Subs Hooked Up & A Couple Questions

You are correct and most subs that are "free air" would be listed as such. Not many around anymore. Kicker, Pioneer and a few others had them but most of them have gone strictly with enclosures. With our back window shape and our trunk size, I would just get 1/2" or 5/8" plywood cut to fit and have the trunk lid arms cut out in the wood so that it will close easily. If that one section could be sealed off just a little, it would help and also look cleaner.

Carpet to match and you're done.

This is kind of what I was wondering. I know they have specific dimensions for each sub enclosure. Even if I'm not exact with the dimensions, if I close it in and seal up the area it should greatly improve the sound, shouldn't it? I'm just really concerned that I'm going to blow these suckers.

I have the gain to where I think it's pretty safe, but all it would take is one song to come on an BOOM! It's the damn trunk cross bars that are in the way. I could have moved the subs forward 2" but they would have looked odd on the back deck, uneven. Again, thanks for the input everyone:)

You are correct and most subs that are "free air" would be listed as such. Not many around anymore. Kicker, Pioneer and a few others had them but most of them have gone strictly with enclosures. With our back window shape and our trunk size, I would just get 1/2" or 5/8" plywood cut to fit and have the trunk lid arms cut out in the wood so that it will close easily. If that one section could be sealed off just a little, it would help and also look cleaner.

Carpet to match and you're done.

thats what i was thinking just build some small boxes to mount up under the deck

i had some old pioneer free air subs waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day but i had them in a box, still hit good and lasted forever lolol

thats what i was thinking just build some small boxes to mount up under the deck

i had some old pioneer free air subs waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day but i had them in a box, still hit good and lasted forever lolol

Chicken, I'll try to keep this short. If you end up doing this type install. I had originally made my cut marks before using the dremel to cut them out. Then I noticed the trunk tension rods running across the back just under the shelf. I went back and redid my layout patterns only to start cutting the wrong one:Bang. At that point I was committed to that position. Just moving them a 1/2" forward would have made it easeir to mount boxes and I think they would of looked just fine. Just something to keep in mind

What are the subs to be exact? I know they're 12's.
Rockford P1's

images.jpg 1.jpg

Well, if you went sealed, which you most likely can't since you're close to the trunk rods, you could go with ported / vented enclosures for each one and mount them up with L brackets. You could use the spot where the rods are in the way for the vent port or seal them and just cut out so that the rods aren't in the way.

Cut out an L shape in the sealed enclosure so that it's not in the way of the rods. Those subs definitely aren't free air subs but luckily for the type of music you listen to, you should be ok for a while but they do need some sort of air support just in case they hit a certain bass note.

They are a year old and do have a foam surround and being in the back window, even though it's tinted, still lessens the life of the foam. I prefer foam surrounds myself over butyl rubber. Heat and sunlight lessen the life of either surround and just because you have them there now, doesn't mean they have to stay there. You can always get another rear deck to cover the holes already made.

If you ever went with a sealed or vented enclosure, this would benefit you as it would allow more air pressure to enter the cars cabin.

I think I will do that,( Enclose them with the vent where the bars are) That will not only make them sound better but should help prevent them from blowing when they eventually hit that one note. Thanks for all the help guys!!

fiberglass buckets drop in

just my 2 cents but i think the look goes great with your car.
you should make some mdf or star board rings. play with some fiber glass and build yourself some buckets that would just drop in the holes you allready made. with a tube to link them together (or not). it would be a clean install and then you could let it all wang out. fiberglass boxes flex alot!!! i think it makes more bang jm2c. i love buiding things out of f/g. you will itch for a week after sanding it
try to mount your amp away from the subs the vibes can kill a cheap amp quick. i dont know what type amp you have but it can kill one.
after that it is just a matter of getting some dynamat 12''x12'' sheets (they peel and stick) to get rid of any rattles. i hate when i spend $2000 on a sound sys just to hear my trunk go bzbzbzbzbzb

i am sorry if someone allready posted this b/c i could not read everything.

Ah.... No. Putting woofers in a deck and using the trunk as the enclosure is "free air".

Isobaric is where you either have two speakers facing each other in a push pull config, or have them stacked one in front of the other.

;)

Bob (IASCA Installation Judge 91-94), Rockford Fosgate "Top Gun" April 91.

ah well..i guess i had my terminology mixed up..:shifty: regardless, i dontt think you would want to port this setup until you had the trunk completely sealed up

Members online

Back