Started a little somethin

yes. and you will probably need to:

A. run a relay kit or
B. do the multifunction switch mod.

either way will keep the lows lit when you turn on the highs.
this is essential to keep from hot striking the HIDs and keeping them warm and lit.

hmm, ok. Gonna do a search on the multifunction switch mod, or is it easier to run a relay kit?

edit-- the multifunction switch mod looks like a lot of work, where can I get a relay kit and maybe directions on what to do? Thanks

relay is better. hands down. mine came from ebay. was for a cougar/tbird. the headlight plugs were almost the same, as they use 9006 bulbs. but i just cut down some tabs, and all was well.

If you can't find what you're looking for on E-Bay, there's this:
http://www.innovadd.com/bb.main.html

I think someone on here was recommending this system at one time (I know I bookmarked the website for a reason). If you get one off E-Bay, you want to make sure it does the same function as this kit (lets you keep your lows on when you turn on your highs).

I could be wrong, but that looks like just a simple relay harness that would control either just the lows or highs. I think you'd either need to modify that harness for it to do what you want it to or find another harness. That harness still gets its "remote" on/off function from the factory headlight plug, so if you use it on your lowbeams, the harness alone isn't going to change the lows turning off when you turn on the high beams.

EDIT: I could be wrong, and someone correct me if I am, but that's just how it looks to me at first glance. I'm not a wiring expert or anything, but I have put a few simple wiring harnesses like that on cars before (but the cars I was working on already had lows that stayed on with the highs from the factory).

I'm kinda confused. Do I really need the relay harness or can I just plug in the hid kit and be good to go? When I turn the high beams on, the low beams won't go on at the same time right, but when I turn the high beams off will the low beams go back on? I thought all I needed when we got these headlighs to re-do was new chrome, clean the lens and install an hid kit. If I really need the relay harness where do you recommend I get them (I'm assuming one per light), I have no clue where to look.

I'm kinda confused. Do I really need the relay harness or can I just plug in the hid kit and be good to go? When I turn the high beams on, the low beams won't go on at the same time right, but when I turn the high beams off will the low beams go back on?

On the setup you currently have, when you turn on your lowbeams, only your lowbeams will be on, and when you turn on your highbeams, only your highbeams will be on (your lows turn off when you turn on your highs). What you want to do is make it so that the lows stay on when you turn on the highs. This is better for your HID setup and it will last longer this way. If you've ever seen the Mark VIII's with factory HID's, their headlights are set up this way where the lowbeams stay on when you turn on the highs.

I thought all I needed when we got these headlighs to re-do was new chrome, clean the lens and install an hid kit. If I really need the relay harness where do you recommend I get them (I'm assuming one per light), I have no clue where to look.

Besides the link I gave above, I'm not sure. I'll have to get on E-Bay sometime when I get the time (which might be tomorrow; EDIT: I would look now, but I'm on a dialup connection, and E-Bay takes a while...) and look. Someone will probably be able to point you in the right direction before then, though. I would assume you could buy one harness that would take care of everything instead of having to buy one per light. You CAN run your lights without any further modification, but, I highly recommend that you either do the MF switch mod or, preferably, get a harness that does the same thing.

i did mine a little while back: 4300 kels in the lo's; 5000 kels in the highs... the 4200's look more like halogens ( alile ellowish, the 5000's are a litle cold/bluish...imo
-one kit was from VVME...that's a great product; used relays on both kits, highly recommend
....thankfully I found really good, clear, uncooked, used housings... so no rehab there
I did the MF sw mod....not too bad and really helps alot;
here's e link http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00096.html
my highs are super bright...too bright for oncoming traffic, and too slow for flashing anyone..so in hindsight I may have just left the highs as halogens...but they cook
sonds lke TrimBirte is the best choice for resurfacing
TAKE PICS as you go along..to share

That clears some of my confusion up, even if the high beams are rarely used I still would need the relay kit?

I may be wrong, but a relay will help anthing that requires power...it makes sure there is not a lack of power available when that switch gets opened up...so the brights will be brighter with a relay

Gotcha, but if I don't get the relay, the brights will be the same and I'll be able to use the low's as normal right?

Maybe not so much if you really don't use your highs very often, as far as putting wear on the HID system. The problem then would be that HID's need time to "warm up". They're not "instant-on" like halogen bulbs, so if you had been running your highs for a minute or two and the HID's were off during that time, when you went to turn the HID's back on, you would have a few seconds of very little light output. It may not bother you as bad if you're on well-lit city streets, but it won't work very well if you're anywhere else.

EDIT: This was in response to this:

That clears some of my confusion up, even if the high beams are rarely used I still would need the relay kit?

