SST conversion....awesome!

So why would someone replace the automatic when they could just shift from D5 down to 4, 3, 2, 1, or whatever gear they need for the road conditions?

I for one like a clutch when shifting or for a "howdy" rev of the engine. Plus the SST just feels a little akward after driving MTs

n8bachelor said:
So how much time are we talking about here guys? This is something I am definately interested in. I want one just like the picture (04 with light interior). Is all the work done inside the car or will I have to get under it to hook things up? Is this the only part required to make the car behave as if it had the option installed from the factory?
The shifter is the only part that's required. You have to disassemble the center console, but the only thing you have to do under the car is disconnect the shifter linkage before you remove the old shifter and reconnect it after you install the new one.

That's all; the SST code is in all auto-equipped LS PCMs, so once you install the SST shifter and connect everything, SST will work.

If you don't get the PCM reflashed, shifting into D4 will go to 3rd gear instead of D4 (or does it shift into D4 and show 3rd on the dash?), because on the non-SST, D4 is to the right of D5 and 3rd is the next notch back. I never use D4, so that's not a consideration for me.

pbslmo said:
So why would someone replace the automatic when they could just shift from D5 down to 4, 3, 2, 1, or whatever gear they need for the road conditions?
Because when you're in SST mode, the transmission becomes an SMG (sequential manual gearbox); it won't shift until you tell it to shift. It also eliminates mis-shifting--you can't accidentally go from D4 to 2nd or from 2nd to D4 when you want to go to 3rd.

Having driven both, SST beats the non-SST hands-down. No question about it. Not even close. End of story.

n8bachelor said:
So how much time are we talking about here guys? This is something I am definately interested in. I want one just like the picture (04 with light interior). Is all the work done inside the car or will I have to get under it to hook things up? Is this the only part required to make the car behave as if it had the option installed from the factory?

thanks,
n8
Didnt you beat me on ebay several months ago for an sst shifter? If so I thought you would have installed it by now

SoonerLS said:
Having driven both, SST beats the non-SST hands-down. No question about it. Not even close. End of story.

+1 +1 +1. I love SST. Only on rare occasion's will I drive in D5 or D4. I like manual transmissions, but hate them in stop and go traffic. This eliminate's that problem. I also use it as, so to say, an engine brake. If I'm approaching a car too fast, I let off the gas and bump it down into 4th, and very seldom have to touch the brake itself. The only problem I have is when you slow down to around 10 MPH in 3rd, then ease back on the gas. Mine seems to have an intermediate gear between 2nd and 3rd. You can feel what you think is a shift, and watch the RPM's drop about 500, but you're still in 3rd. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Yeah I noticed the same thing, a weird occurance in 3rd gear. I dont know what it is either.
For that other guy, the time it took to install was only about an hour and it is not difficult at all if you have any previous experience with taking the interior of your car apart. There is a write up made somewhere on here that is very helpful.
Late,
Elisha

pbslmo said:

Wait, WAIT! I know the answer. So you can say your car has "Esss Esss Tee". :rolleyes:

SoonerLS said:
Because when you're in SST mode, the transmission becomes an SMG (sequential manual gearbox); it won't shift until you tell it to shift. It also eliminates mis-shifting--you can't accidentally go from D4 to 2nd or from 2nd to D4 when you want to go to 3rd.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "SMG" refers to computer controlled manual transmissions that use a CLUTCH instead of a torque converter and behave like an automatic due to the computer taking care of the shifting and clutching via hydraulics. All SST is, is a fancy way to control the up/down shifting of the auto trans. The way all the marketing guys rave about this, you'd think they never heard of a Hurst Dual-Gate (the original "SST"). This is NOTHING NEW. If you are having problems putting the shifter where it NEEDs to be for the driving conditions, you've got no buisness driving in "manual" mode anyway.

TheRebel said:
I for one like a clutch when shifting or for a "howdy" rev of the engine. Plus the SST just feels a little akward after driving MTs

I agree, there's just no substitute for a 3-pedal manual transmission. I'm still struggling to understand what the big deal is. SST doesn't make the car any faster. You can hold gears just as long w/ a non-SST shifter (it just doesn't look as "cool" in your console, BFD). In fact, SST has what I'd consider a major downside that the non-SST car's don't have, that's the tricky "two-step" process you have to do to get the car to start off in 1st gear. No "real" upsides (besides perceived cosmetics) and a major downside, and you pay EXTRA for THIS?? Screw SST IMO.

Boomhower said:
+1 +1 +1. I love SST. Only on rare occasion's will I drive in D5 or D4. I like manual transmissions, but hate them in stop and go traffic. This eliminate's that problem. I also use it as, so to say, an engine brake. If I'm approaching a car too fast, I let off the gas and bump it down into 4th, and very seldom have to touch the brake itself. The only problem I have is when you slow down to around 10 MPH in 3rd, then ease back on the gas. Mine seems to have an intermediate gear between 2nd and 3rd. You can feel what you think is a shift, and watch the RPM's drop about 500, but you're still in 3rd. Haven't figured that one out yet.

