symptoms of a bad IAC?

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I think my IAC is going bad. ( gen II thank god ) The car doesn't come down to idle very quickly and I don't know if it's just something I'm noticing but I can go nearly 2 city blocks at 20 mph without touching the gas.

Idles at 750rpm in Drive and 1000 rpm in park.

Iac is 2.5 years old. Got a new one when I got the car.

If the part isn't OEM and came from AZ or something, it's possible for it to go bad quickly but that does sound like your problem. A bad TPS can also cause a high idle. Luckily for you, your able to get to both easily.

Do you have any issues keeping the car started? When my IAC finally went the car would start then just die out

i just put a new one on my 97 this morning, last night coming home my car wanted to keep going at a red light, i popped it in nuetral and it shot to 2 grand, then the light turned green, i had to put it back in drive, man o man when i did the car lunged forward and smoked the tires lol so i changed it today and its all happy now again.

smack the iac with a screwdriver handle while its idling high and see if it changes. Mine had carbon build up and after i'd smack it a time or two it would come loose and idle normal.

died twice this morning. It's bad. I'll get one tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.
Back