Spray Dye Leather Interior

Eurythmian

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have good luck with matching color and redying their leather with OEM sprays available on the internet?

I found this site: http://www.bryndana.com/

They have the Ford "Camel" and "Dk. Stone" spray dye I need. I just need to touch up a spot on the drivers bulster and an area on the steering wheel.

Has anyone tried this before?

I have a place on my steering wheel as well. Often been tempted to do it myself.

Check out this place www.leatherique.com their leather care products are second to none. I haven't used the dye yet but the cleaner and conditioner is fantastic. I am buying a 96 Vette with a black leather interior that needs to be cleaned and conditioned. When I get it I can do a little "how to" with photos if anyone is interested.

another option. Go to your local autobody supply place. They sell pro stuff like SEM in a can works. SEM is the brand..and they sell various colors of spray. Light Graphite is probably going to be the closest for the light gray LS leather. You also want a can of Bulldog Adhesion promoter.

Generally speaking: Clean your surface thoroughly with dawn and water (dont soak)..and scrub. Let dry. Scrub again. rinse with damp cloth. Let dry thoroughly. Rub surface thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. Let dry. Follow directions on the spray can of Bulldog. Then follow directions on can of SEM.

I've done this for tan headrests from the junkyard and a year later still looks fantastic.

For something that you are constantly sitting on or grabbing with oily, salty hands? Not sure how long anything like this will really hold up....

I bought some dye here for my dove gray leather and it matches perfectly. The only thing is the bottle says BMW. Hmmmmmm.......

I have a spot on the driver's side bolster as well that needs dying. I wonder if that would work? I had my steering wheel re-done last year thanks to the Florida sun destroying it.

I actually called and spoke to a person at "ColorBond" and he guaranteed the color will match. So I ordered 2 cans of the Camel and one of the Dk. Stone.

I can't wait to use it. I re-dyed a friend's interior and it looked amazing. My leather is all in perfect condition, there are just areas on the outer bolster which are showing a little wear.
62.00 with shipping for 3 cans.

Can't wait.

ColorChart.jpg

Please post results! I have some spots in my car pissing me off. Meguairs cleaner left a huge "dry" spot on my headrest and steering wheel and the cleaner/conditioner combo turned my black to a faded blue-ish black on my driver's seat.

I hate it when I'm trying to do the better good for my car and turns out I make things worse. :slam

Sorry it took me so long... here are a few cell phone pics of my seats after refinishing them. I can tell you this product is amazing! Made them look totally new.
Sorry for the poor photo quality... these were taken with my cell phone in the garage. Trust me when I say it is an exact match and they look and feel completely new.

Divers_seat_1.jpg

Divers_seat_2.jpg

Divers_seat_3.jpg

Divers_seat_4.jpg

Pass_Seat_1.jpg

Pass_Seat_2.jpg

Wow, turned out really good. I've done this with vinyl dye as a temp solution in my mustang and it definitely didn't look this good

That looks great!! I will be ordering some too!

So you just clean the seats and spray the color on? Was it messy? Did you had to cover the interior to prevent over spray?

Is this permanent? or will it rub off over time and you will have to reapply it every so often.

More info on the application process please. Im deff in need of some of this stuff. Your seats look great!

How many cans did you end up using?

Is this permanent? or will it rub off over time and you will have to reapply it every so often.

This....i dont wanna have a gray butt if i use it on mine.

All my seats are new just the drivers needs it.

i dont think it will get you or your clothes grey, but it absoltely will wear out over time. Looks great at first..but over time? It will wear away. May take 3 months..may take over a year. Depends on your use..and also what you usually wear. ie..slacks? Not much wear. Lots of jeans with rivets and what not? Expect faster wear.

I wonder if it'd work on a steering wheel. Part of mine is discolored.

That looks great!! I will be ordering some too!

So you just clean the seats and spray the color on? Was it messy? Did you had to cover the interior to prevent over spray?

I did cover the dash, wheel and console with 50 gallon trash bags. There is over spray... but not bad. The prep time takes longer than the actual refinishing. Just take your time and put on lite coats. Wait 5 minutes and apply the next coat. I cleaned the seats with rubbing alcohol and made sure all oil and grim was removed. If your seats are clean to begin with like mine were, this won't be that much work. I used 2 cans on my front seats and have a 3rd can for future if needed. You will need to order a minimum of 3 cans to place an order. Was around 61.00 including shipping.

If you feel the need, it would be super easy if you removed your seats to do this. But then you have all of that time involved with removing and putting them back in. I did it the easy way.

I wonder if it'd work on a steering wheel. Part of mine is discolored.

Yes it will work on the steering wheel. Anything leather.
My streering wheel is Dk Stone (color to order).

I actually called the number on the website and spoke to Malcom. What he told me was - this product is very close to the actual product used when the leather is dyed originally. It bonds to the original dye and leather and will not rub off. It will wear like the original color did over time...

You guys will be amazed at how much it improves the look feel of your seats.

YES!!! So glad it worked out for you! I definitely need to order this stuff pronto because my leather has been buggin' the hell out of me.

Did it smooth out minor/major wrinkles Eurythmian?

more good info

go to youtube and check out the instructions for leather dying from a guy who does seats for a dealership. he shows you how to do it and the results on some old Jag seats, they look like new! how do you think dealerships get their used car seats looking so good? Some spray dye. check out youtube.

will this work if used on the perforated sections of the leather? it won't "clog up" the holes will it?

I used the SEM light graphite

will this work if used on the perforated sections of the leather? it won't "clog up" the holes will it?
I used SEM spray color light graphite, cleaned the seats with alcohol first to get all the grime and dirt off, used painters blue tape to tape off the seat and an old sheet to cover the interior. Many coats of light sprays and over night drying time, it looks great. No fading or chipping.

Members online

Back