Subwoofers

lot of info here lol. I'm gonna have this installed at a place called SoundSation by me, the guy is know around the country for his award winning sound systems and stuff. He builds his own amps, the guy is an audio genius and i'm not even kidding. There located here in staten island, idk if anyone lives over here or not. He does amazing work, i can't wait to bring my car there. so i can definately run this setup

Sub- JL Audio CS110RG-W3v3 - 10'' Sealed subwoofer
with JL Audio JX500/1 Amp

I spent about 700 on my first setup, it hit nice, as clean as a ported setup can be, and still hit 142.7 in the trunk of a town car. 143.1 in a jeep liberty. A lot depends on the box you build. You can blow 1000 dollar speakers away if the box they are in is garbage, I've blown guys with trunks filled with speakers just because, well, it was a trunk filled with expensive speakers (more like hatch, it was a stationwagon with a gushers motif). That was with 2 140 dollar 15's.

I put a Infinity system in my son's Mark.
103_3051.jpg

I spent about 700 on my first setup, it hit nice, as clean as a ported setup can be, and still hit 142.7 in the trunk of a town car. 143.1 in a jeep liberty. A lot depends on the box you build. You can blow 1000 dollar speakers away if the box they are in is garbage, I've blown guys with trunks filled with speakers just because, well, it was a trunk filled with expensive speakers (more like hatch, it was a stationwagon with a gushers motif). That was with 2 140 dollar 15's.

I hear you, i'm not looking to go crazy but i want to have a kickass system to listen to and ofcourse to show off to my friends :D The radio was bought by my dad and so was the speakers and amp already so i have to pay for the sub and amp since the car's mine, it will be over a grand easily when everythings done. Out of my pocket will probably be between 300-700 with the sub and amp i picked out. I've heard stories from the guy at SoundSation (owners name is Lambros - audio genius) of little hatchbacks beating cars with 2-3k sound systems with just speakers or small setups. Like i said i've heard a single 10'' JL bump hard and it was real clean and sounded absolutely amazing. The bass was so tight it was unbelievable. Overall im just looking to have a nice system to bump with and enjoy listening to. thanks

Yes smaller subs do not hit deeper....larger subs do.

Lots of the subs in here are ok but there is much better out there. Look at Audioque, Digital Designs, RE, Fi.

My system is a single 10" that hits pretty hard for only 500rms. I like running single sub setups because bass is a mono frequency, hence no left and right so no need for multiple subs.

A single sub pushing lots of rms will suffice. Sealed is more efficent but ported is louder. For crisp clean bass youll want an sq sub in a sealed enclosure. To rattle your brain, youll want an spl sub in a ported & tuned enclosure.

Make sure you are using the right gauge of wire. I personally recommend at a minimum 4 gauge but 2 or 0 is best. Also run directly off the battery and make sure its fused correctly. Also you should do the big 3 upgrade.

sorry, but no again. bass is not a mono frequency. frequencies below 150 hz produce a wider wave, most subwoofer frequencies are below that range and really between 40-80hz. the human ear cant perceive the sound below 35 hz but if you have a good system you'll see the speaker reaaaalllllyyyyyy moving back and forth moving air that you can feel. "stereo" only really refers to being able to detect a sound coming from either side of you or all around you. a bass guitar with the strings being thumped can be detected by your ears through two or more speakers.its just that you cant detect sub frequencies, which is why you get bass multiplication everytime you double your subs. if you've ever heard two people playing the same song on a guitar (accoustic or electric) you'll notice the harmony, some bands have had two drummers orat live shows for fun have had two drummers, now youcant really differentiate between the 2 but you know there there playing in stereo.so technically it doesnt matter which is why they make bridgeable amps.and ported bandpass boxes are not louder they are more effecient at the frequency its tuned at. like having more than one speaker at that frequency,there is nothing more effecient or accurate than a sealed enclosure.period. and with reference to being louder use 2 speakers or a helluva lot of power.i did nothing but stereos for work, custom enclosures and spl contests for a decade had a shop with a buddy. this is one of those addages 1 us good, two is better, 4 is tremendous, 8 will put hole in your chest!
a "single sub and a kickass amp" will blow your speaker. you can go buy a crunch sub, put 500watts on it and watch it reverberate, sound like crap and blow. buy the best possible speaker you can afford, if its a 12, get 2 10's instead. i love dual or 4 12's,but 10's pretty close. a speakers "loudness" is determined by how much air it can move thats why kicker came out with the square solobarics because a 12" square has more surface area than a circle so it moves more air. the more air you move the better, get it!