I may be wrong, but a relay will help anthing that requires power...it makes sure there is not a lack of power available when that switch gets opened up...so the brights will be brighter with a relay

+1 that's why I usually run relays with an HID kit. I've just never needed a relay like what 95mark needs right now that will keep the lows on with the highs. I've only used simple relays like the E-Bay links he posted.

Maybe not so much if you really don't use your highs very often, as far as putting wear on the HID system. The problem then would be that HID's need time to "warm up". They're not "instant-on" like halogen bulbs, so if you had been running your highs for a minute or two and the HID's were off during that time, when you went to turn the HID's back on, you would have a few seconds of very little light output. It may not bother you as bad if you're on well-lit city streets, but it won't work very well if you're anywhere else.

EDIT: This was in response to this:

This clears up some more haha. So basically if I rarely use the highs, and if I ever do its just to flash somebody to go ahead, and only stay on for maybe not even 10 seconds I should be good without a relay kit right? I don't plan on using the Highs for anything more than that, with newly rechromed headlights and an hid kit the high's should never be used except for flashing someone to go, for me anyways. To sum this all up, if the high's aren't used for a long period of time and only brief, the lows should work fine right. Thanks a lot maverick, really helped me out dude

I don't need the high's to stay on the same times as the low's, the high's won't really be used..

This clears up some more haha. So basically if I rarely use the highs, and if I ever do its just to flash somebody to go ahead, and only stay on for maybe not even 10 seconds I should be good without a relay kit right? I don't plan on using the Highs for anything more than that, with newly rechromed headlights and an hid kit the high's should never be used except for flashing someone to go, for me anyways. To sum this all up, if the high's aren't used for a long period of time and only brief, the lows should work fine right. Thanks a lot maverick, really helped me out dude

Yea, I think you should be fine if that's the only time you use the highs. If I remember correctly, if you just flash your highs by pulling the switch back towards you (instead of pushing it forward like you do to actually turn the highs on), the lows stay on anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

No problem, man! Glad I could help. I hope I steered you right about that relay from E-Bay you posted. Like I said, I'm not 100% sure that it won't work, but I don't think it will. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't need the high's to stay on the same times as the low's, the high's won't really be used..

BUT...you don't want the HID ballast/igniter on/off/on/off evey time the brights are fired....the steering column mod was not really that bad....I'm pretty slow: it took me about an hour, maybe 90 minutes b/c I like slow an easy sometimes :)
-now cutting the glove box wire to eliminate the 'check exterior lights' msg...I still haven't done that...yet

BUT...you don't want the HID ballast/igniter on/off/on/off evey time the brights are fired....the steering column mod was not really that bad....I'm pretty slow: it took me about an hour, maybe 90 minutes b/c I like slow an easy sometimes :)
-now cutting the glove box wire to eliminate the 'check exterior lights' msg...I still haven't done that...yet

Can you explain what I bolded. If I pull the switch back for not even 10 seconds then let it go, whats gonna happen to the low beams? The high beams won't stay on for more than 10 seconds like I said. I've seen a bunch of threads where people just get the hid kit, plug it in and they're good to go.

You right maverick, if the brights are pulled back while the low's are on, both hi & low are on. So like i said, just flashing the brights really quick shouldn't affect the low beams right?

Can you explain what I bolded. If I pull the switch back for not even 10 seconds then let it go, whats gonna happen to the low beams? The high beams won't stay on for more than 10 seconds like I said. I've seen a bunch of threads where people just get the hid kit, plug it in and they're good to go.

He means it's alot of wear and tear on your HID system when you turn it on and off alot. It's much better for the HID's to stay on for extended periods of time as opposed to being switched on and off frequently. That's what I was trying to say earlier about wearing out your HID system as well.

Now, assuming I'm remembering correctly (and it's been over 4 years since I drove my '93 Mark), and the lows stay on when you pull the switch back to flash your highs (instead of pushing it forward where it "clicks" and the highs stay on), you should be fine. I'd still recommend AT LEAST the MF switch mod, though, but, theoretically, you might be able to get by without it if you really wanted to.

You right maverick, if the brights are pulled back while the low's are on, both hi & low are on. So like i said, just flashing the brights really quick shouldn't affect the low beams right?

I believe so. If the lows stay on the whole time and don't go off at all (even momentarily) when you're pulling the switch back, then I think you should be okay. I haven't looked at the MF switch mod in YEARS, but, if I remember correctly, all it basically does is the same thing when you push the switch forward and it clicks and holds in place as it does when you pull the switch back on a stock MF switch.

Members online

Back