Test N Tune 01-31-09

I am using Sniper special forces but anything I can't control that I want modified, I email my file to one of my buddies with Commando and they hook me up. BTW, a 13.0 air fuel ratio is perfectly safe for NA as long as everything is in good working condition (mass air meter, fuel pump, spark) and you use premium gasoline.

I'm starting to understand why you are having problems tuning your car.... you can't make up things and hope they work....

Years and Years and Years of engineering tweaking data taking and perfecting has proven certain things... don't try and outsmart people who are much much smarter than you....

:q:q:q:q like this is why Jerry isn't on the internet anymore...

Bro, I don't know who you are talking to but I don't make stuff up. I've been racing and tuning Mark VIII's since 2001. I have hundreds of WOT datalogged runs on the street, at the track, and at the dyno. All you have is a book and a racer sct tuner package and now you think you know what you are doing. Do you know what kind of timing these motors like at WOT because you obviously don't know about the air/fuel ratio these cars like. Timing and fuel are the two most important elements in any tune everything else is secondary. My car runs well and i'm very happy with the tune I have on the car right now. It's better than the tweaked SCT tune Torrie made for me, and that one was far from an off the shelf program. But if you think you are going to write a perfect tune with your racer package without datalogging on the street, at the track, and on the dyno, you are mistaken. Like I said I have done everything possible to make sure my tune is the best it can be yet it is not 100% perfect and it will never be.

OK well school me then if you think you know how to tune a Mark VIII better than me...

1. What is your timing * at WOT, all the way through the rpm band?
2. What is your peak MAF load % at WOT?
3. How much air is your engine taking in according to the mass air meter?
4. What is the volumetric efficiency of your motor?

Can you answer any of those questions, not in general but specifically about your car and engine??

I'll bite....

Can you download LiveLink? I'll send you a complete real datalog....

I can't tell you what the exact timing advance at WOT because it is changing... but it peaks at 32.50....

Load... again changes constantly... peak at .836....

I don't give a :q:q:q:q about the last two things you asked about... not important...

It's all good man, I know what kind of timing these 4v's like and you don't need 32 degrees to make them run good, this isn't a Windsor. Your load % is consistent with what i've datalogged or seen on other gen 2 mark viii's and it's pathetic compared to gen 1 mark viii's. The problem I believe is the intake manifold, not a very good design for NA but good for high rpm use and for forced induction applications.

I have mine at 28 degrees at WOT, anything over 30 is definitely not needed and you don't gain any power oR torque but you risk detonation. My friend with a Mach 1 has his at 25 degrees and his Mach 1 runs like a raped ape.

So some unrelated ancedotal evidence is your reasoning for setting your timing... awesome!

Maybe if you put your AFR's back to the the proper 12.1 range your engine would be more spark tolerant....

Also we have knock sensors, have you datalogged yours to see if they are pulling timing? You can be a little more aggressive due to that safe gaurd and ability to "see" the knock measured precisely.

No that's not the only reason I set my timing at 28 degrees. You assume way too much. I don't care how much timing or what your a/f ratio is (or to be more precise what YOU THINK it is), bench racing and talking tuning is fun but all the talk stops when you get to the track... time slips don't lie. I ran 14.62 with just a tune, bullet mufflers, and a k&n conical at a notoriously slow track. If you can come close to that time I will be impressed.

Alright.... I'll have some time slips as soon as I get my car to the track, sorry but it's winter here...

BTW... I'm not assuming anything, when it comes to calibration I work strictly on facts and data.

So lets see... Tommy managed a 14.7X with just a tune at the track I'll be going to for the first time... so I think I could bang out a 14.6X because my tune pimp slaps his....

Members online

No members online now.
Back