sorry, but no again. bass is not a mono frequency. frequencies below 150 hz produce a wider wave, most subwoofer frequencies are below that range and really between 40-80hz. the human ear cant perceive the sound below 35 hz but if you have a good system you'll see the speaker reaaaalllllyyyyyy moving back and forth moving air that you can feel. "stereo" only really refers to being able to detect a sound coming from either side of you or all around you. a bass guitar with the strings being thumped can be detected by your ears through two or more speakers.its just that you cant detect sub frequencies, which is why you get bass multiplication everytime you double your subs. if you've ever heard two people playing the same song on a guitar (accoustic or electric) you'll notice the harmony, some bands have had two drummers orat live shows for fun have had two drummers, now youcant really differentiate between the 2 but you know there there playing in stereo.so technically it doesnt matter which is why they make bridgeable amps.and ported bandpass boxes are not louder they are more effecient at the frequency its tuned at. like having more than one speaker at that frequency,there is nothing more effecient or accurate than a sealed enclosure.period. and with reference to being louder use 2 speakers or a helluva lot of power.i did nothing but stereos for work, custom enclosures and spl contests for a decade had a shop with a buddy. this is one of those addages 1 us good, two is better, 4 is tremendous, 8 will put hole in your chest!
a "single sub and a kickass amp" will blow your speaker. you can go buy a crunch sub, put 500watts on it and watch it reverberate, sound like crap and blow. buy the best possible speaker you can afford, if its a 12, get 2 10's instead. i love dual or 4 12's,but 10's pretty close. a speakers "loudness" is determined by how much air it can move thats why kicker came out with the square solobarics because a 12" square has more surface area than a circle so it moves more air. the more air you move the better, get it!

Please use punctuation in your sentences. Bass is mono and if i recall im running my sub of a monoblock amp. Sure you can have bass in stereo, but the way songs are setup most of the time the basslines are in the center of the soundstage. Really no need for a left and right when both subs are in your trunk and not left and right of you.

Ported is louder. Sealed is more efficient. You dont need multiple subs to hit hard. Like i said, you can buy a stronger sub and amp that is matched to it.

A single sub and amp will not blow your speaker. Im running an Audioque SDC 2.5 with 500rms @ 2ohms. The sub is rated for 600rms and no its not going to blow. And if it did...recone.

Are you against sending lots of power to a single sub? They do make subs that can push 2000rms now all day long on music not just burps.

Those kickers suck imo...much better out there. Especially the solobarics. The world records in db arent held by kicker or mtx or even JL. I believe its DC right now. Followed by Digital Designs and some with Audioque.

Ive heard single sub system put multiple sub systems to same. Its all about the right setup. Just informing the op that you can do a lot with one sub. Did you really say to go buy a crunch amp? Lmao im not a newbie with car audio...my amp is also an Audioque amp and if you wanna check it out its not a light weight: http://www.audioque.com/AQ1200D-Amplifier_p_30.html later on i plan on getting a stronger sub and running it at 1ohms to get the most of the amp.

There is a lot of room down there. A lot of installers like to the spare tire space for amp placement, and sometimes even sub placement as well. I cut 3/4" MDF in the shape of the floor, and then ran the wires under the trunk liner. That system had only one 12" sub and bumped pretty hard.

Please use punctuation in your sentences. Bass is mono and if i recall im running my sub of a monoblock amp. Sure you can have bass in stereo, but the way songs are setup most of the time the basslines are in the center of the soundstage. Really no need for a left and right when both subs are in your trunk and not left and right of you.

Ported is louder. Sealed is more efficient. You dont need multiple subs to hit hard. Like i said, you can buy a stronger sub and amp that is matched to it.

A single sub and amp will not blow your speaker. Im running an Audioque SDC 2.5 with 500rms @ 2ohms. The sub is rated for 600rms and no its not going to blow. And if it did...recone.

Are you against sending lots of power to a single sub? They do make subs that can push 2000rms now all day long on music not just burps.

Those kickers suck imo...much better out there. Especially the solobarics. The world records in db arent held by kicker or mtx or even JL. I believe its DC right now. Followed by Digital Designs and some with Audioque.

Ive heard single sub system put multiple sub systems to same. Its all about the right setup. Just informing the op that you can do a lot with one sub. Did you really say to go buy a crunch amp? Lmao im not a newbie with car audio...my amp is also an Audioque amp and if you wanna check it out its not a light weight: http://www.audioque.com/AQ1200D-Amplifier_p_30.html later on i plan on getting a stronger sub and running it at 1ohms to get the most of the amp.

