So what do you think of Condi being the 1st black President?

VP is the man

Amendment XX
Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

Section 2. The Congress shall assemble at least once in every year, and such meeting shall begin at noon on the 3d day of January, unless they shall by law appoint a different day.

Section 3. If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

Section 4. The Congress may by law provide for the case of the death of any of the persons from whom the House of Representatives may choose a President whenever the right of choice shall have devolved upon them, and for the case of the death of any of the persons from whom the Senate may choose a Vice President whenever the right of choice shall have devolved upon them.

Section 5. Sections 1 and 2 shall take effect on the 15th day of October following the ratification of this article.

Section 6. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several states within seven years from the date of its submission.

The way that I take this is that the Vice President was in charge before Obama got it right. As that the VP was sworn in moments before the President.
So show me where you are getting your information. If you are right and can prove it then I can handle it.

but can you, Handle It? Uh Can ya? I was just wondering if you can not a biggie if you cant but I was curious

According to the 20th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, the terms of the President and Vice President end at noon on January 20th, and the terms of their successors begin at that same moment. Therefore, George W. Bush ceased being president at precisely noon, and Barack Obama became president at noon.

What he said. Nice try, MonsterMark.

He did it again probably so people wouldn't have any (even false) basis to challenge his title. I don't know for sure though - I'm not him. :)

But it doesn't really matter now, anyway...

The way that I take this is that the Vice President was in charge before Obama got it right. As that the VP was sworn in moments before the President.
So show me where you are getting your information. If you are right and can prove it then I can handle it.

You are correct.

But Biden was also late being sworn in (12:03) so that made Condi acting President for all of 3 minutes. But once Biden was sworn, he was good. AND, he did a great job I thought reciting his oath. I was impressed to tell the truth.

A constitutional law (lawyer buddy) of mine had been going back and forth. I thought Justice Roberts had done it intentionally to buy time to challenge Obama on his eligibility. (Wishful thinking I guess). My bud had to look it up himself when I made the claim. I will admit I thought it was Piglosi at first as she is 3rd in line, but then we ran across that fact that she couldn't hold two posts at the same time. That led to Condi.

For what it is worth, Clinton was also late for his swearing in. Something about Dems and that piece of paper called the Constitution.

What he said. Nice try, MonsterMark.
What are you confused about. Obama had to be sworn in prior to 12:00 noon. Until then, he was another Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.:D

He did it again probably so people wouldn't have any (even false) basis to challenge his title. I don't know for sure though - I'm not him. :)
That is EXACTLY why he had to do a do-over. The pressure was on. Trust me on this one. It left the door open to all sorts of nasty little problems.
But it doesn't really matter now, anyway...
It does matter. We have a Usurper in office and that little inconvenient fact hasn't been dealt with yet.

What are you confused about. Obama had to be sworn in prior to 12:00 noon. Until then, he was another Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.:D

Now that would make a hilarious political carton. :D

No, about the 20th Amendment -- The point, I believe, is that the power transfers at that moment as the voters (rather the electoral college) wished it to. The new administration goes in and the and one goes out. So even if he was effectively powerless until he re-took the oath, he was still the president.

By "it doesn't matter" I mean that we have a new president now, and it's as official as it can get at this point. So even if Condi were president for a few minutes, she's not any more. All that Obama loses is the honor of being first. That may get under the skin of some libs, but expect most democrats don't really care that much because their guy is in office now. (It's true -- I saw a picture of him in the Oval Office!)

...and if he is a usurper, then I would expect checks and balances deal with that issue. That's the type of thing that separation of powers is supposed to address...

Biden VP at 11:58 am

President Barack Obama
First African-American president takes office
By TODD SPANGLER • FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF • January 20, 2009

12:05 p.m.
Barack Obama is sworn in as the nation’s 44th president, the first African-American to hold the office, taking the oath to “faithfully execute” his responsibility and “to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

He was sworn using the same bible the 16th president, Abraham Lincoln, used, making another link with the chief executive who ended slavery in the U.S.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts swore the 47-year-old Obama into office at 12:05 p.m.

11:58 a.m.
Joe Biden of Delaware is sworn in as vice president of the United States at 11:58 a.m.

