Strut Rod Frame Bushings

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

When I first looked I thought these were fine. What do you guys think?

With everything apart (have removed the LCA) and it would just be the outer bolt (by frame) on the Strut Rod to change the frame bushings.

Being in this far I would just change them, but have heard aftermarket bushings do not last.

I have to change the LCA Strut Rod bushings and wasn't able to find all Ford, so do I put Ford bushings in for the Frame area and after market for LCA or go all aftermarket or leave as they are?

I think you need sleeves for the Ford Frame bushings or is that just for the LCA SR bushings?

I ask as I have seen many posts here that said you are better off sticking with the original Ford bushings than replacing with after market.

20150927_171338.jpg20150927_171352.jpg20150927_171423.jpg20150927_171438.jpg

20150927_171338.jpg

20150927_171352.jpg

20150927_171423.jpg

20150927_171438.jpg

Being in this far I would just change them, but have heard aftermarket bushings do not last.

I have to change the LCA Strut Rod bushings and wasn't able to find all Ford, so do I put Ford bushings in for the Frame area and after market for LCA or go all aftermarket or leave as they are?

ford bushings in the frame, and aftermarket at the LCA.
this works well enough. the aftermarket LCA bushings don't fail like the frame side bushings do.

Strut rod to K Member bushing:
Inner: FORD E9SZ-3B271-A (two required)
Outer: FORD F7SZ-3A225-AA (two required)

tasca is listing them in stock, so they are out there, and a set from them should run you about $30+shipping.

I would verify if you in fact need two of each when you order. One of my packages for the frame bushings came two to a pack and the other, one. So I only needed one package of one of them and then two of the other to do the whole front end. They were in original Ford packaging too so I don't know what the deal was with that.

every time i have ordered, 1 meant 1.
i have heard some of them are packaged in bags of 2, but are still sold individually.

Thanks guys!

Two questions:
- I take it that you all think mine (pics above) should be replaced?

- You need the sleeves (discontinued, think Jay or 98lincmk7lsc was making some?) for Ford K member bushings, yes?
(pic in this thread near the bottom)
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...ension-Work-Issue&highlight=upper+control+arm

And...
The same thing happened with my after market LCA bushings. Auto Zone box listed on the outside as 1pc. and on the site as one piece. So I had two sent to the store - one box had two bushings/washers and one sleeve and the other box with same exact printing had four bushings/washers and two sleeves.

I hope you didn't get aftermarket frame bushings. Ford OEM only. They are not made correctly and are prone to catastrophic failure. You can search and see several cases on this board alone, along with the thunderbird/cougar board that shares our chassis.

Thanks guys!

Two questions:
- I take it that you all think mine (pics above) should be replaced?

you might as well while your there right?

- You need the sleeves (discontinued, think Jay or 98lincmk7lsc was making some?) for Ford K member bushings, yes?
(pic in this thread near the bottom)
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...ension-Work-Issue&highlight=upper+control+arm

my sleeves were in good enough shape to reuse.
if your's are not, talk to Jay.

Well I hear you Chris. I'm thinking of the time that's all. By the time I get sleeves from Jay into Canada as well as the bushings, it would mostly likely be another week.

If mine would last to next summer I wouldn't mind replacing them them. With only 5 to 10K miles a year, I would think by looking at them that they would last two more years?

yeah they haven't seem to have collapsed yet.
they'll probably be alright for now.

Mine are both starting to crack/split. I really need to get in there and change them already :/

I've always got the parts in stock to make these. Unfortunately, don't always have the time to make them quickly.

When/if you're ready for them, they're $135 shipped, and I now stock the OEM bushings to go with them at an additional $45 a set.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've always got the parts in stock to make these. Unfortunately, don't always have the time to make them quickly.

When/if you're ready for them, they're $135 shipped, and I now stock the OEM bushings to go with them at an additional $45 a set.

Thanks, so curious how long to make a set? I'm not sure if mine are re-usable or not and if I decide to remove these to find out, I will need to know approximately how long for you to make a set. I may be going to NY in the next few weeks, so I could have them shipped there to save on shipping. It seems to cost double to cross the border and customs here is ridiculous. Had an item just sent here that converted to $21 CAD dollars and DHL charged my $14.25 in fees to give my gov't $3.09 in tax, what a joke. Had our dollar not been so low, it would have been under $20, and I wouldn't have been charged at all. So the one dollar over cost me an additional $19.19.

Thanks, so curious how long to make a set? I'm not sure if mine are re-usable or not and if I decide to remove these to find out, I will need to know approximately how long for you to make a set. I may be going to NY in the next few weeks, so I could have them shipped there to save on shipping. It seems to cost double to cross the border and customs here is ridiculous. Had an item just sent here that converted to $21 CAD dollars and DHL charged my $14.25 in fees to give my gov't $3.09 in tax, what a joke. Had our dollar not been so low, it would have been under $20, and I wouldn't have been charged at all. So the one dollar over cost me an additional $19.19.

My work schedule is really packed right now. I'm working 12-hour night shifts, 6 days a week, so it's a little uncertain. I would say about a week and a half from the time of payment would be a safe bet.

My work schedule is really packed right now. I'm working 12-hour night shifts, 6 days a week, so it's a little uncertain. I would say about a week and a half from the time of payment would be a safe bet.

Thanks, I have been working too many hours too. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. If I do decide to take the Strut rod off and check the sleeves/bushings, I will let you know if they can be reused (sleeves) or if I need a set.

Thanks, I have been working too many hours too. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. If I do decide to take the Strut rod off and check the sleeves/bushings, I will let you know if they can be reused (sleeves) or if I need a set.

Ok, just let me know.

I just finished the one LCA today. Work has not not let up yet.

I decided to wait with it now November and the Frame bushings looking okay. I took a closer look and I can see the edge of the sleeve, so I would think they would be fine to reuse when I need to change. I will check this next spring and if I do need a set will let you know.

I just did this job on my 97 Mark this past weekend, and it was a PAIN. To replace the front strut rod bushings I had to cut out the original sleeve with an angle grinder because it's 1 piece (seemed like the sleeve was rivited on the front side). I don't know if all the Marks came that way from the factory, or if some came with sleeves that could be separated and re-used. (I got my replacement sleeves from SPREE, though I know Jay's are really nice too).

I used Ford bushings for the front (found them online somewhere), and used ACDelco-branded bushings at the LCA. I don't know if the ACDelco ones are any different than other manufacturers (Like Moog, etc.) but that's what I got and everything went back together fine.

If you're going to do this job, replace everything at once. You don't want to do all that work and then have to tear it down again in another 6 months to replace something else.
I replaced LCA, UCA, tie rod ends, sway bar links, bushings at both ends of the strut rods. I even replaced my leaking/flat air shocks with StrutMaster coil springs and gas struts, and replaced the brakes. The steering is nice and tight now. :)

So I just replaced my SRBs and figured I'd post a pic. Does this look weird to anyone? It seems like it's taller than most of the ones I've seen. I torqued everything to spec though.

SRB.jpg

SRB.jpg

will you die immediately? probably not.
should you change it asap? yes you should.

With the washer not supporting the bushing, I would think you run the chance of damaging the new bushing. These are pretty hard to find, if you can at all, I searched for days with the help of others here and couldn't find all 4 of them.

So I would change it ASAP.

Ok I got it turned over. It's funny that on the washer it says, "THIS SIDE OUT". Of course I ignored that the first time.
I did put the other side on correctly though. :) How does this look?

driver.jpgpass.jpg

driver.jpg

pass.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back