to launch a 4.30 geared Mark VIII and she doesn't know when to shift one either. It takes at least a week practicing it or you will hit the rev limiter for sure. Leaving it in drive is boring as hell, the only way I'll leave a Mark VIII in drive going down the 1/4 mile is if it is bone stock and can't go over 6000rpm. I weigh 170 so her weight advantage isn't that significant either. Plus like I said before you can't teach me anything about drag racing tricks, I know all of them, from the amount of air in the tires to staging shallow for best et, etc...

Seriously doubt it, she's never tried to launch a 4.30 geared Mark VIII and she doesn't know when to shift one either. ...

Ok..dont even go there sport.

Tiffany had never tried to launch a 450HP 456 geared Z28 but she strapped the bucket on her head and jumped in the drivers seat.

She ran within .03 of the owners best pass ever, at her first shot.
car left hard and went like STINK.

The owner didn't let her try again because he was AFRAID she was going to go faster than he did.

now if you wanna smack KK around for his tiffany comment feel free, but..dont think she cant or wont outdrive 99% of the males on the planet.
IF your one of that 1% good for you..if not try not to pat yourself on the back too much.

it's one thing for "someone else" to say your a good driver, it's entirely something else to call yourself a good driver.

I never claimed to be the best drag racer, but I have gotten a .001 reaction time before...twice ;)

Come to Texas in March we can all run together, I'll give Tiff my car and lay $100 on the table that she could take you in a bracket race.... I say bracket only because my car only has a tune so a heads up race just wouldn't be fair....

I'll put another $100 on that she can run faster than your previous fastest time in your own car.

Tiff has a timeslip in a picture frame.
.003 RT and ran a 9.6000 on a 9.60 dial in
her opponent was me...lol
Bitch nailed me to the tree.. then ran DEAD ON HER DIAL IN.

She's brutal I tell ya..BRUTAL.

I've hit several .000 lights in competition, won several championships...and tiff STILL hands me my ass on a regular basis.

She single handedly KILLED the mod ET class at Lonestar Motorsports Park.
the class literally DIED because "them HE MEN" didn't like getting beaten by a 100LB girl in a Lincoln.

do not under estimate, lest ye win the yellow timeslip.

I never claimed to be the best drag racer, but I have gotten a .001 reaction time before...twice ;)

during TNT or during an actual competition.
It's fairly easy to hit low RT's when you dont risk getting knocked out of competition...
It's a whole other ball game to "KILL THE TREE" when it "counts".

ok now excuse my ignorace but what exactly is tuning a car? m y mark seems preety sluggish and im trying to figure out what i need to do to get it up to where i want it

ok now excuse my ignorace but what exactly is tuning a car? m y mark seems preety sluggish and im trying to figure out what i need to do to get it up to where i want it

Tuning is when you change the factory PCM setting to alter how the vehicle drives. With the right software you can change just about anything you could think of.

What are your expectations for your car?

to not get smoked off the line by a stratus with a rice can. granted i had three people in the car and balding tires but thats just embarrasing. i can eat cars on the highway but i want it to just jump off the line. it seems to kind of stutter, i cant break the wheels loose without doing a brakestand

Well to give you an idea before my tune if I matted the pedal my tires wouldn't spin or even chirp. After the tune if I mat the gas from a standstill it will spin them just fine.

Reason: In the factory programing on tip in throttle the computer pulls 21 degrees of timing or so making the engine BOG...

The tune helps a lot... but it's still not enough for me...

4.30 rear gears and a 3800rpm 9.5" converter will hopefully get me where I want to be.

I see zero reason to ever drive a car that isn't tuned ever again... the bean counters do so much stupid :q:q:q:q to the cars before they leave the factory it is astounding....

i dont even know what that means lol. it wouldnt be any time soon im just trying to get a ballpark

If you want a crap canned tune you can have it for around $350 or so dollars.... There are other much much better options....

tune

Anybody know a shop in the KC area that can handle the tuning you guys are talking about? How about Geno's chips-do they alter timing to delete retard, do they change shift points and line pressures, reduce shift engagement time, shift harder?
I'd like as many details as possible.

When I say "tuning" I'm referring to optimizing the PCM calibration, removing all the BS that ford put into the PCM to make the car have smooth silky shifts.

Also removing the buttloads of extra fuel that ford programs into the PCM as well.

Alot of people chunk a buttload of spark at a car and "think" they are tuning when in fact that are doing the opposite.

The first thing you should do is.
change spark plugs
change fuel filter and make sure you have proper fuel pressure
make sure your maf sensor is clean {very carefully)

Then and ONLY then should you concern yourself with anything in regards to the PCM and it's calibration.

you cannot "tune" a car that is in need of a "tune up".

Maybe we're just slow learners Tommy. :D

THAT HAS TO BE IT!

check this out JP.

My first pass last friday.. I rolled THRU the beams.. staged the car in reverse.
AS I got both lights lit.. the tree came down...
I took a stab at the tree and cut an .028 light..haha

Then I rolled DEEP again and "bumped" the car backwards twice on my second pass..

I felt like an utter and total N00b.....
Staging the car IS NOT like riding a bike...haha

I got very used to using my side view mirror to judge when I was getting close to the starting line... the second gen mirror is different and that technique FAILED HORRIBLY!

I've got to get some more track time with the new car and get me a "good" reference point.. the side view mirror isn't a good reference point on a second gen..

See..I LEARNED multiple things on my last outing and I only made 3 passes!
haha

Anybody know a shop in the KC area that can handle the tuning you guys are talking about? How about Geno's chips-do they alter timing to delete retard, do they change shift points and line pressures, reduce shift engagement time, shift harder?
I'd like as many details as possible.

I must be completely ANAL about my car.

I tried many chips from various vendors and each had "something" I didn't like...(not bashing ANY tuners) but.. I decided after I had spent almost 1K on various chips that I just needed to "bite the bullet" and do it myself.

Many people are happy with the off the shelf tune they receive from many vendors, I just didn't fall into that category.

the tuning solutions aren't cheap, nor are they for "everyone"..but in my case "it was the only way".

Some people are happy to send their chip/programmer back and forth to their "tuner" to have them fix or adjust things..

Myself, I just like the fact that "I" can change what I want.. when I want.. and if I dont like the change I can "undo it".

again this probably isn't for "everyone" and it's has a very very steep learning curve.

I'd be more than happy to help anyone that decides that they would like to "put their destiny in their own hands"...as I have gotten over the STEEP part of the learning curve and have a good idea what is going on inside the PCM.

It really really depends on whether your driving a 93-95EEC 4 Mark 8 or a 96-98 obd2 mark 8.
EEC4's are not friendly to the "budding tuner".

The obd2 cars are much more friendly to the beginner because the obd2 cars will actually "talk back to you" whereas an EEC4 car just looks at you with a "poker face".

Members online

No members online now.
Back