This was taken from the Detroit Free press and it states that Biden was the VP before noon. So that must mean that he was acting president until Obama was sworn in. If this is true then your statement is incorrect.

O but I did Read that the Sec. Service and FBI uped Security over 4 times and had over 38 agencies from state and govt. What were they scared of?
You had almost the entire elected US Gov't (and almost the entire line of succession for the Presidency) in one spot at one time--one well-timed explosion or kamikaze run, and the US would be in utter chaos for quite some time. What was there NOT to be scared of under those circumstances?

I can honestly say I didnt lose any sleep, and you need to read Tom Clancy. Has it ever crossed your mind that Maybe I was Being Scartastic when I asked that question. Never did uh, Well I did.

It was a nice debate with you tonight.
Have a good one I'm calling it a day.

I dont believe that just happend. A lib gave up. Thats bigger history than a Black President. He might have some hope left in him.

didnt say he gave the fight up He quit arguing/debating, what ever you call it. now thats a step

whoa!!!! You guys argue some little things to the teeth! I'm just glad none of you are my ex wifes lawyer!!!!!

I wasnt staring at my watch, and I certainly didnt note the exact time biden was sworn in... but I know he was sworn in when he was was because they knew osama's wouldnt be till after noon. I dont know if it happened or not, but Biden was supposed to be the hmfic until they could all wake up from that composers secret piece..... seriously was that needed? why not ohhhhh i dont know swear in the president..... that wrote for this occasion.

I can honestly say I didnt lose any sleep, and you need to read Tom Clancy. Has it ever crossed your mind that Maybe I was Being Scartastic when I asked that question. Never did uh, Well I did.
Sorry, I didn't see the sarcasm at the time. I've read many of Tom Clancy's works, and I didn't lose any sleep either--I'm not sure losing most of those jokers would be that bad of a deal. ;)

...and I certainly didnt note the exact time biden was sworn in... but I know he was sworn in when he was was because they knew osama's wouldnt be till after noon.

I'm pretty sure the VP is always (or at least usually) sworn in first, followed by the president.

Oh, and his name is Obama, not osama.

Well, since her brief tenure is over, I wonder if Olbermann will do the 8 seconds of Condi's presidency wrap up?

However, she is a classy broad - I think one of the few members of the outgoing administration who actually rose above the dung heap that made up the Bush organization.

She will obviously be able to get work elsewhere now...

Condoleezza Rice signs with William Morris Agency

By Paul J. Gough Paul J. Gough – Thu Jan 22, 2:14 am ET

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) – Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has made a key step in her post-Bush administration career: The William Morris Agency announced Wednesday that it has signed her as a client.

The former professor and Stanford University provost has been in the Bush administration since its beginning, first as national security adviser and then as secretary of state. Her appointment ended Tuesday afternoon, after Barack Obama was sworn in as president.

Although most other members of the Bush administration, save Karl Rove, might have trouble finding such a wide-ranging deal, Rice found a strong market among talent agencies.

"It was certainly a competitive situation," said Jim Wiatt, chairman and CEO of the William Morris Agency. "She was very thorough about the process and who she would feel most comfortable with and who would be speaking on her behalf."

It's unlikely that Rice will turn up as a talking head on television, however. The deal includes William Morris representation for books, lecture appearances and philanthropic initiatives, as well as business initiatives in media, sports and communications.

WMA co-chief operating officer Wayne Kabak said that the agency was struck not only by Rice's well-rounded resume. In addition to her political career, Rice is an accomplished concert pianist as well as a big-time National Football League fan.

"It's more than just books, it's much more than just lectures," Kaback said. "We're here to help her create and enhance an agenda that is very important to her in her post-government career."

That agenda will include philanthropic efforts involving classical music and college educations for disadvantaged students, as well as initiatives to help U.S. children become global citizens.

In support of those efforts, Rice might appear on camera, but she won't be traveling the well-worn path as a news or policy analyst.

"She's not interested in being a shadow secretary of state," Kabeck said. "It's not her goal to go on morning talk shows the day after something happens. That's not what she wants to do."

Members online

No members online now.
Back