Stroking the 4v

Any opinions? Worth the effort? Anyone done this? Blower instead?

Common strokes are 3.750 and 3.800. The mod motors don't get the big gains from stroke like the windsor engines. The deal is the 4.6 is square already bore and stroke. The wrist pin will intersect the oil ring and the longer stroke pulls the piston alot out of the bottom of the bore. Some peeps say hey my new forged kit will cost XX and stroker cost little bit more so why not. Also turbos spool better with the longer strokes.

It really depends on what you're doing with the rest of the engine. The longer stroke will typically limit you to 7K rpm, which can be a hindrance depending on the rest of the build. However, you will see a decent rwtq increase. The bottom edge of the wrist pin will drop 0.155" below the bottom of the cylinder with a 3.75" stroke, and 0.180" with a 3.80" stroke. That places the wristpin CL at 0.278" and 0.253" above the bottom of the cylinder, respectively, as opposed to 0.465" with a stock stroke crank. Therefore side load that the rod places on the lower cylinder wall is increased slightly with the longer stroke. However, there are thousands of Saleen's with this geometry and no apparent warranty issues. There are also thousands of us who have gone the stroker route and had nothing but good experiences. I run a 3.75" stroke Mahle piston/Manley rod rotating assembly from Livernois in my blown 4V.

Also, the wristpin does NOT intersect the oil control ring on any decent kit.

piston.jpg

It really depends on what you're doing with the rest of the engine. The longer stroke will typically limit you to 7K rpm, which can be a hindrance depending on the rest of the build. However, you will see a decent rwtq increase. The bottom edge of the wrist pin will drop 0.155" below the bottom of the cylinder with a 3.75" stroke, and 0.180" with a 3.80" stroke. That places the wristpin CL at 0.278" and 0.253" above the bottom of the cylinder, respectively, as opposed to 0.465" with a stock stroke crank. Therefore side load that the rod places on the lower cylinder wall is increased slightly with the longer stroke. However, there are thousands of Saleen's with this geometry and no apparent warranty issues. There are also thousands of us who have gone the stroker route and had nothing but good experiences. I run a 3.75" stroke Mahle piston/Manley rod rotating assembly from Livernois in my blown 4V.

Also, the wristpin does NOT intersect the oil control ring on any decent kit.

piston.jpg

Going to guess you have 1.200 CD and 5.850 rod?

No complaints from me. Built 5.0 stroker for the past couple years now, and it keeps on ticking :)

DSC00500.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

DSC00677.jpg

Pretty car and PRETTY engine!!!!!:D How much of a pain is it to build the 5.0 stroker? What kinda of horsepower would I be looking at?

Members online

No members online now.
Back