Starting my new Project

For a mock up, who cares if he uses flux core? Yeah it splatters everywhere and can't lay a good bead for more than an inch, but a mock up doesn't have to look good.

I guess I just don't understand why you would try and save money when you would burn maybe $10 of gas on mock up and make a total mess for yourself to deal with....

Made good progress today. Tomorrow I'll drop the cradle and start installing the headers and new motor mounts. Looks like I need new UCA I couldn't leave them on the car as it was only a little extra work to remove them.

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00313.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

Well I used the welder for the first time and it looks fine with the flux core wire. Not sure why some are making it a big deal. By no means are the weld perfect but thats not the equipments fault. If some of you have had issues with the gas vs flux make sure the polarity is set right. I had that issue before when using gas but the machine was set for flux. Alot of spatter and holes looked like the metal was really dirty.

Any one know what size the cradle bolts are. E what 18?????? I thought I had the right socket cause it was the only external torx one I had. Of course its the wrong one and no one stocks them locally.

Use a 6 point 9/16" socket... fits perfect.

I personally hate flux core and think it makes a giant mess... but thats me.

Well for little tickie tack welds you will be fine.
When you go to run a bead you will want the gas.

:GotPics: of your welds?

Thanks KK

I know I shouldn't post a pic of this weld but I will. Keep in mind I'm not a welder but have melted some metal before. This is the very first and only weld with this machine as of yet. I had to see how bad it was going to be. I did clean the haze off with a striper wheel.

DSC00318.jpg

Looks good!!

I just can't stand the little splatter blobs everywhere... Looks like you might be a little low on heat...

Yeah not as bad as I was thinkin. I'll hit that with a flapper wheel. That was the first shot I went with 2 power and 35 speed and thats what I got.

Try clicking the heat up one level and see what happens if you have some extra material to work on.

Thats good advise. I will adjust the heat and speed I need to get back into it. The helmet wasn't the best either I had a light from behind and no light on the metal. Couldn't see worth a sh!t. I'm glad I don't have to spend that 200 bucks on a bottle now. they aint cheap.

No... no they are not... but once you have it you have it... I have 6 bottles in my garage total... and I wonder where all my money goes...

You think that you don't need good lighting but you need it bad!!!

Other things, the distance you hold the tip of the gun away from the metal is very important, less using flux core, but still very important.

When I weld tubing I like to take in 4 places and then weld the tubing in quarters as to not build too much heat.

Looks good!
If you get a bottle you won't regret it.
You will be surprised what you will find to weld.

Its 200 well spent IMHO.

C25 can be used for SS... experts will recommend something with a little helium in it for a little more heat but I have welded plenty of SS with C25 and all you need is the correct wire.

Your heat wasn't too low just testing it out. Better to be cold than burn through, via your weld only needs to be as thick as the thinnest piece of material you're welding to, so a somewhat cold bead is fine as long as it is still penetrating. If you guys want to try something fun try virtical-up core sometime. It's satanic, I have yet to understand the physics.

Not related to your project necessarily, but another tip besides anti-splatter/anti-spatter (whichever it's called, I always thought it was the latter), try dipping your nozzle in peanut oil when it's warm, not hot, not cold, warm, and clean, then let it 'drip dry' and you won't have to clean spatter for a long time, and when you do it will fall right out. I get about 3 solid hours of welding out of one dip running .5" beads on high carbon steel, regular mig,.. before it needs my attention again.

As everyone says, if you get a bottle, you can make that so clean and pretty that you'll wish you always had it.

Members online

Back