Suspension Parts

col batitong

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, The day had finally come regarding the replacement of suspension parts. I was changing the oil of my LS and noticed that my front passenger side tire had some wiggle, upon further check, I saw the tie rod boot is bad. I checked further and looked to all the bushings and ball joints and all are needed replacement. They all dry rotted and breaking apart. I am thinking of doing everything including sway bars, I went to the Stealership quoted me for a whopping $2200:Bang:bsflag::eek2: just for Upper and lower ball joints, outer tie rods and alignment ( front only).

I saw this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/150960569568
and its way cheaper, I will be getting 16 piece suspension kit $676 free shipping. I'll just replace everything while I'm there.

Suspension parts.jpg

BRAND NEW

16 piece SUSPENSION Kit
FRONT + REAR
for

LINCOLN LS

2000 - 2003

16 piece Kit Includes;

FRONT

1 x Front Upper Control Arm with Ball Joints & Bushings LEFT

1 x Front Upper Control Arm with Ball Joints & Bushings RIGHT

1 x CONTROL ARM With BALL JOINT ASSEMBLY (STEERING KNUCKLE/AXLE BEARING CARRIER) (LOWER -14MM)

1 x CONTROL ARM With BALL JOINT ASSEMBLY (STEERING KNUCKLE/AXLE BEARING CARRIER) (LOWER -14MM)

1 x Front Lower Control Arm Bushing LEFT

1 x Front Lower Control Arm Bushing RIGHT

1 x Front OUTER TIE ROD Left

1 x Front OUTER TIE ROD Right

1 x FRONT SWAY BAR / STABILIZER LINK LEFT

1 x FRONT SWAY BAR / STABILIZER LINKS RIGHT

1 x FRONT SWAY BAR / STABILIZER BUSHING LEFT

1 x FRONT SWAY BAR / STABILIZER BUSHING RIGHT

REAR

1 x REAR TORQUE TIE RODS

1 x REAR TORQUE TIE RODS

1 x REAR SWAY BAR / STABILIZER LINK LEFT

1 x REAR SWAY BAR / STABILIZER LINK RIGHT

Any advice on the above parts if its good or bad will be really appreciated. Thanks.

Suspension parts.jpg

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I hope the parts are good, because I need to do some of the same work very soon.

I can't tell you one way or the other, but my DP outer tie rods went bad in about 18 months. I could've just been a fluke to every part though.

For the parts you listed from the quote from Ford, you should be seeing $8-900 for the front ball joints and tie rod ends.

Lower BJ/Steering Knuckle: According to FPG.com, the knuckles w/ ball joint are discontinued but the Moog replacements from RockAuto will work if you or a shop in the area can press them in. (abt. $80/side)

Upper BJ/A-Arm: According to FPG.com, these are also discontinued but may be found at RockAuto. (abt. $100/side)

Tie Rod Ends w/ boots: Still available at FPG.com. (abt. $180/side)

Sway Bar: You have the 1st gen where you can just replace the bushings IIRC, if not you can replace the whole bar which is still available on FPG.com. (abt. $125)

I would check what you absolutely need and source OEM through either Tasca or FPG.com. I would also suggest checking if there is a Moog alternative considering they're a tier one supplier of all the components you listed. I couldn't trust all those parts you listed in that kit for that price or further.

NO. I wouldn't touch that dp crap. I have their end links and they are done after less than a year. Just do a google search of them. There are places to skimp on parts, but suspension parts are not one of them.

if you will be doing the whole suspension...might aswell get good OEM or MOOG quality parts. yea the good brands are expensive but better quality. i replaced my sway bar links with MOOG and the oem look like toothpicks compared to these now lol. you can get moog parts from advance auto parts and use the coupon codes to get better prices.

For the parts you listed from the quote from Ford, you should be seeing $8-900 for the front ball joints and tie rod ends.

Lower BJ/Steering Knuckle: According to FPG.com, the knuckles w/ ball joint are discontinued but the Moog replacements from RockAuto will work if you or a shop in the area can press them in. (abt. $80/side)

Upper BJ/A-Arm: According to FPG.com, these are also discontinued but may be found at RockAuto. (abt. $100/side)

Tie Rod Ends w/ boots: Still available at FPG.com. (abt. $180/side)

Sway Bar: You have the 1st gen where you can just replace the bushings IIRC, if not you can replace the whole bar which is still available on FPG.com. (abt. $125)

I would check what you absolutely need and source OEM through either Tasca or FPG.com. I would also suggest checking if there is a Moog alternative considering they're a tier one supplier of all the components you listed. I couldn't trust all those parts you listed in that kit for that price or further.

Yes this is what they quoted me:

Outer Tie Rods $275.60+Tax

Upper Ball Joints $745.52+Tax

Lower Ball Joints $1,330.08+Tax

Thanks for your advice and hoping to get some more info regarding this project.

Yes this is what they quoted me:

Outer Tie Rods $275.60+Tax

Upper Ball Joints $745.52+Tax

Lower Ball Joints $1,330.08+Tax

Thanks for your advice and hoping to get some more info regarding this project.

The reason for the high prices from the dealer is they are quoting you suspension arms with the ball joints installed. IIRC, the uppers do need the entire arm with the joint installed, HOWEVER, the lowers can be replaced without the need to replace the entire arm. I, as well as many others here, have had it done. I had a time finding a suspension shop that wasn't afraid of the aluminum arm, but got it done. The lower joints are something like $100 for the pair.

