speed limiter

jpd

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Can and how do you undo the speed limiter on a 2002 LS? I've noticed my car seems to stop accelerating at the 120 ish.

Thanks
John

If I remember correctly, the X-Cal is the only way to do it... Maybe somebody else will correct or agree with me....

I googled X-cal and didn't find it. Is X-cal not the full name?

Thanks
John

on my 01 the highest i got was 130 b4 i had the xcal. i hit 150 after, i alwasy thought the limiter was at 143.... thats what i tried to get in mine and after i loked down i saw 150 and slowed down.

on my 01 the highest i got was 130 b4 i had the xcal. i hit 150 after, i alwasy thought the limiter was at 143.... thats what i tried to get in mine and after i loked down i saw 150 and slowed down.

Cool what model X-cal did you get?

I don't my 2005 CBR 600 rr was of 15% lol

I believe the manufacturers do that on purpose.... so you'll slow down!

To the best of my knowledge the LS has an accurate speedometer. Provided you have not changed the overall tire diameter with oversized wheels & tires.

From personal experience the 03+ LS V6 top speed is 132 from the factory. I do not have the X-Cal, but would like to get one in the future.
Speed limiters are there for a reason. They typically match the speed rating on the OEM tires.... In case of my car, H speed rated tires are good for 130mph.

Now that the question has been asked I'll have to check my Lincoln's speedo with my GPS. I'll do it tonight when I get home.

15% is very typical of most speedo's, but the one's taken off the ABS are more accurate, but not that accurate. GPS is the only true over ground device to use, I hope they are more accurate than that...jpd, please let us know what you find out.
Also, we have those neihborhood radar "Your Speed Is" signs all over the place, and at 25mph indicated, the sign says 23. I think that's the sign,....but not sure.

Can and how do you undo the speed limiter on a 2002 LS? I've noticed my car seems to stop accelerating at the 120 ish.
Thanks
John

Use the SEARCH function - there are many threads on this that will help you.

Search for 'limiter' or 'sct flasher' - there is lots of reading.

15% is very typical of most speedo's, but the one's taken off the ABS are more accurate, but not that accurate. GPS is the only true over ground device to use, I hope they are more accurate than that...jpd, please let us know what you find out.
Also, we have those neihborhood radar "Your Speed Is" signs all over the place, and at 25mph indicated, the sign says 23. I think that's the sign,....but not sure.

I'll let you know tonight.

Use the SEARCH function - there are many threads on this that will help you.

Search for 'limiter' or 'sct flasher' - there is lots of reading.

I did a search on speed limiter and found lots of my car goes xxx mph. I'll serch some more thanks.

John

I don't my 2005 CBR 600 rr was of 15% lol

Motorcycles are notorious for reading faster than they are actually traveling.... especially sport bikes. Again manufacturers do this intentionally.

The only way for a CAR to measure its speed is to calculate it based on the tires angular velocity (revolutions per minute) and a predetermined tire circumference (diameter X PI). The error inherant in this is that speed is calculated and not directly measured. This error is further exaggerated by tire wear.

For example:
My car is riding on 225/55-R16 Bridgestone Potenza G009. According to Bridgestone these tires have the following specifications:
diameter of 25.8 inches when new
Revolution per Mile of 807 (which translates to a bald diameter of 24.9915")
and a tread depth of 11mm (0.43307")

Lets compare new tires (D=25.8576") to bald tires (D=24.9915") traveling at an indicated speed of 60 mph. Assuming the vehicle is using the standard tire diameter of 25.7" for that size tire the car will actually be traveling 0.61% faster (60.3mph) with new tires and 2.76% slower (58.3mph) with bald ones.

But hey we're not making watches here. For all intents and purposes the car's calculated velocity is the same as its actual velocity assuming the wheels/tires are the OEM size.

Any speedo that is controlled by a turning cable, will be horribly wrong. However, the LS, with its speed calc'd off of the abs, electronically, SHOULD be better, but we will see. jpd will give us the down low, when he makes his GPS run. Personally, I hope they are dead on, but I know it wont be...hope I am wrong.

OK I did the GPS run and I'm surprised to say that I didn't see and variance from the car to the GPS untill the 90 Mph test. At that point the GPS read 89.4 and the car was indicating 90 with the cruise on. I would have gone faster however it's raining like mad here. I do have very new factory 235/50 R17 and they're properly inflated. So if the data that I collected is true the speedo is of by .0067 % (fast). That being said if my car was indicating 140 Mph the actual speed would be 139.1 Mph. That seems good to me!

John

From what I've seen/read, bone stock, the LS's speedo generally reads roughly 2mph faster than the car is going (eg, when the speedo says 62mph, the car is really going ~60mph). That was also my experience on my '04, that indicated speed was about 2mph faster than actual speed (timed over known distances). I haven't bothered to check my '06.

Awesome John, Thanks!
Its good to know that with stock stuff, its real close....dead on enough for govt work.

Just to piggyback on the speed noted, I got 134 indicated out of my V8 as well as a Hertz V8 rental before the limiter said 'no more'.

Members online

Back