More than likely thats the torque convertor locking up like its supposed to.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
Wait, WAIT! I know the answer. So you can say your car has "Esss Esss Tee". :rolleyes:

:D
All SST is, is a fancy way to control the up/down shifting of the auto trans. The way all the marketing guys rave about this, you'd think they never heard of a Hurst Dual-Gate (the original "SST"). This is NOTHING NEW. If you are having problems putting the shifter where it NEEDs to be for the driving conditions, you've got no buisness driving in "manual" mode anyway.

I agree, there's just no substitute for a 3-pedal manual transmission. I'm still struggling to understand what the big deal is. SST doesn't make the car any faster. You can hold gears just as long w/ a non-SST shifter (it just doesn't look as "cool" in your console, BFD). In fact, SST has what I'd consider a major downside that the non-SST car's don't have, that's the tricky "two-step" process you have to do to get the car to start off in 1st gear. No "real" upsides (besides perceived cosmetics) and a major downside, and you pay EXTRA for THIS?? Screw SST IMO.

I agree.

Boomhower said:
Mine seems to have an intermediate gear between 2nd and 3rd. You can feel what you think is a shift, and watch the RPM's drop about 500, but you're still in 3rd. Haven't figured that one out yet.
2nd gear is really 1st gear plus overdrive, so when you make the transition between 2nd and 3rd, the transmission is actually doing a double shift. That's why it feels funny.

SoonerLS said:
2nd gear is really 1st gear plus overdrive, so when you make the transition between 2nd and 3rd, the transmission is actually doing a double shift. That's why it feels funny.

I'm not bashing the mod, but why do this and have "funny feelings" of double clutching/shifting? Why I remember driving a 65 valiant (3 on the tree) that had to double clutch.

Good luck to all of you. Happy Holidays.:)

SoonerLS said:

But I'm not in 2nd. I'm in 3rd, at low speeds (10 MPH) and low RPM's.

I only use this feature at the track. The trans seems to have alot harder shifts in SST mode which improves times.

pbslmo said:
I'm not bashing the mod, but why do this and have "funny feelings" of double clutching/shifting? Why I remember driving a 65 valiant (3 on the tree) that had to double clutch.
That has nothing to do with the mod; the only difference between the SST and non-SST is the shifter. The tranny itself is the same, and the 5R55N and 5R55S are both like that.

Boomhower said:
But I'm not in 2nd. I'm in 3rd, at low speeds (10 MPH) and low RPM's.
Yeah, sorry. I misread what you wrote.

Sorry not to bash the folks that love the SST, but it isn't an SMG nor is it even close.
An SMG is just what it says a sequential-shift manual gearbox. They have been around for years. Motorcycles have them, rally cars use them, some drag cars use them, racing sports cars, formula race cars and more. All that it means is that the shift mechanism moves up or down one gear each time it is moved. There is no potential to miss a gear or skip a gear it always follows the seguence up or down.
Many of them are starting to appear with no-clutch shifting electronic additions to allow the shifting to be even faster for most people. Even those are worlds away from the cludge that is the SST.
I had hoped for a short while the when the xcal was announced that Torrie or SCT would actually take on the task of properly reprogramming the sst to really act like a manual, but I guess that was expecting too much.

Why when every time someone posts about SST - (they spent time doing the conversion and like it) - a bunch of people jump on them?

It's not a manual (who said it was?), it's not perfect (who said it was?) heck all he said was that he is glad he did it and was enjoying it.......

There is no other option - right now. If you are going to shift - it is much more useful than shifting between the gears using the standard shifter.

hey Lou, I hope you did not mis-understand me.

I did not take a swipe at the OP of this thread.
I was dumping on the people who act like the sst is a manual though.
It is not a manual as you pointed out, and some of us feel it is a real let down.
It is better than nothing but a D5 selection, and I believe it could be much closer to a manual than it is. That is were I feel most disappointed in the SST. Like so many things built today, the concept is terrific, but the final production version is so diluted that the value of the original concept is long lost.
Its just like Traction and Stability controls in the LS, they had the potential to make a really good driver a great one. Yet they were so overdone and oversensitive that instead a good driver can end up fighting them.
I sometimes wish I was just another undertrained average car driver, then I would not know how good cars could be!

no worries....

I was hoping you would tackle the manual swap - I'll tackle the torsen diff ;)

Sounds all good to me Lou.
I've got some more of the parts for the first swap coming this week.
Its slow gathering the parts with the current cash flow, but we keep moving forward.

is the sst conversion kit available for the 2000 LS V8? if so who can point me in the right direction of where to find one. and how much do they run

JES_LS said:
hey Lou, I hope you did not mis-understand me.

It is not a manual as you pointed out, and some of us feel it is a real let down.
It is better than nothing but a D5 selection, and I believe it could be much closer to a manual than it is. That is were I feel most disappointed in the SST. Like so many things built today, the concept is terrific, but the final production version is so diluted that the value of the original concept is long lost.
Its just like Traction and Stability controls in the LS, they had the potential to make a really good driver a great one. Yet they were so overdone and oversensitive that instead a good driver can end up fighting them.
I sometimes wish I was just another undertrained average car driver, then I would not know how good cars could be!

How??

The auto in the LS can never be made to act like a manual. Faster shifts? Maybe. Shift like a manual? Never. The SST shifter allows you to hold a gear right up to the rev limiter without an up-shift, and start out in up to 3rd gear. The mechanicals are still a conventional auto.

Members online

Back