Exactly, the lower ball joint is sold with the steering knuckle. If any of the machined features of the knuckle for example the hub hole, upper ball joint hole or lower ball joint hole, are damaged then you would need to replace the entire knuckle, otherwise just replace the lower ball joint with the Moog equivalent.

That price for the outer tie rods is way off, did they include the inners as well?

Lastly, if you are doing the steering gear boots, you will need to replace the clamps on there. Mine were tore to hell by the time I got mine off. Also, whenever possible use air tools if you're doing this on your own. You should have no problem getting nuts off if you wire brush the threads and zip them off. In your case you would be ok with cutting parts off but just providing that info as an FYI.

Unless that quote includes labor I would break the wrist and walk away. Break the wrist. Walk away.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

DeutscheParts have a renowned reputation for being total crap, riding on the coat tails of good German engineering by calling themselves Deutsche.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

DeutscheParts have a renowned reputation for being total crap, riding on the coat tails of good German engineering by calling themselves Deutsche.

+1 Although I would be more frustrated with the labor rather than the price. It looks like you can buy 3-4 sets of the Deutsche parts before meeting the price of all the OEM equivalent.

Go to rockauto.com and price out your parts....you can get quality parts and a good price. If you can do the work yourself you will save yourself tons.

The front end work isn't too bad if you have a friend and a long weekend.

OEM or Moog. I prefer moog but opinions are like....

Chris said it right...buy cheap, buy twice

DP, Mevotech, Deeza not so good. Deeza is the better of these 3 but still not made to last long.

I'm still checking on different places online to see how much will be and the brand. I'll keep y'all updated on this project.:)

San Diego Area... 2002 LINCOLN LS V8

Got both Front Upper Control Arms w/ ball joint assy, Sway Bar Center Bushings (Energy Suspension)
and both Front L/R (Moog) Sway bar end links replaced and Installed at most shops around San Diego for $150.00
(The Parts were purchased from Amaz0n and Ebay).

The new Control Arms w/ ball joints were stamped "JAGUAR" inside Motorcraft boxes from Amazon.
The MOOG sway bar end link replacements were "definitely" much thicker then the OEM Stock links.

Lincoln LS (Sway Bar End Links).jpg

Sway Bar Bushings 1A.jpg

San Diego Area... 2002 LINCOLN LS V8

Got both Front Upper Control Arms w/ ball joint assy, Sway Bar Center Bushings (Energy Suspension)
and both Front L/R (Moog) Sway bar end links replaced and Installed at most shops around San Diego for $150.00
(The Parts were purchased from Amaz0n and Ebay).

The new Control Arms w/ ball joints were stamped "JAGUAR" inside Motorcraft boxes from Amazon.
The MOOG sway bar end link replacements were "definitely" much thicker then the OEM Stock links.

Sounds good there, Can you send me the links on all of the above? Thanks.

Amazon ASIN#'s: (Just go to Amazon and place the ASIN #'s in the Search box, and hit enter):

B001KR75IW
B001KR3FR2
B00180HX7Y

The Swaybar bushings from Energy suspension would be dependant on the type of LS you have (sport/non-sport etc...).
The posted user pics on Amazon were my uploads (for LS Gen.1 non-sport verification).

Just finished replacing my total front suspension. Parts off ebay. Tie rods from Ford $339.00. $650 labor to have all installed by local mechanic. Jag parts for most things & Moog. $1100 for all parts. 2 new tires front $300.00. 96k miles on 2000 lS.

... The Swaybar bushings from Energy suspension would be ...

1st GEN LS

Should stay away from the Energy Suspension sway bar bushings, they are too narrow for the bracket and slide side to side.
there is too much play on these. Member Hite337 put me onto Rein XR819697, I also confirmed the ES bushings move about.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jaguar-suspension-stabilizer-bar-mount-xr819697

Rein-XR819697.jpg

You'll need to order qty 2 as the shopping cart misleads you to think qty 1 is a set, which it is not.

Use the old OEM bushing brackets, clean them up and use the Jag bushings. They are a direct fit on the 1st GEN LS.

attachment.jpg

Rein-XR819697.jpg

1st GEN LS

Should stay away from the Energy Suspension sway bar bushings, they are too narrow for the bracket and slide side to side.
there is too much play on these. Member Hite337 put me onto Rein XR819697, I also confirmed the ES bushings move about.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jaguar-suspension-stabilizer-bar-mount-xr819697

You'll need to order qty 2 as the shopping cart misleads you to think qty 1 is a set, which it is not.

Use the old OEM bushing brackets, clean them up and use the Jag bushings. They are a direct fit on the 1st GEN LS.

Direct fit for the sport 30mm Stabilizer bar only.

oops.gif

oversight on my part, I guess I take the Sport model for granted too often.

Ok lots of confusion on my part. I need upper and lower Ball Joints.

2 outter Tie rods ends.

2 inner Tie Rods

2sway Bar Links.

Where should I get them for the best price that is not Garbage parts?

I have a 02 LS V8 Sport. Thanks

My advice is rockauto and choose motorcraft when you can, and moog when you can't. Grab the deeza sway bar links, a few of here, myself included, have them and they are okay. Grab Timken bearings when you do those too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back