Steel Coils

olddavid

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have found a Thunderbird with the 4.6 and only 44k miles at a local wrecking yard. My bags and compressor are doing great, but for $100 I could have a backup plan. I've heard these work, and they look identical, but I want to hear from you guys before I pull the trigger. I'm not going to find lower mileage in the yard anytime soon. Thanks.

T-bird front springs are notorious for breaking, save the money for something better. Every once and a while a decently priced coil over kit will pop up here, $100 is too much for T-bird junk yard springs.

Yeah, either wait for a complete used kit to pop up or you can go to Rockauto, they have complete T-bird front struts for about $75 per side. If you can locate upper mounts you can get new rear springs for $60/pair.

I value hearing your experiences, that's why I ask before doing. I'm astounded that four good used springs for $100 is not a good usage of my money. If they were $50-75 would that make more sense - just as a back up plan? My intention is to always have air. It just seems so cool to be able to lower it at speed, and for my driving where the cloverleaf off-ramp at 60 is about as radical as I drive, it does fine. Besides, were all things equal, won't a full bushing re-do and new rear shocks make it handle as well as I would ever need? What is a fair price for a decent set of used bags? A local is advertising a parts car for $1000 that he says has head gasket "issues" but still runs. Overheats after 20-30 minutes. It's a twin for mine, however, and all seems operational. Even the lights. Spendy for just parts, but they don't make them anymore, either.

----
what's a STRUT? :confused:

Ask Thaywood.

I value hearing your experiences, that's why I ask before doing. I'm astounded that four good used springs for $100 is not a good usage of my money. If they were $50-75 would that make more sense - just as a back up plan? My intention is to always have air. It just seems so cool to be able to lower it at speed, and for my driving where the cloverleaf off-ramp at 60 is about as radical as I drive, it does fine. Besides, were all things equal, won't a full bushing re-do and new rear shocks make it handle as well as I would ever need? What is a fair price for a decent set of used bags? A local is advertising a parts car for $1000 that he says has head gasket "issues" but still runs. Overheats after 20-30 minutes. It's a twin for mine, however, and all seems operational. Even the lights. Spendy for just parts, but they don't make them anymore, either.

For 100 bucks I guess you could keep them around, just be aware of the spring issue and the fact that you'll still need rear upper perches.

If you have somewhere to store a parts car and it's in good shape minus the motor I'd say go for it. Might be a bit up front but you'd have an entire car to pick from when something on yours breaks.

It depends on the Springs that are on the T-Bird.. If they're the stock ones I'd leave em. I lucked out and found my Vogtlands on a T-Bird SC. So with that said.. What Springs were they?

Just because they're in a junk yard, doesn't mean they're junk
20130309_214326-1.jpg

If you are talking about getting both front shocks and springs/mount assemblies(just slid out of bird and slide right into MK8) and rear springs for 100 dollars that's a great deal and a good back up plan. I would buy that right now just to have waiting.

It depends on the Springs that are on the T-Bird.. If they're the stock ones I'd leave em. I lucked out and found my Vogtlands on a T-Bird SC. So with that said.. What Springs were they?

Just because they're in a junk yard, doesn't mean they're junk

Chances of that happening again are?

Obviously if their not the rusty stock ones grab em but if they are there not worth the time.

No, the second picture has coil-over shocks like the MN12/FN10. That suspension is from a Lincoln LS/Jaguar S-Type. The difference between a strut and a coil-over is that the strut mounts directly to the spindle and turns with the steering, requiring a bearing cap on top so that it doesn't scrape the strut tower as it turns. The strut acts as a damper, steering kingpin, and suspension locating link. The coil-over shock in the bottom pic is mounted directly to the lower control arm and does not turn with the steering. A shock acts only as a damper and does not affect steering or alignment. A MacPherson Strut can be a shock with a coil/air spring on top or the spring could be mounted separately (such as a Fox body). However, a coil-over shock is not a MacPherson strut by any stretch of the imagination.

:shifty: Don't get me started...please...:rolleyes:

No, the second picture has coil-over shocks like the MN12/FN10. That suspension is from a Lincoln LS/Jaguar S-Type. The difference between a strut and a coil-over is that the strut mounts directly to the spindle and turns with the steering, requiring a bearing cap on top so that it doesn't scrape the strut tower as it turns. The strut acts as a damper, steering kingpin, and suspension locating link. The coil-over shock in the bottom pic is mounted directly to the lower control arm and does not turn with the steering. A shock acts only as a damper and does not affect steering or alignment. A MacPherson Strut can be a shock with a coil/air spring on top or the spring could be mounted separately (such as a Fox body). However, a coil-over shock is not a MacPherson strut by any stretch of the imagination.

I win, you lose. :)

Chances of that happening again are?

Slim, but it could have something decent.. Or Strut Masters

Obviously if their not the rusty stock ones grab em but if they are there not worth the time.

I wouldn't pay $100 for used ones unless they were a decent brand. Ive got a set of SMs on Tokico Blues I'd sell for cheap

For $14 more you could just buy a brand new front and rear set of Moog springs from Amazon and it doesn't involve the hassle of pulling them off of a car.

http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CC861-Va...r=1994|1994&carId=012&n=15684181&s=automotive

http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CC888-Va...r=1994|1994&carId=012&n=15684181&s=automotive

I have no personal experience with Moog coils, but I don't think they could be worse than 15+ year old thunderbird springs.

In case anyone says anything, I know the ad says 'Spring', but I've contacted Moog before with the product code and ad and they assured me that they sell them in pairs.
'

I paid $237 shipped off ebay for my vogtland supercoupe springs and they were worth every penny. Granted i had the struts and rear coil plate already. But you could get the rear coil plate made at any shop or make your own

I love this site. I get an education in cars and semantics at the same time. All the opinions are valid for different reasons. I always appreciate hearing what you guys went through and what other avenues there are for parts and ways to repair. I am lucky enough to have a neighbor with a metal lathe he uses to make expensive pool cues. I am going to try to make the pieces I need for lights and suspension myself. I got the springs yesterday with a half price code for $40, so that is my in house insurance policy. The parts car ran fine and has new bushings and tie rods (inner and outer) and compressor. I am going to offer $650 because that is what it is really worth to me. We'll see. I'll know Thursday, as I want to have the cash when I see him. I know I've always had a hard time turning down actual money.

Members online

Back