Subs Hooked Up & A Couple Questions

KC96LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad to see the weather finally come around. I'm actually getting some things done. I installed my switch to adjust my module8 and also hooked up my subs. They have just been show for almost a year. My main concern is that I don't have the subs enclosed and that they could easily blow. I've played with the gain & bass Eq. and they sound good just as they are. Obviously they're not made to be used like this. They don't thump REAL hard like they would if they were enclosed, but they definitely rock the review mirror and add a lot to the sound. They don't make any odd sounds that would suggest any problems, just a real nice bass kick which I'm more than happy with.

To enclose them properly would be a real PITA! I was thinking of just putting up a piece of wood with the same material that's in our trunks and just clean everything up and be done. The other thing I would ask is if you have any ideas how to position the 2 amps. I searched and found a few set up's that people have done. If you have a PIC of your set up and would share it, that would be great. I'm the first to say I know how to hook everything up, but that's about it.

This is what I'm running Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Head with Pioneer 6 x 8 4 ways in the back seat, Infinity 6 1/2 in door with tweeter component on dash, the factory JBL door trim speakers and the Rockfords 12" on the back deck. The Rockford amp P-450.4 running all the main speakers and the Infinity MRP-500 Mono running the 2 subs. Any input is appreciated:)

004 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

003 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

010 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

001 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

006 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

crutchfield.jpg

P450_4_1_m.jpg

I hope you're careful where you park, those could easily grow legs, kick out the rear windshield, and walk right off...

I hope you're careful where you park, those could easily grow legs, kick out the rear windshield, and walk right off...
I've had that thought many times. Fortunately I live in a good neighborhood:) With that said, they'll be gone tomorrow.

nice install
I personally would like them to be hidden
but looks good
and I hope you have proximity sensors for your alarm

I would have built a box with the subs firing upwards thru the holes in the deck, and recarpet the rear deck cover. One, it keeps the sun off the woofers and UV killing them, and outta sight, outta mind... Hang the amps off the back..

If you were closer, I'd even help you build it...

thats a cool install i was wanting to do the same thing but ended up going a different route. which fosgates are those? they look like p1s but i cant tell. look into sealing up your trunk seals and dynamat really good, isobaric installs have a nice flat sound but be careful with the amp gain

Hey Greg, did you make a mdf trim ring to put under the shelf to support the subs? Also, how is it secured?
Hey GMAN, No I didn't. The shelf was still very solid. I just had the subs lightly secured because I wasn't using them. But this is the kind of info I was looking for. Should I make one for each speaker and place them under the shelf with the subs secured to them? slowmkviii mentioned about having a proximity for my alarm, what does it do?

Last edited:
thats a cool install i was wanting to do the same thing but ended up going a different route. which fosgates are those? they look like p1s but i cant tell. look into sealing up your trunk seals and dynamat really good, isobaric installs have a nice flat sound but be careful with the amp gain
Thanks stlunatic, I thought they looked really good up there. They are just the P1's I will seal everything up and watch the gain. I'm more rock and roll and I think they give me all I need just the way they're set up. (isobaric) Is that the word for the type of install I did?

Hey GMAN, No I didn't. The shelf was still very sold. I just had the subs lightly secured because I wasn't using them. But this is the kind of info I was looking for. Should I make one for each speaker and place them under the shelf with the subs secured to them? slowmkviii mentioned about having a proximity for my alarm, what does it do?

I've been working on making a single 12 on the shelf. I made a Ring and glued it to the bottom of the shelf. Then I am going to take some fleece to cover the ring and the bottom of the shelf. Next take some Fiberglass resin and spread it over the fleece and the ring. It will make the shelf stronger.

A proximity switch is an add on to your alarm that will warn away anyone who gets to close to the vehicle by beeping eight times. If someone stays withing the proximity, it will go off. It's not so close that the person parked next to you will set it off, but the one that is leaning on your car or peeking inside.

If you take some PICS, I would appreciate you posting them or send them to me. I think I follow what your saying though. I was surprised the shelf was still so solid, it doesn't move at all. I think I will do the MDF thing, that should be good enough for my set up. Thank for the info about the proximity switch. Sounds like a good idea.

No problem. I will be doing a write up on it soon. You know, you can also install the subs from the bottom. The same thought process applies. Some vents need to be fabricated on the shelf somehow though. I'll be playing with this in the coming weeks.

I would have built a box with the subs firing upwards thru the holes in the deck, and recarpet the rear deck cover. One, it keeps the sun off the woofers and UV killing them, and outta sight, outta mind... Hang the amps off the back..

If you were closer, I'd even help you build it...

Thanks SATURN5 for the suggestions and the offer.

GMAN, again I appreciate the info. I'll keep an eye out, I would like to see how it turns out.

That looks tight!!!

Thanks! It's going to look identical to what's pictured when I get done except the next time you see it, it will be in the white car and I might add another 44 LED's, not sure yet. I have to do an interior swap to black and that includes the inside carpet and that's when I'll be running the 2 AWG power wire to the trunk. Once that's done, I'll be in the clear.

Thanks stlunatic, I thought they looked really good up there. They are just the P1's I will seal everything up and watch the gain. I'm more rock and roll and I think they give me all I need just the way they're set up. (isobaric) Is that the word for the type of install I did?

yeah isobaric is when theres no box and the trunk is basically the enclosure. i give you props for cutting through all the crap in the back, thats what made me not do it:D

I have the same amp for my W7. how are you running two subs off a mono amp?

I really like how that looks. I was suprised at how the sturdy the rear deck is too.
I cut up my rear tray and put four 6x9s back there.

If you make a port hole in your rear tray, you would get more bass.

If you make a port hole in your rear tray, you would get more bass.

you dont want to port an IB setup like this. the goal of one of these setups is SQ and flat response.

how are you running two subs off a mono amp?

it looks like he wired the 2 subs together, probably both 4 ohm speakers for a 2 ohm load at the amp.

yeah isobaric is when theres no box and the trunk is basically the enclosure. i give you props for cutting through all the crap in the back, thats what made me not do it:D

Ah.... No. Putting woofers in a deck and using the trunk as the enclosure is "free air".

Isobaric is where you either have two speakers facing each other in a push pull config, or have them stacked one in front of the other.

;)

Bob (IASCA Installation Judge 91-94), Rockford Fosgate "Top Gun" April 91.

Ah.... No. Putting woofers in a deck and using the trunk as the enclosure is "free air".

You are correct and most subs that are "free air" would be listed as such. Not many around anymore. Kicker, Pioneer and a few others had them but most of them have gone strictly with enclosures. With our back window shape and our trunk size, I would just get 1/2" or 5/8" plywood cut to fit and have the trunk lid arms cut out in the wood so that it will close easily. If that one section could be sealed off just a little, it would help and also look cleaner.

Carpet to match and you're done.

Members online

No members online now.
Back