SST conversion....awesome!

IamEli

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
SO i just got a SST shifter off of ebay the other day, (only $66 shipped for the shifter and the whole middle console that matches my interior color). So i just put it in today, with the help of the SST Conversion Instructions from somewhere on here, and it is sweet. I love the freedom of being able to shift like that. It only took me about an hour and most of that time I spent under the car trying to get that stupid yellow clip to work right. Anyways, its sweet and I like it and it was easy to do anyone could do it. Just thought I would let you all know, another successful SST conversion.
Later,
Elisha

Now don't go telling us of this SWEEET!! mod and not show before/after pics :).. There are acouple of people who have done the SST mod. QuikLS (of course) and I think GreyGhost has.. I plan on doin this mod after Christmas..

SHOOOOW MEEEE THHHEEE PIIIICCSSSS!!!!

hahaha.. alright, alright you two.. You got me.. I'm from Texas. But a Texan can dream can't he!?

Adding the SST shifter to my LS was the one of the top 5 items I added to my LS. If you don't have it then I'd highly recommend the swap out.

GrayGhost1 said:
Adding the SST shifter to my LS was the one of the top 5 items I added to my LS. If you don't have it then I'd highly recommend the swap out.

I agree. I drive in SST mode 100% of the time.

I agree with GrayGhost1 its one of the top 5 items I added to my LS. And u have to put the wood shifter on it too.

But w/ (and if) you have the XCAL2 and a tune from torrie.. Would you even need to have the SST? Since the SST shifts when you want it to shift, could you not just program those shift points in w/ the XCAL??? I thought I heard that comment flying around here somewhere.

what if you dont know where to pick up an sst? i've always wanted one on my ls. can someone point me in the right direction?

I've seen a couple of threads on this subject - how come nobody has posted any pics ?

i got mine from Torrie @ fastpartsnetwork.com - SST Shifter Assembly #7210 – YW4Z-7210-FB Genuine Ford SST shifter about $250

I got mine for $50 from someone on this site in March.

I will see if I can find the pics of my install

NickLS said:
But w/ (and if) you have the XCAL2 and a tune from torrie.. Would you even need to have the SST? Since the SST shifts when you want it to shift, could you not just program those shift points in w/ the XCAL??? I thought I heard that comment flying around here somewhere.

true the the XCal can tune your shift points to match what you are looking for - but it's not the same as shifting yourself. Having a better shifting automatic is the XCal - shifting yourself is the SST.

NYC LSv8 said:
what if you dont know where to pick up an sst? i've always wanted one on my ls. can someone point me in the right direction?
Try eBay, Bill Jenkins at Team Ford (TeamFord; see the banner ad on the right side of the forum), or Torrie McPhail at FastPartsNetwork. eBay is probably going to be the least expensive of the lot by far; Team Ford and FastPartsNetwork are going to have new Ford parts, and the SST shifter is not exactly inexpensive.

Sweet shiftin thingy!!! Just kiddin....I refer to it a lot as the sport shift transmission, but I think it is actually called select shift transmission. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

i just bought mine today from Bill at Team Ford, i could not find one on ebay, got it for half price of what the dealer wanted

I saw that thread, but it has no pics of the finished install. I'v never seen so many people talk about such a great thing, then no one even posts a picture of what it looks like ........

Here's a picture of an SST shifter in an '04 LS. It's factory-installed, but it looks exactly like the SST conversion will look in a 2nd gen LS. In a 1st gen LS, the shifter surround is the same shape as the non-SST surround, just with the SST shifter pattern (which is the same as below).

SST-shifter.jpg

Much thanks for the pic. So if you slide the shifter into the slot on the right, forward makes an up-shift and backward makes a down-shift like a manu-matic ?

Yupp, that exactly how it works. Its really nice to be able to choose the right gear for the driving condition. I love driving MTX, so this was a must have upgrade.
BTW, i got my shifter off of ebay, they pop up there occasionally, you just have to keep your eyes open. the company LKQ on ebay often has them from wrecked or damaged cars.
Late,
Elisha

So how much time are we talking about here guys? This is something I am definately interested in. I want one just like the picture (04 with light interior). Is all the work done inside the car or will I have to get under it to hook things up? Is this the only part required to make the car behave as if it had the option installed from the factory?

thanks,
n8

Members online

No members online now.
Back