So what would cause this thing to explode?

MediumD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Pic attached is (most) of a crank reluctor wheel from my friend's 97 LSC. It doesn't appear to have done much other damage, fortunately. But the question I have is... why would a solid piece of metal that's not load bearing in any way just randomly explode?

Oh, and since we're already at this stage in the project... anybody seen a cheap Cobra manifold for sale?

crank reluctor wheel.jpg

ive read of that happening to mustang cobras, i believe its because they are powdered metal....i could be wrong its been a while since ive read about it. if i can find the book ill read it over again and post back

dead mark you are right, I Have a book on modular ford 4v motors and their strong spots and weak spots, this is the weakests spot int the motor, it is made of powdered metal and should be upgraded as soon as that timing cover comes off

dead mark you are right, I Have a book on modular ford 4v motors and their strong spots and weak spots, this is the weakests spot int the motor, it is made of powdered metal and should be upgraded as soon as that timing cover comes off

Anyone other than Accufab make a replacement? This car does see high RPMs pretty often, and I don't really want to put another powdered metal piece of :q:q:q:q in it.

Edit: I guess MMR does, but that's a pretty expensive piece...

Last edited:
Not that we can tell, doesn't look like anything's ever been opened up on this motor. Well, it did just see an impact when we pulled the balancer bolt.

Yeah, if they can make a timing gear, flex plate, pulleys, crankshaft, etc that actually have outside force acting upon them that DON'T explode... they should be able to make a wheel that does nothing but spin that doesn't explode.

I'd rather impact it off than use any of the other tricks I've heard of so far. If you have a good method, post it up.

I have impacted every crank pulley bolt I have ever removed... if a huge ass bolt going into a giant solid chunk of metal are that weak well... it's :q:q:q:q to begin with.

i too have also used an impact to get them off, always......putting in them back on is the important part, torque it right and everything..............

Members online

Back