+1 on what he has to say.

Appreciate your trunk space while you have it. I love my system, but i miss not having much truck space.

In da new mark I'll be running 1 12" dc lvl 4 in a ported enclosure kiddy cornered in the back of the trunk on a Rockford t2500bd.1 already got a HO alt and big 3. Should hit nice :)

Ugh... Lots of good info in this thread to help you make up your mind. Here are my thoughts.
Buy what you can afford and get an alarm. At the end of the day you don't need to double your subs to get 10db more out of the system, the correct enclosure vs a bad one can do that alone. You can make a ok sub and a great enclosure sound fantastic.

In the past I've built a van with 32 8" running off 225HCCA that smoked 12 15" on 6k watts. It's all in the what and how.

Don't skimp on power, more subs have been blown by underpowering them than over powering.
Make sure your charging system can handle it... If it can't, you Will end up with problems.
Choosing the correct sub and some creative enclosure design can allow you to retain just about the entire trunk.
I've done everything from big boom cars to stealth SQ focused rides and just about everything you can imagine between the two.
If you've got someone who's willing to let you listen to their mark with a system in it, that's even better; you can get an idea on if what you have in mind meets your expectations.

Soundsation, I don't know where he is, is that the guy on hylan by new dorp? I'm not a fan of the guys who do installs in the area, a lot of them act like they are the :q:q:q:qing guru of car stereo and :q:q:q:q you if you question it. I may be spoiled though, I used to buy all my stuff from the Florida usaci judge back when he still had a shop, learned a lot from him too. He knew his :q:q:q:q, without question, both sq and spl setups. He was always a pleasure to deal with too, didn't matter if you were spending 100 or 1000 he always took care of you like you were his #1 customer.

Oh ya, side note, I have an account with the wholesaler all of these guys on staten island buy their equipment from, if you want to save some money let me know. I can also build a box, and install it too.

I'd like to say that my Mark has a pair of Infinty Perfect 10s and Kappa components to produce the sounds you actually hear more than feel... And in my :q:q:q:qbox Saturn, the $50/pair Cadence components and no-name old 400W RMS amp driving the MTX Road Thunders in my Saturn sound about 95% as good when I'm playing 256k MP3s. With 192k MP3s, it gets really hard to notice any difference at all (unless I'm playing Money For Nothing by Dire Straits, one of the best wide frequency equipment tuning tracks ever.) There is literally no discernible difference in anything I play with 128k MP3s.

So the main ideas here are these:

Spending a grip on fancy brand name stuff isn't necessarily worth it unless you have a great ear and/or a desire to have a better system than your friend.
And...
If your source music isn't 256k or better quality, it's not going to be worth it at all.

The box has ALOT to do with it!! I have a single 12 in a ported box I built tuned to 30hz that sounds better than 4-12's I had squeezed in a small box. JL's WAYYY overrated!! I've had just about every sub out their and believe it or not audiopipe subs are your best bang for your buck rite now, unless you have $800 to blow on a sub. I also listen to rap and hip-hop, tell your guy you want a single 12" sub with a ported box built and tuned to 30hz and trust me youll be HAPPY!!

The 12" sub I have is a audiopipe TXX-BD12 dual 4ohm(750watts rms)wired @2ohms $100 shipped on ebay, ran by a kicker zx750.1 mono sub amp(750watts rms @2ohms)$100 off craigslist, alpine type r door and rear speakers ran by a kicker 200watt 4channel, and 4-1" RE tweeters ran off the deck. Sounds GREAT!! and I cruise around all day with it BOOMIN, never cut out, or have had any problems. That jl 500/1 is a great versitle amps, you get around 600watts(those amps are underrated) @1-4ohm reading.

@ V-Tally, nah its not the dude on hylan this guy is on Forest Ave right next to VIP Car Wash.

By charging system do you mean my alternator? I'll probably get an upgraded alternator to run all this stuff. What do you guys recommend?

I wouldn't worry about the alt unless you're running more then 1500rms+. Which it doesn't sound like you'll be doing.

The "Big 3" and a nice battery up front should be fine. But it all depend's on what you end up running.

On ebay they have some questionable ho alt's. Also look into mechman among many others.

I'm a noob when it comes to audio talk but this systems not gonna be anything outrageous. I got a good battery but might change it when i get this done. Thanks caprice

Members online

No members online now.
Back