Telescoping Wheel Noise

Andrizzle

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Did a brief search and didn't find anything immediatly, but I am on phone and don't feel like waiting until I'm off work.

So with the weather turning cooler/cold my steering wheel is beginning to make a farting noise when it is extending about halfway. It sounds like grease or something could be added to resolve this, anyone done this before?

I was just going to take off the plastic and hear/feel around until I find where to lube up (giggity).

It doesn't really make the same fart noise when retracting.

Side note, going to be 75 degrees this weekend. Will post photos from a fresh wash!

Yes, my 06 starts making noise as the steering wheel retracts, about every six months. (The 04 has never done this.)
The first time was still in warranty, so I had the dealer re-lube it. When it did it again six months later (and every time after that), I didn't bother with the dealer and just lubed it myself.
You shouldn't need to remove anything to lube it, I haven't. I've been using some kind of think gel lube (sorry, don't remember the name). Put the seat all the back and get under the dash and look up. Operate the telescope and the tilt features. You'll see the motors that spin and the rods that go back and forth. Lube those rods. It helps to change the telescope and tilt some while doing this.

Speaking of wheel noises as it's getting cold.. my steering is squeaking yet again. Time to add some more friction modifier for the 3rd time.

I have a small leak in either my PS container or pump or line. And I've converted nearly my entire PS Fluid to that friction stuff. Lol. Luckily the leak is so slow that it requires a top off maybe once very 6 months.

Oh and thanks joe, glad to hear I wasn't the only one and that I don't need to remove the plastic.

I think mine was doing something similar, barely starting though. Well now I know.

Yes, my 06 starts making noise as the steering wheel retracts, about every six months. (The 04 has never done this.)
The first time was still in warranty, so I had the dealer re-lube it. When it did it again six months later (and every time after that), I didn't bother with the dealer and just lubed it myself.
You shouldn't need to remove anything to lube it, I haven't. I've been using some kind of think gel lube (sorry, don't remember the name). Put the seat all the back and get under the dash and look up. Operate the telescope and the tilt features. You'll see the motors that spin and the rods that go back and forth. Lube those rods. It helps to change the telescope and tilt some while doing this.

My 03 makes this sound really loudly. I have to stop it from retracting everytime I remove the key, because the noise is really irritating.

When I removed the cover and got under the dash, I could not pinpoint where exactly it was coming from. Seems to not be the rods though. It only makes the sound when tilting, telescoping in and out does not make the sound.

Any suggestions??

When yours makes this sound, can you clearly tell that it is the rods??

Can you get this lube at any store like Wal-Mart??

Thanks
:)

Speaking of lubes.....
Maybe use garage door opener (Screw drive) lube? pretty similar task....
Otherwise my go-to would be lithium.

Seems like a lot of you guys use the Easy entry/exit feature.

I have mine disabled just to prevent problems.

Seems like a lot of you guys use the Easy entry/exit feature.

I have mine disabled just to prevent problems.

I disabled mine when my friends complained about getting squished every time I park. :p

...Otherwise my go-to would be lithium.

That was my first try. It didn't work long. I've been using some kind of thick gel lube and it seems to work for several months.

The problem first started after a particularly hot day. It appeared that whatever grease the factory used melted and dripped down on the floor mat.

My 03 makes this sound really loudly. I have to stop it from retracting everytime I remove the key, because the noise is really irritating.

When I removed the cover and got under the dash, I could not pinpoint where exactly it was coming from. Seems to not be the rods though. It only makes the sound when tilting, telescoping in and out does not make the sound.

Any suggestions??

When yours makes this sound, can you clearly tell that it is the rods??

Can you get this lube at any store like Wal-Mart??

Thanks
:)

Mine has only been noisy when retracting/extending. The tilt function has be quiet, so yours may well be making a noise from somewhere deeper inside.

Till you fix it, if you are stopping it anyway, why not turn easy exit off?

I fixed mine. It ended up just being the little rubber gasket below the cluster where it runs against the steering column. It was really dusty and dry right there and was scraping awkwardly. I just wiped it down and swiped leather seat moisturizer on there to give it some lube.

The sound is gone. I checked out the rods underneate and they were still lunbed up nicely.

I disabled mine when my friends complained about getting squished every time I park. :p

lol. I am gonna have to try that intentionally, if i ever have anyone in the back.

That was my first try. It didn't work long. I've been using some kind of thick gel lube and it seems to work for several months.

The problem first started after a particularly hot day. It appeared that whatever grease the factory used melted and dripped down on the floor mat.

My front seats do the same. They drip a lot in the summer time, right at the front two corners.

I fixed mine. It ended up just being the little rubber gasket below the cluster where it runs against the steering column. It was really dusty and dry right there and was scraping awkwardly. I just wiped it down and swiped leather seat moisturizer on there to give it some lube.

The sound is gone. I checked out the rods underneate and they were still lunbed up nicely.

Glad it's all fixed.

Now, did you ever take those pictures you said you were going to over the past weekend?

Just washed it yesterday, going to try some night shots tonight. If can't find good lighting, I will just wait and shoot tomorrow.

Mine has only been noisy when retracting/extending. The tilt function has be quiet, so yours may well be making a noise from somewhere deeper inside.

Till you fix it, if you are stopping it anyway, why not turn easy exit off?

I removed the steering wheel covers again and tried to pinpoint the noise. The noise seems to be coming from deep inside the steering wheel, but i can't find where. The steering wheel jerks / stutters as it tilts (travels) both up and down.

Mine has been doing this for at least 6 months and every so often it will randomly not do it when I get out to go somewhere, but then do it when I get in. Strange, but does it 99% of the time.

I have never removed the air bag, would I even be able to see anymore of the moving parts associated with the tilt if I did?

I stop the "easy exit" manually when other ppl are in the car with me, because it's an embarrasing sound...ha...but I didn't think I could turn off the function since my car doesn't have the command center (or control center) on the dash.

Members online

No members online now.
Back